• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
who are these people dodging in DMC games
you are supposed to go all out on the offensive, just stun your enemies until they cant move at all
not every game is supposed to be Bayonetta

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Don't worry about him. He's wrong and just wants to be mad at the game.

This is the death screen:

531899640.jpg
531899656.jpg

It only asks you if you want to spend a Gold Orb or Red Orbs (both obtainable in-game). It doesn't prompt you to buy anything with MTX.
I'm sorry but it really bothered me, I guess I died a lot and thought 'well, if I buy some orbs it will save me some time' and I hated that thought.

I guess I'm just allergic to that kinda stuff, currently playing AC: Odyssey and it has similar bullshit time-saving buyable stuff.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We must have played different games, DMC v is an awesome game. The only issue I had with is that it played its hand too early music wise. Devil trigger is sick and nothing afterwards compares imo.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's a great game, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that this game suffers from Mario Odyssey syndrome in that its core combat mechanics are phenomenal, but everything else about the game is subpar - although it's far more forgivable than Mario Odyssey as the game revolves around its combat mechanics far more.

tiandrad

Feb 6, 2018
DMC3 is still, by far, the best DMC. That's what happen to DMC5. To be honest the only thing keeping me from replaying DMC5 is knowing I have to play as Nero and V. I wish they could just make a Dante only dmc game again, and then add Virgil in a special edition.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say people who complain about the environments in DMC5 being "bland" but were perfectly okay with the look of DMC3's levels make much sense to me. If this isn't simply about aesthetics, and is a case of people actually missing puzzles and backtracking... yeah, still not with them on that.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
DMC3 is still, by far, the best DMC. That's what happen to DMC5. To be honest the only thing keeping me from replaying DMC5 is knowing I have to play as Nero and V. I wish they could just make a Dante only dmc game again, and then add Virgil in a special edition.
Divergence mode (play missions as any characters) would have been a great addition... Hopefully this is in DMC5:SE.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
up there with Nioh and Soul series as best action games this gen lol.
Sounds like OP can't combo for shit and came here mad af

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I agree is that environments are bland and V sucks. Else game is awesome. If you hadn't mentioned V, I would have thought you played DMC 2 hd instead of 5.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Besides it being boring, V being a drag to play with, ugly bland world, the thing that pissed me off the most was how the game wanted me to spend real money whenever i died to buy some shitty ass crystals or whatever it was, fuck you i paid full price this is not some FTP game.

Quit halfway and never looked back.
Eh, it's alright, better than the absolute mess that 4 was. Nowhere near as good as 3/DmC, but maybe they're burnt out on the ideas seeing how 5 brings so, so little to the table.
i agree the environments are very bad. DMC 2 was better
I have to agree with the OP, 5 sucked and felt clunky as hell to play. DMC was a thousand times better and had way more interesting environments.
source.gif

Its been a while these thread were this entertaining... January is a slow month but this... this I like

Last edited:

Jaybird

Sep 4, 2018
User Warned: Trolling / Antagonizing another member
It's cause you fucking suck at the game lol

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some dumb reason I thought I'd be able to pick who I play as when I replay'ed it. Was so confused when it forced me to play as V again lmao
It does seem like a missed opportunity. The levels would only need slight changes generally to work for different characters. Added platforms, etc like they did for Vergil in DMC3. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.
I'm sorry but it really bothered me, I guess I died a lot and thought 'well, if I buy some orbs it will save me some time' and I hated that thought.

I guess I'm just allergic to that kinda stuff, currently playing AC: Odyssey and it has similar bullshit time-saving buyable stuff.
Could just play some of the early levels a couple times on easier difficulties and unlock a few solid moves. It goes a long way in DMC. There's some moves that are basically essential to gameplay. It blows my mind you don't start with streak/stinger and helm breaker, for example.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just think that if the game wants you learn some deep combat system why does it allow you to beat it on the harder default difficulty without learning it? I even was getting S ranks. I memorized plenty of combos and switched weapons, while fighting, what am i Missing?
You're missing that the franchise has been about enabling a huge degree of player expression through combat mechanics for a while now. That requires there to be a lot of answers to dealing with any single problem, which in turn can lead to players to coast by on the bare minimum as long as they're not getting smacked around and they're varying up their attacks enough.

That doesn't mean the game doesn't want you to learn its combat systems. It just leaves the door open wide enough to let players discover all that nuance at their own pace like literally any anime fighting game.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Can't say people who complain about the environments in DMC5 being "bland" but were perfectly okay with the look of DMC3's levels make much sense to me. If this isn't simply about aesthetics, and is a case of people actually missing puzzles and backtracking... yeah, still not with them on that.
Plenty of people here haven't replayed Devil May Cry 3 probably since 2005. Shit people here mostly don't replay games period, explains some of the straight dreadful action game takes.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
DMCV made me realize I'm not really into DMC games anymore. I made it through Normal once, played halfway through Hard and quit. I don't really enjoy spending absurd amounts of time practicing combos like I used to, and the enemies in DMC are more or less punching bags by design so they aren't super engaging to fight.

plast

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with OP on some points, but not about the gameplay, because IMO that was fucking stellar (V excluded). Like many others in this thread, I think the level design can be a bit boring. It felt like a big chunk of the game was just variations of the same "hell" level and it got old pretty fast. And I much prefer the old graphics style to the new and "impoved" realistic one.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Go home OP, you're drunk.

My favorite in the entire series.

Yes...the environments ended up becoming kind of samey, maybe that was related to working with the RE Engine trying to target 60fps while keeping alot of the details. Overall I was blown away by everything.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Pinnacle of Combat's got them covered.

aMYTo7B.png
Lol wow that's horrible.
Still wouldn't make sense to say they look like something out of a budget title like the OP is saying.

While on the subject, I'd say it led to Trish looking the best she's ever looked after something seeming off about her in every other game.
I don't think that's where the "budget title" is maybe ?
They're talking about rehashed environments, maybe it's that ? (Their reason that is)

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not even going to argue with you on the environment point; you're completely right there. And I can even accept your point on V -- his playstyle doesn't really jive well with the rest of the cast. But everything else? Absolutely not. Everything else outside of those two flaws (and well the treatment of Lady and Trish) is the best we've ever gotten out of the series.

DmC's story is also 10x better with an equally great soundtrack by Noisia, killer presentation and a story that has an incredible pace and payoff. But it falls short with the combat.

DmC's story is fucking garbage. The writing is god-awful and it, even ignoring Dante, has one of the worst re-imaginings for a character ever seen -- turning Vergil into a fedora-wearing, proto-alt-rightist, Anonymous-wannabe was just a terrible decision.

Conversely, DMC5 FINALLY gives us the payoff for Vergil that we've all been waiting for for over 15 years. Nothing in DmC will come close to seeing him return in DMC5.

I do agree that the soundtrack was awesome though. And the environments in DmC are superior to DMC5's, but that's about it.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
This is when I post my own personal flashy moments from the game, proving that it's still a really incredible action game and no one can really argue that:

I had more but these are what I could find.

Also, this gif from SunhiLegend says it all...

DMC5 has some issues sure but when it comes to melee action gameplay, there's nothing quite like it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's where the "budget title" is maybe ?
They're talking about rehashed environments, maybe it's that ? (Their reason that is)
They were regarding it as a budget title all around, and compared it negatively to its predecessors. Considering DMC4's actual problem with rehashed environments, that would make even less sense.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
It's a good looking game. Character models are dope, lip syncing is a little iffy though. Not a fan of the environment.

Not really a fan of their block system either, having to use the jump button or whatever ISN stupid.

Personally I liked DMC3 and DmC more. I didn't get past chapter 10 I think on 5, it just didn't click.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It was fun but I can only enjoy hacking & slaying in the most boring & bland levels for so long

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's a one and done game for me. I had the most fun with Nero. The level design was god awful. I feel like the game could have been challenge tower with each floor being an arena and would'nt have lost anything. That's how awful the level design was.
Also the bosses were pretty lacking besides Vergil.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I liked it but it didn't leave a big impression for some reason... I suppose the combat is masterful if you spend enough time to learn those crazy combos. It takes long to get there though, much longer than beating the game. I don't think I was bad at the game, got some SSS combos, but it never was as stylish as I hoped I guess :P

My first DMC game btw

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed what I played of 5 but I found it to be lacking in a lot of areas.

I know criticizing DMC''s level design sometimes gets push back from fans that would be fine with a DMC that has nothing but bloody palace but I really hope the next game tries to have more interesting level design and environments and never forces players to play certain characters. Atleast having the option to replay the game with any character would have made DMC5 way more enjoyable for me as V's combat is just awful.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed what I played of 5 but I found it to be lacking in a lot of areas.

I know criticizing DMC''s level design sometimes gets push back from fans that would be fine with a DMC that has nothing but bloody palace but I really hope the next game tries to have more interesting level design and environments and never forces players to play certain characters. Atleast having the option to replay the game with any character would have made DMC5 way more enjoyable for me as V's combat is just awful.
I've seen this argument before, and find it every bit as reductive as I did then. No one complaining ever bothers explaining exactly what it is that they DO want, other than suggesting that they wanted the same garish color saturation, Bayonetta-esque environment warping, and They Live subliminal message rip-offs that DmC had.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Most of the level design isn't great, Lady and Trish are mainly there to be objectified and I would prefer to just play as one character, but the combat is still great and it looks gorgeous too, along with a great soundtrack. We need Vergil DLC, but also Lady and Trish DLC so they can actually have them do something.

I'd say DMC3 is still the best one, but I'd say this is the strongest one since then. Just make sure you are playing on Son of Sparda otherwise there is no real challenge and it can feel kinda boring.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
This game seems budget? DMC4 made you go through the same areas backwards and fight the same bosses. But this one is budgeted?

Oct 27, 2017
I liked 5 but it could have been much better. An actual good level design would be great. Interesting looking enviorments would be another good thing. Basically, what I want is something varied. Multiple routes in stages, puzzles, secret bosses, secrets. Something more than going down a samey looking corridor and killing shit.
Combat was perfect but that's it for me.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Ok DMC fans....just got into DMC this year. By that I mean I started with DmC, bought DMC5 and played just a little of DMC4 before it left Game Pass. DMC5 is a top 10 game of the gen for me and I'm on the last boss of my 3rd playthrough (Dante Must Die). Does DMC3 hold up after 5? I hear a lot of you putting it in the same class as NGB. Holds up or we only talking great for it's time?

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this argument before, and find it every bit as reductive as I did then. No one complaining ever bothers explaining exactly what it is that they DO want, other than suggesting that they wanted the same garish color saturation, Bayonetta-esque environment warping, and They Live subliminal message rip-offs that DmC had.
Good level design keeps things fresh and interesting. It doesn't have the player play through the same boring city sections or use the shitty looking qlipoth as much as 5 does. It doesn't repeat the same mechanics like the roots blocking your way. They introduce that at the beginning and it never changes for the rest of the game. I don't really mind linear level design but if you are going to use it at least introduce more than a couple of locations that are bland the first time we visit them and never really create a sense of place within the game world.

If you want an example of good level design in a character action game look at Ninja Gaiden Black. It does a great job of creating a sense of place, introduces new mechanics that requires the player to think and is constantly changing the environment all while being semi connected. It's almost perfect. Even Ninja Gaiden 2 has better level design than 5 does.