• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I was watching an IGN video where they had Ryan McAffrey and another bloke who runs the PlayStation podcast, and they were posed a question as to what would win them over to the other side. A major point Ryan indicated was that he preferred the shooters of Xbox, namely FPS in Halo, and felt Sony was not as invested in the genre with Resistance and Killzone MIA for a while now, as well as his preference for Halo's gunplay.

This got me thinking: especially with diversity in genre becoming the backbone of the three major platform holders, what games do you think they are currently missing/lacking in terms of output.

Personally:

Microsoft: Horror, Third-Person Action Adventure, RPG (but that's about to change between Obsidian, InXile and Playground) and Stealth.

Sony: Racing (especially with GT no longer near annual and Driveclub shut down), Simulation, Strategy, FPS.

Nintendo: Horror, FPS (but Metroid Prime 4 will hopefully rectify that), RTS (They're great for SRPG though) and Stealth.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is really lacking in FPS. MP4 ain't gonna change that since it has different intentions

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Microsoft: Action Adventure

Sony: Arcade Racing

Nintendo: Racing in general

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony, RPGs. Nintendo, shooters and or racers. Microsoft, single player adventure games (like Zelda).

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I would've said Microsoft needs a good 3D platformer and they have the right IP for it in Banjo, but they're getting Double Fine and as many Psychonautses as they want so do that please.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I would've said Microsoft needs a good 3D platformer and they have the right IP for it in Banjo, but they're getting Double Fine and as many Psychonautses as they want so do that please.
God I can't fucking wait for Psychonauts 2

I replayed Psychonauts recently and it's just...

512x512bb.jpg

The levels, the characters, the HUMOR

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Rpgs, point click adventure games, racing games, and a hundred other genres.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
God I can't fucking wait for Psychonauts 2

I replayed Psychonauts recently and it's just...
The levels, the characters, the HUMOR
Yeah dude. And with current/next gen hardware I can't begin to imagine the crazy mindscapey nonsense they're going to get up to. The brains here are going to be absolutely bonkers and I need them in my life.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft: RPGs

Sony: Racing games (this current gen was a joke in comparison to previous PlayStation gens for this genre—goodness)

Nintendo: Shooters I guess? I don't really feel that it's necessary for Nintendo though.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I agree with the you OP.

I think that all the players could rectify the situation.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a 1st party-only question?

If yes, then Sony is clearly missing a 1st party JRPG and 1st party horror game.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
All three need more RPGs, strategy games, and adventure games.

Do it, cowards.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah dude. And with current/next gen hardware I can't begin to imagine the crazy mindscapey nonsense they're going to get up to. The brains here are going to be absolutely bonkers and I need them in my life.
I remember years ago, Double Fine contracted some external devs to redo the Whispering Rock Summer Camp as an art test for Psychonauts 2 going forward and it looked SOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Watching all the footage they've released since then you can tell that some of the crazier ideas they had that were limited by tech are finally able to be realized. Fuck, can't wait.

Oct 29, 2017
Actual RPGs. All three of them are lacking in this genre.

You must be joking... Nintendo are actually the world's biggest JRPG publisher (Yes, even bigger than Square-Enix; who actually rely heavily on Nintendo for publishing their own games for them).

Nintendo are lacking in a lot of genres (Sports perhaps being their biggest genre hole of all), but RPGs aint one of them!

Last edited:

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Sony needs racing games. Or maybe I need Sony racing games. -_- They're all dead.
Motorstorm, Driveclub, Wipeout, Jet Moto, Motortoon, Destruction Derby, Downhill Domination...

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony: First-Party FPS.

Nintendo: Good third-party racing games beyond kart racers.

Xbox: JRPGs / first-party RPGs.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sony: Third person story driven adventures. The output from PS3 and PS4 was a good start, But they need a lot fucking more. The potential of worlds, characters and VA's who can bring it all to life on PS5 could be endless.

Hopefully they don't waste resources trying to chase genres that won't bring in the same passion of reactions like a cinematic adventure does.

OSPC

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Consoles are a wasteland for many genres

- Arena FPS
- CRPGs
- Sandbox games
- Grand Strategy
- Real-time strategy
- MMORPG
- Roguelikes
- Military Sims
- Space Sims
- Flight Sims
- Visual novels
- City building/management
- MOBA
- Point & click adventures
- Virtual Reality

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
First parties need to fill in the holes left by third parties on their platform. So..

Sony: Arcade racers
MS: 3rd person action adventure games and JRPGs
Nintendo: FPS and survival horror

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
For my personal tastes I'd say W/CRPGs and more grand strategy rather than tactics-focused strategy. But I don't really expect much of that.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly not their focus anymore.
Is that why they "need"it ?

Alright, so folks seem to really be honing in on the word "need." Don't take it so literally.

Obviously first-party-developed games in most of the genres mentioned in this thread are not "needed." Sony is doing fine without its own JRPG. Nintendo is doing fine without its own FPS. etc.

People are just talking about what they want to see. I want to see a AAA budget JRPG from Sony.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love for Microsoft to invest in their own AAA JRPG franchise and AAA Survival Horror franchise.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Sony: JRPG

I know Persona 5 is not a first-party game but it's by far the best PS4 exclusive IMO. Nintendo is completely decimating Sony when it comes to first-party JRPGs and even Microsoft is showing more interest in the genre than Sony which is fucking pathetic.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's JRPG line up this generation was... not really great. So I'd definitely argue there. I'd also say Platformers and Kid/Family targeted ones, though in their defense, those have not been doing all that well as of late, so curious if that's in their multi-platform strategy or not. That said, probably most definitely these two.

Nintendo, it's really just First Person Shooters, though thankful Bethesda is giving that some attention. I'd make the argument of Horror, but it at least has a lot of backlog ported.

Microsoft, it's really the same issue with Sony, I'd argue? Though they did seem to have more Platformers than them, in terms of co-funding and first/second party titles, even if the scale was arguably lower. Still, those are two areas I feel both companies could improve on.

That said, if we were solely talking first party, I feel like there'd be a lot I could discuss, but that's really my main issue there. Also not enough Dino Crisis or Ape Escape.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'll keep hammering SIE for future new JRPGs & Japanese anime style.

Man, it doesn't have to be realistic Western almost all the time in their games...

More Gravity Rush and old Ape Escape style please.