• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

Matt from the former Super Best Friends play and MaximillianDood explain what exactly happened to MVCI.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can break it down for you :

- Ugly game
- Garbage mechanics / gameplay (The game is kinda fun in training tho')
- No X-Men
- No budget

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I can break it down for you :

- Ugly game
- Garbage mechanics / gameplay (The game is kinda fun in training tho')
- No X-Men
- No budget

Well, 3/4 anyway.

I think the game plays beautifully and was significantly better than BBTag or FighterZ from a mechanics stand-point, which makes the presentation and character pool sinking the game from first sight such a shame.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly Capcom is probalby going to stick to just Street Fighter from now on in terms of fighting games which is a damn shame. I wouldn't be suprised if the next game took elements from MK11 and I2 like costumes and other stuff in their next game

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly Capcom is probalby going to stick to just Street Fighter from now on in terms of fighting games which is a damn shame. I wouldn't be suprised if the next game took elements from MK11 and I2 like costumes and other stuff in their next game
I am just hoping the next Capcom fighting game is a game using all their Capcom franchises but i am not holding my breath at this point.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone (justifiably) talks about how many Marvel groups were lost, namely the X-Men, but more of a stink needs to be made about the Capcom series that didn't come back.

No Viewtiful Joe. No Okami. No Mega Man series other than X. No Phoenix Wright (which is still getting games!)

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it wasn't stream friendly.

You need bullshit on screen that's fun to watch.

SF5 and MVCI was a game for pros who complained of all the bullshit in sf4/mvc3 and wanted FOOTSIES™ and SMART GAMEPLAY BASED ON PLAYER SKILL.

well bam, monkey's paw. Slow ass gameplay, less shit on screen, and a ho-hum pallete.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame that Marvel's stupid and petty feud with FOX basically tanked the entire MvC series.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think as Marvel is trying to become more hands on with their licenses it really clashed with Capcoms style and thats probably why you get this awful mishmash of everyones worst habits rolled into one dumpster fire.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

SF5 and MVCI was a game for pros who complained of all the bullshit in sf4/mvc3 and wanted FOOTSIES™ and SMART GAMEPLAY BASED ON PLAYER SKILL.

well bam, monkey's paw. Slow ass gameplay, less shit on screen, and a ho-hum pallete.
SFV's boring to watch?

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Just as a reminder to everyone posting, "Wha Happun" isn't a review series, it's more like a deep dive on the development process behind games/movies/whatever—not a statement about why people reacted to it the way they did, but an outlining of why the game is the way it is at all

Last edited:

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Everyone (justifiably) talks about how many Marvel groups were lost, namely the X-Men, but more of a stink needs to be made about the Capcom series that didn't come back.

No Viewtiful Joe. No Okami. No Mega Man series other than X. No Phoenix Wright (which is still getting games!)

The Capcom roster was totally baffling. I love Mega Man X and Darkstalkers but I don't think that Sigma and Jedah should have got in if the rest of the roster was going to be so barren. Same thing with Arthur and Firebrand... how did every DMC character except Dante get cut but G&G kept its two reps? For RE we lost Jill and Wesker but kept Nemesis? Why is Spencer (still with his failed reboot design by default) there at all???

Monster Hunter being relegated to DLC was a terrible decision too. That's an announcement that should have been used to hype the base game.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, what are you talking about? Both games seem to favor new players / stream monster's "just do it" mentality. Both games let you say FUCK NEUTRAL and cancel your haymaker flailing attacks into either v trigger, a tag, or some variant of -2/+2 situation. The games are kinetic as fuck. That's why so many people hate them.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think as Marvel is trying to become more hands on with their licenses it really clashed with Capcoms style and thats probably why you get this awful mishmash of everyones worst habits rolled into one dumpster fire.
For what it's worth, Marvel is starting to be less controlling if MUA3 is any indication.

Nov 1, 2017
I mean this topic has been done to death and i don't quite understand why people even need to make new videos about it. The writing was on the wall before the game even launched, frankly. It's well trodden territory. If Capcom ever wanna make a new MvC they better make sure the contract they sign with Disney doesn't let them entirely fuck the game up (although all the Capcom roster issues are purely down to them of course).

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, Marvel is starting to be less controlling if MUA3 is any indication.

Theres probably a fair amount of turnover when it comes to those positions (and its been enough years) but I think Capcom USA has a lot of blame here as well, the US branches are always yelling that they know what US customers want, they finally got the power to make some calls here and it showed.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Theres probably a fair amount of turnover when it comes to those positions (and its been enough years) but I think Capcom USA has a lot of blame here as well, the US branches are always yelling that they know what US customers want, they finally got the power to make some calls here and it showed.
What might you be referring to exactly

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean this topic has been done to death and i don't quite understand why people even need to make new videos about it. The writing was on the wall before the game even launched, frankly. It's well trodden territory. If Capcom ever wanna make a new MvC they better make sure the contract they sign with Disney doesn't let them entirely fuck the game up (although all the Capcom roster issues are purely down to them of course).
Despite popular belief, Disney isn't really that involved in the affairs of Marvel Games. Any corporate meddling on the Marvel side was entirely on Marvel Entertainment.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The Capcom roster was totally baffling. I love Mega Man X and Darkstalkers but I don't think that Sigma and Jedah should have got in if the rest of the roster was going to be so barren. Same thing with Arthur and Firebrand... how did every DMC character except Dante get cut but G&G kept its two reps? For RE we lost Jill and Wesker but kept Nemesis? Why is Spencer (still with his failed reboot design by default) there at all???

Monster Hunter being relegated to DLC was a terrible decision too. That's an announcement that should have been used to hype the base game.
Sigma and Jedah make sense because they play big roles in the story, but so many of the other Capcom characters do nothing.

Nemesis and Firebrand are just mooks, and Spencer doesn't do anything of note. Meanwhile, mega-popular characters like Vergil and Wesker got left out even though they could've been important to the story.

And this isn't even touching on how Capcom completely failed to synergize with their upcoming or recent releases. No RE7 content even though that was out and selling well (nor RE2 stuff, which we all knew was getting a remake), Monster Hunter was DLC even though World would be out in less than half a year (and none of her kit or stage was from World), DMC5 would be announced less than a year later but no Vergil or Nero, no Street Fighter V characters, etc.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Reading the comments shitting on the game was more engaging than watching the game on Twitch, and this is from a lifelong MvC fan.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isnt the point of these videos lmao
The video basically takes 24 minutes to say the exact same things (except that they actually seem to like the gameplay). It's largely about the game's lack of time/budget, poor character roster, and poor art design.

The only additional thing they seem to touch on is that MVCI kinda got screwed out of a slot at Evo, and I would like to hear more about that. There are quotes that basically say "Yeah, Capcom is really great and supportive -- but we just can't get the rights for everything." It seems to vaguely imply that Marvel was somehow preventing MVCI from making it into the tournament.......I guess in the same way that Japanese rights holders kept getting Dragonball yanked out of the lineup.

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so where are the players, then ?

Fighting games still live and die based on viewership and fan service. If the game is ugly as sin and has none of the fanbase's favourite characters, there's only so much the gameplay can do. Plus, at the time of release, there was already a fat more promising tag game on the horizon in terms of DBFZ.

Ironically, DBFZ has dropped off quite a bit due to gameplay issues and slow updates.

Nov 1, 2017
Sigma and Jedah make sense because they play big roles in the story, but so many of the other Capcom characters do nothing.

Nemesis and Firebrand are just mooks, and Spencer doesn't do anything of note. Meanwhile, mega-popular characters like Vergil and Wesker got left out even though they could've been important to the story.

And this isn't even touching on how Capcom completely failed to synergize with their upcoming or recent releases. No RE7 content even though that was out and selling well (nor RE2 stuff, which we all knew was getting a remake), Monster Hunter was DLC even though World would be out in less than half a year (and none of her kit or stage was from World), DMC5 would be announced less than a year later but no Vergil or Nero, no Street Fighter V characters, etc.

Yeah as much deserved grief as the Marvel side of things gets the Capcom side was arguably worse. Marvel's roster is actually fairly solid if you ignore the obvious huge glaring lack of iconic Xmen characters, but god what a missed opportunity for Capcom. Where the hell is Asura? V from DMC5 could have made a great character with an interesting moveset although in fairness it would be weird to show off a character for a game that hasn't even been announced yet. Although... i think it would actually be cool to have a character from an unreleased game. Everyone is like "Who on earth is this guy?" and then DMC5 comes out and it all becomes clear. Anyway, if nothing else MvC:I should serve as a nice example of what not to do for the future.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as much deserved grief as the Marvel side of things gets the Capcom side was arguably worse. Marvel's roster is actually fairly solid if you ignore the obvious huge glaring lack of iconic Xmen characters, but god what a missed opportunity for Capcom. Where the hell is Asura? V from DMC5 could have made a great character with an interesting moveset although in fairness it would be weird to show off a character for a game that hasn't even been announced yet. Although... i think it would actually be cool to have a character from an unreleased game. Everyone is like "Who on earth is this guy?" and then DMC5 comes out and it all becomes clear. Anyway, if nothing else MvC:I should serve as a nice example of what not to do for the future.
Maaaaaaaaan I would have LOVED V in a versus game, and now I feel the ship has sailed :/

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

A character from an unreleased game is a really cool idea, though V would have very obviously been from a future DMC game because of his minions (unless they went unnamed, and even then, people would most likely figure it out).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately there just aren't enough details about the game's development to make an interesting Wha Happun video on it.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Okay, so where are the players, then ?

They're playing games that are/were supported by their publishers. The amount of people playing a game isn't always indicative of the quality of gameplay mechanics.

Your other 3 points were enough to ruin any chance the game had to succeed but that doesn't mean that the game had no redeeming qualities. There's a reason people were upset the game didn't get more support or the rest of the DLC characters. It's because they wanted the game to do well because the gameplay was really good.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Something they didn't touch on heavily, but regardless of the X-men/Fantastic Four situation, the game just outright launched with about 31 characters, while MvC3 vanilla launched with 38 characters (2 on-disc DLC included) and MvC2 launched with 55.

Even if you took out the X-men, they didn't put a lot of characters in there to compensate. Even with all the DLC, the game still has fewer characters AFTER DLC than vanilla MvC3 had at release.

AND... they just friggin' re-released MvC3: Ultimate just a few months before MvC:I. Sure it was older, but it had a bigger roster, more content, and people still enjoyed it and played it, making the shortcomings of MvC:I all the more readily apparent.

Nov 1, 2017
A character from an unreleased game is a really cool idea, though V would have very obviously been from a future DMC game because of his minions (unless they went unnamed, and even then, people would most likely figure it out).

Yeah true, but they could use that to their advantage as well. DMC5 had been rumored for quite a while before it was finally shown off at E3, IIRC around about the time of MVC:I. Maybe they could have done some sort of ARG promotional tie in. Keep dropping little hints or bits and pieces here and there about what game V comes from. Am i right in thinking the first DMC5 trailer only showed off Nero and Dante? That would have driven people nuts if they assumed he was from the new DMC game until they finally showed him off. If nothing else it would have gotten people talking.

Anyway i'm getting off topic but yeah, god damn it Capcom you have such iconic characters. No one wanted fucking Firebrand or Arthur over the cooler potential additions and i'm pretty sure Combofiend is one of a select few people that actually enjoys Bionic Commando guy. And hell, even if you only shoved those guys in because you could reuse their moves/animations etc at least pick better characters to recycle. It's like it was some sort of petulant "Here you go, you wanted X? Now you fucking have him and you're getting almost no one else. Happy?"

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I could never really get behind the fan anger over the Functions comment.

Combofiend was right and is still right. But it just goes to show that characters and presentation really are the most important things in the genre.