• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting pretty close to the holidays and all I've bought stuff for is my dad. I bought him the Caavo universal remote/home theater system, since my parents have like 5 boxes hooked up to the TV and can never keep the clickers for each of them straight.

I'm on the fence about buying my older sister a pair of airpods, but that's a bit higher than the cost of gifts we usually get for eachother.

No idea what to get my Mom.

And my little sister I'll probably get some high quality art thing or something since she's studying to be an artist. Maybe a tshirt with one of the manga/anime she likes? Or those shitty gianthead chibi anime figures? Nenbot or whatever? I think she'd like those.

That's where I'm at, how about you? (this is a shameless attempt to steal gift ideas because wirecutter/NYT hasn't added enough to their list and I've already bought most of the stuff I think my family'd like).

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Nothing. The one good thing about not having a family is not having to spend money for the holidays.

I've had no contact with my parents or my younger sister for 3 years. I send them a christmas and birthday card every year but that's it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None, no real family to speak of.

I did buy my buddys kid Mario Kart 8 since he's getting her a Switch. Looking forward to that one.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't bought much yet but it's mostly going to be chocolate. Chocolate is great because everybody likes it, impossible for anyone to be disappointed with chocolate. I just have to hope they dont realise I bought everybody chocolate.

Sirenja

Oct 27, 2017
Got them tickets for a musical in March - it's ABBA themed so i'm sure they will enjoy it :)

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Just some stuff they asked for: tools, cookware, clothes and video games. I think I might get my little brother a midi controller for his birthday (the 26th), but I don't know a damn thing about them, so I have to do some digging.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
A new phone for my mom (Samsung Galaxy A6) and a gift card for a sports store my dad buys his cycling material at. My dad loves tinkering with bikes and it's something he's always happy with, even though gift cards aren't that personal.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I bought my dad a really nice Hamon Karden portable Bluetooth speaker, a carrying case for it, and the Scorsese Rolling Stones Doc on blu-ray.

I got my mom a few blu-rays and some smaller stuff, but I made her a custom deck of horror themed playing cards and a wooden box to hold them.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just some stuff they asked for: tools, cookware, clothes and video games. I think I might get my little brother a midi controller for his birthday (the 26th), but I don't know a damn thing about them, so I have to do some digging.
What kind of music does your brother make? Do you know what program he uses, and would the midi controller be for home use or live performances?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I sent almost all of them cards with $50 in each last night. Sent my diabetic father a "gourmet" gift basket of sausages and other meats and cheeses and sauces or whatever, along with a $100 Amazon credit via eCard or whatever they call it.

My best friend got a crown, scepter, and this. Also an Amazon gift card (I'm brown, he's white, and we joke about it via gifts - this year he is "King of all Whites" - last year he bought me a Bruce Lee collection). I consider him family.

My mom duke is on hard times so I wired her $500. I also plan on cooking her Christmas dinner.

I am fond of my ex's little sister so I am sending her a PS4 Pro. She's a broke college student gamer slumming it with a Xbox One. I also consider her family. She's awesome, even though she beats me like a sissy in every online game we play together.

I think that's it.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dad - gift card
Mom - knife set
Sister - clothes for her kids
Wife - food processor and a tattoo

Basically whatever they told me they wanted.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't keep in touch with my family much, I only see most of them a few times throughout the year. So I got most everyone gift cards because I don't know what they like and they can just buy whatever they want. I know a lot of people think gift cards are lame but honestly there are a lot of times I wish my parents had just got me gift cards or cash than whatever weird thing they thought I wanted.

But my parents have absolutely everything under the sun and enough money to buy anything they want, so instead I got them a custom photo book with pictures of my kid's life.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of music does your brother make? Do you know what program he uses, and would the midi controller be for home use or live performances?
He plays the piano, guitar and has learned a little about drums. He's expressed some interest in making music, but not what kind. I think he has Vegas on his personal laptop and Adobe on the family computer I set up for them. If/when I get one for him I was just gonna research if any work with what he has.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I got my sister's kids a couple of cheap toys. I haven't worked in over a month, since I had surgery, so everyone told me not to worry about Christmas this year. Makes me feel like even more of a worthless failure.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Mom: A microwave: She doesn't have one so I decided to get her one.
Dad and Stepmom: gift card to Red Lobster
Little sister: Money
Little brother and other little sister: gift card to best buy

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He plays the piano, guitar and has learned a little about drums. He's expressed some interest in making music, but not what kind. I think he has Vegas on his personal laptop and Adobe on the family computer I set up for them. If/when I get one for him I was just gonna research if any work with what he has.
Awesome, well good luck finding something for him. The nice thing about MIDI controllers / keyboards is they're pretty universal but certain ones are pre mapped to certain software or even come with software.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Well it's sad cause my family isn't here in London.
But i bought my friend (Boy) a T-Shirt and a bag and for another friend (this one is a girl) i bought iphone 10!

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
Mom: Amazon Echo Spot
Fiance: MacBook Air and some jewelry
Brother: Mizuno running shoes and an art book

We're a pretty small family so it allows us to splurge a bit more.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
I got my mom a fancy water bottle that has an interior hand pump so it can be pressurized and turn into a water mister, and some wine-infused coffee beans. I bought her spouse a set of foot steps that hook onto the door latch of her Ford F-150 truck so she can more easily access its roof. Dad got a set of kabob sticks that are baskets instead of skewers and some Penzy BBQ spices, and little brother is getting a new twin-sized foam mattress along with a encasement cover to protect it from insects and moisture (he lives in a trailer in the woods. Seriously.)

The kids under 17 all get gifts. When I was a kid, Christmas and birthdays was the only time we got new toys; we didn't have the money to spend on those items outside of the holidays. Sometimes I got stuck with clothes instead of toys. Now that I can afford, everyone gets toys so they have at least something fun. Once they turn 18 they can join the family white elephant exchange.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Got my mom a Roku express so she doesn't have to keep relying on her ancient crash prone laptop to watch Netflix, and giving my kid cash that he will probably put towards his car fund.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Mom - Statue of Liberty 21042
Dad - Pop-up Book 21315
Sister and Brother-in-law: Disney Castle 71040

Guess where I work!

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Gift "cards", as in I just print whatever gets emailed to me, fold them up and write their names on each one. I'm a low-effort holiday shopper. I don't care.

I go all-out cooking food for Christmas dinner though because that's my favorite part.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Mum - £20 in a card
Step Dad - £20 in a card
Sister - £20 in a card
Grandma - £20 jumper, £30 Christmas tree, £10 Funko Pop (she loves them), £30 watch, £10 DVD
Aunty - £13 Lindt chocolate box

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Mum - Angel necklace and box of chocolate.
Dad - Cognac and box of chocolate.
Brother - Box of Chocolate.
Niece - Frozen story book and box of chocolate.

For me - 5 box of chocolate.