• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Bears used to be very popular animals in pop culture, especially the 80s. You had Smokey the Bear, the GOAT PSA mascot. McGruff the crime dog was a scrub. Yogi Bear was pretty fun characters for a while. You had the 86 Super Bowl Shuffle championship Bears of the NFL. You also had Care Bears. And then you also had the massively popular Teddy Ruxpin. Baloo of the Jungle book and later Tale Spin was also great.

Disney Animation had Brother Bear, but it underperformed heavily. I guess we have Kung Fu Panda? That's been a successful series at least.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Oct 26, 2017
They're trying to lay low and ride out their negative portrayal in The Revenant, waiting for people to think they're cute and cuddly and not the giant murder teddies they actually are.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
To answer the question, they changed the spelling of Berenstein Bears (correct spelling), which ripped a hole in the Universe and killed all bear popularity.

Mar 30, 2019
Tough question. So many icons though. As the world shrunk and became more international from the internet, many other animals (rightfully) were brought into the spotlight. I love my bearthren, but I like sharing it with all the tast-uh-interesting new faces of the animal diaspora. But in any case.

youtu.be

Morpheus - we are still here

WE ARE STILL HERE!!!!!

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I remember bears in Brave. Also Banjo came back last year. Hopefully he gets a full revival. He's the best bear.

higuma

May 17, 2019
Really chuffed at all the bear names/avatars in this thread.

It's a tricky space to navigate, being a big fan of bears. I love bears, but I'm not a furry. I'm also not into gay bears, although I am gay. Lots of qualifications you have to put out when you say "I love bears".

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime the defense gets decent they forget that they actually need a QB to sustain an NFL offense.

It has been a constant thing my whole life.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
First of all great topic OP, second bears were canceled when a rabid one chased you in Condemned 2, the worst sequel in video game history. From there you had mutant talking bears imitating your friends in Coherence, that bear upnorth that knocked down and bashed up my grandpa's deer feeder thing full of corn, the list goes on.

This too.