• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They have 3 developers making exclusives right now, and it seem they still have new games on their store, I don't know if they are exclusive, but they don't seem like big name games. What big name games have been released lately though, ones not from someone like Square Enix on PC (not likely to put games on anything outside of Steam)?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
They accomplished their mission of getting people to go to their store to buy and play games
Did they? Most people only use EGS and its launcher for either of these things:

1. Play Fortnite.
2. Buy or play their timed exclusives if they can't wait the game to be released in Steam/GOG.
3. Redeem the free games.

If a game is in Steam or any other storefront besides EGS, I pretty much doubt they will choose EGS.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, I guess they're diversifying.

All I know is I'm not buying "third party" exclusives on PC. Free games I'll claim.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The brave gamers stood up against the neck stompers and game ol Tim a wedgie until he pooped his pants. Now they don't have to pretend they were gonna buy Man Eater or w/e when it finally releases.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
EGS is like a mix between something like Steam and GOG. So much of the games on their store are DRM free, but some require the app to be running. The Outer Worlds was DRM free iirc. I would have gotten that on EGS but I beat it with my free Gamepass (no mod ability though).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The point of exclusives was always to get people in their store. If they are less of them it is either because we are in a strange spot and they are going to announce new exclusive games soon or they are happy with where they are now.

It is possible that they are entering in a new phase where they'll work on retention and develop/partner for their own exclusives.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers probably figured out the EGS payout isn't worth bifurcating your user base (think DLC sales) and missing out on early Steam sales.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
They are still happening but it seems the attention around them has died down somewhat. These days I usually only find a game is EGS exclusive after the fact when I stumble upon it elsewhere rather than it being news in itself. Especially if its an indie.

Oct 25, 2017
There's loads of exclusives still coming, it's just for whatever reason people have stopped getting so worked up about it and aren't making a new thread every time a game is announced as EGS exclusive.

They aren't getting much in the way of major exclusives anymore, though. The biggest gets they've announced this year are a remaster of a nearly decade-old Saints Row game and a late port of an SNK fighting game.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of mid-tier indie stuff going that route. Depending on how much is still coming out later this year we haven't even gotten to the May-June E3 announcement rush to really understand the rest of the year yet.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They are releasing Predator Hunting Grounds this week.

Maneater is in May.

As others have mentioned, Godfall is coming to EGS only at launch.

There's also a bunch of multiplayer-only titles. like Chivalry 2, AutoChess, MTG Arena....

They just haven't been snagging up big single-player games since Control and The Outer Worlds. But that's because most big Western Single Player games are from devs that have their own storefronts.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
They'll be on consoles too (so much for he tyranny of the 30%), not announced whether they'll be on other stores on PC as of yet, but I assume they'll at the very least not be on Steam, presumably not ever.
Ah I assume that's what people meant when they said EGS exclusives: PC exclusivity.

gotcha gotcha.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but I could have sworn Valve changed their contact terms and basically banned games with paid timed exclusivity on other PC storefronts from Steam. Saw something about that mentioned on here with a link.

So if Epic moneyhats a game, the publisher wouldn't be allowed to launch it on Steam later. That would also explain Epic's shift in strategy.

But maybe I'm misremembering.

Edit: think I'm misremembering partially. There was news about this but it wasn't a recent change and didn't seem to impact the stuff with EGS.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
They accomplished their mission of getting people to go to their store to buy and play games
Heh.
GQV5TTR76YI6RFQBTHKUNPXYAY.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but I could have sworn Valve changed their contact terms and basically banned games with paid timed exclusivity on other PC storefronts from Steam. Saw something about that mentioned on here with a link.

So if Epic moneyhats a game, the publisher wouldn't be allowed to launch it on Steam later. That would also explain Epic's shift in strategy.

That comes up a lot, and it's deeply misleading. The change in policy occurred before EGS was unveiled and Valve has not only not enforced that supposed rule, they supposedly actively encourage devs with EGS moneyhats to put up Steam store pages for the moneyhatted games.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: think I'm misremembering partially. There was news about this but it wasn't a recent change and didn't seem to impact the stuff with EGS.
It was a thing that had been there since forever (since at least 2011) and that an indie found when reading the terms of service and tried to raise a shit storm over it. Its not a thing.

That comes up a lot, and it's deeply misleading. The change in policy occurred before EGS was unveiled and Valve has not only not enforced that supposed rule, they supposedly actively encourage devs with EGS moneyhats to put up Steam store pages for the moneyhatted games.
It was not a change of policy. It was just stuff that had been there since the original contracts that sound worse than the actual intention (aka that all games are up-to-date in patches and steam users dont get the short end of the stick when buying a game when compared to other stores in PC, which is why you saw day and date DLC launches for Metro Exodus).

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017

For what I remember people found out that wasn't a change, finding the same term over 5 years ago.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: there's no data to support they have a sizable audience of players buying games that are exclusive or otherwise, I have no idea what people are basing these claims on. Outside of Borderlands (a game which the developer said underperformed), world war z, Metro Exodus and Satisfactory, most games have sold terribly on there.

They paid for the exclusives, so I would assume there is something in that contract that nets the dev enough money to not think about the underwhelming sales, right?

Oct 26, 2017
The made a a lot of noise early on but now they are silent

The biggest and upcoming PC games are still in fact on Steam; Bannerlord was released not even a month ago, Baldur's Gate 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Dying Light 2 are releasing on Steam and pretty much all the stuff made by Bethesda, SEGA EU, EA, Capcom, MS, Square Enix is releasing on Steam.

I can see Take-Two continuing to take EGS money but not for everything as seen by the new XCOM title.

Deep Silver and Ubisoft are in bed with Epic Games and do expect Saints Row 5, Dead Island 2 and whatever is publishing DS to be EGS only for one year and all Ubisoft games.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

It's been there since 2010-ish, so it's relic of past rather than reply to EGS like some have claimed. (When you had to actually send games to Valve to put up on Steam rather than use upload tool or webupload)

I can see Take-Two continuing to take EGS money but not for everything as seen by the new XCOM title.

Well, EGS probably wasn't interested in paying for xcom.

Oct 26, 2017
It's been there since 2010-ish, so it's relic of past rather than reply to EGS like some have claimed. (When you had to actually send games to Valve to put up on Steam rather than use upload tool or webupload)

Well, EGS probably wasn't interested in paying for xcom.

I mean they paid for a Remastered of SW3 and Ancestors, not being interested in XCOM (which is a big IP on PC) is really weird.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They paid for the exclusives, so I would assume there is something in that contract that nets the dev enough money to not think about the underwhelming sales, right?
Yes.

My point is that the strategy of exclusives has not generated a large number of users that are actively spending money at Epic Games Store. Even the exclusives are mostly selling terribly, never mind games that are not exclusive.

My theory is that Epic have dialled back on this strategy, perhaps focusing on smaller/medium games, and so what we're seeing is mostly stuff that had already been signed. The publishing strategy is a different strategy, and maybe they are hoping these games can sell better if they are promoted as never ever ever coming to Steam, rather than just being a timed exclusive.

Kinda feels like we're seeing something similar to what would have happened to the MoviePass business model if they were backed by a very wealthy company with very successful but only tangentially related separate business model.

It seemed like a stunt to lure people into the platform. They don't need to do that anymore because it worked.

Which game that is not exclusive has sold well on EGS. If there's any data to back up this assertion, I'd love to see it.

They have certainly got people on their platform. They've trained them to get the free games, buy games at extreme discounts subsidised by Epic, or at a stretch maybe buy a game if it's not also available on any other store.

Had the strategy worked, we'd be seeing games sell well on Epic store without being exclusive. I've not seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest that is happening.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Pretty sure that their project failed, as we could see from the sales numbers and tim just got bored of it and moved onto something else. Alot of publishers that used to do timed exclusives have also abandoned them and its probably just a matter of time before ubisoft goes back to steam.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't stop with the exclusives, people on here just stopped constantly making threads whenever a game is EGS exclusive. Industries of Titan just released on there, and the Coming Soon section shows Predator: Hunting Grounds, Snowrunner, Dread Nautical, and Maneater coming out over the next month or so on there.

It's also hard to know if the timed exclusives were a failure or a success when they generally don't release sales numbers. Though considering Epic's now moved on to fully funding and publishing games, I don't get the idea that it's been doing badly for them.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't stop with the exclusives, people on here just stopped constantly making threads whenever a game is EGS exclusive. Industries of Titan just released on there, and the Coming Soon section shows Predator: Hunting Grounds, Snowrunner, Dread Nautical, and Maneater coming out over the next month or so on there.

It's also hard to know if the timed exclusives were a failure or a success when they generally don't release sales numbers. Though considering Epic's now moved on to fully funding and publishing games, I don't get the idea that it's been doing badly for them.
playtracker.net

Here's how much the biggest Epic Store exclusives of 2019 sold - PlayTracker Insight

Sales estimates for the top Epic Store games, using data from the XBOX API and figures disclosed by Epic and publishers

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There's loads of exclusives still coming, it's just for whatever reason people have stopped getting so worked up about it and aren't making a new thread every time a game is announced as EGS exclusive.
A lot of the people that cared have been driven away from this site.
I mainly visit those threads to put them on the ignore list now, because trolling is rife and mods don't care. Pretty sure the official stance is that "PC is the platform" now.

EGS is like a mix between something like Steam and GOG. So much of the games on their store are DRM free, but some require the app to be running.
It's not DRM-free if it requires the client to be running to play the game. That's a form of DRM, even if there is no additional DRM like Denuvo being used.
There used to be a workaround with launch options to play these games without the client, but it no longer works in newer games (possibly older ones too - many were updated to make the client a requirement).

industries of titan released 6 days ago and its an exclusive
I obviously can't speak for anyone else; but I had no idea that it was out - and this is one of the games I had been excited about before Epic snatched it up.
Apart from the really big games, it feels like everyone basically forgot that the games with EGS exclusivity existed. There never seems to be any discussion around them at all.
And I don't think they're selling particularly well either, since my prediction of EGS exclusives being made available for free before they are even released on Steam came true a few weeks ago.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The fact they've stopped the moneyhatting and continued the game giveaways suggests to me the latter is doing more to bring people to their platform. It's probably cheaper, too, and it doesn't piss people off.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's not DRM-free if it requires the client to be running to play the game. That's a form of DRM, even if there is no additional DRM like Denuvo being used.
There used to be a workaround with launch options to play these games without the client, but it no longer works in newer games (possibly older ones too - many were updated to make the client a requirement).
A lot of the games are DRM free, being able to launch with nothing running on Windows. No Steam, no EGS, no UPlay. Some have DRM (requiring Uplay, or EGS), I mention that, that's why I say it's a mix. I know some Steam games don't require Steam to be running to launch, but it feels so rare to me.

I remember when I first discovered that games like Shogun 2 required Steam to be launched, likely because of Steamworks (long time ago). I had no idea what benefit Steamworks offered that made Steam required to run, I just wanted to be able to launch the game without Steam, quick launching it in the start menu. Now I use GOG Galaxy 2 because it feels nice, auto populate art and stuff, and feels very light. I can link most of my EGS games on it so that the launcher isn't launched then the game, it's nice. I can probably see how many of my EGS games require the launcher just by looking at my GOG Galaxy 2 list, but I haven't installed all of them and tweaked them on the app. I wish there was a list I could provide to identify which games on EGS had DRM, but even trying to see if The Outer Worlds had DRM it took me a lot of googling (it didn't).

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 month): Trolling, Long history of trolling and antagonistic posts in similar topics
it was never going to be a permanent thing regardless of all the whining, crying, and diaper filling tantrums it caused

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Their methodology is sound, and their numbers are consistent with the figures that have been released. It's not going to be absolutely 100% accurate, but the margin for error is certainly within reason.
I'm not so sure about their methodology. They're going by the amount of Windows 10 users with public profiles who have played the games. And I can't find clear answers about what that includes or excludes, or what calculations are made to factor that in, or if those calculations are made at all. If people who pirated the games, or people who bought them but didn't play/install them, are accounted for or not could change a lot here.

Still, those numbers can still be useful so it's not nothing. But I'm not sure they're necessarily of much use on their own.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I think what's happened is going Epic exclusive hurt them in the long run.

Poor sales on EGS despite the "better visibility", and by the time they launch on Steam they have to sell at current bargain bin prices. They completely blew their chance to sell at full price on the most popular PC platform, and Epic's money doesn't make up for the financial and brand damage.