• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I have tried 3Dmark and the Crytek Neo Noir benchmark, and neither can tank my frame rate. I'm looking for something that'll tank my frame rate into the teens or even single digits.

This sounds like I'm bragging, but it's not what you think. Let me give you some context.

I just bought a new gaming PC for my nephew for Christmas. He's the valedictorian at his graduation. However, being Asian means he's not allowed to have fun. I bought him a 3DS years ago, and I still hear his parents bitch about it to this day. It's not an exaggeration, they were complaining during Thanksgiving last month. This is where the gaming benchmark comes in. I want to run a horrible looking slideshow to demonstrate that it's NOT a powerful PC that can game. So far I've tested 3Dmark and Neo Noir (Ultra 1080p) and I'm shocked. I remember 3Dmark's CPU test at least will cripple anything into the single digits with frame tearing up the ass. It now runs between 35-60fps even during the CPU test. I'm looking for something to tank to frame rates to show this is a serious work PC for my nephew and that he's not allowed to have fun.

It's a Ryzen 3600x with a GTX 1660 Super.

Any help with this weird request is appreciated.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it available for free? I just downloaded the basic free version to run some tests. That video looks really smooth. Though I guess they might be running really powerful hardware.
you need a 2060 at minimum since it's a ray tracing benchmark. anything less just won't perform all that well.

and it's not free, but you can get all of the 3DMark suite if you don't mind dropping $4.50

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I want to run a horrible looking slideshow to demonstrate that it's NOT a powerful PC that can game.
This seems like something they'll figure out one day, no? You and your nephew are just gonna keep this lie going? Just sounds difficult. Why even mention the gaming at all? Just say it's a good computer that's built to last and not to become obsolete any time soon.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I don't mean to impose on the personal matter of the issue, but I can't help thinking there must be an easier way of handling this.

Are they really going to be convinced by seeing one benchmark running at one time? It seems their reasoning is incredibly flawed, especially considering that gaming is possible on any PC these days so what is the point of limiting your hardware? Not only that, but if you're limited to weak hardware, chances are you'll seek out addicting and unfinishable games such as League of Legends, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, Fortnite etc. rather than games like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil.

To answer your topic however, you could try a frame-limiter!

Last edited:

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Downsampling from a high enough resolution will turn many modern games into framerate-crippling slideshows, and they'll get to see the games actually running badly too.

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This seems like something they'll figure out one day, no? You and your nephew are just gonna keep this lie going? Just sounds difficult. Why even mention the gaming at all? Just say it's a good computer that's built to last and not to become obsolete any time soon.

His parents aren't tech savvy people. Watch a "video game" stutter horribly will convince them it doesn't have the power to game. Besides work, the other thing they know is that you can play games on PCs.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean to impose on the personal matter of the issue, but I can't help thinking there must be an easier way of handling this.

Are they really going to be convinced by seeing one benchmark running at one time? It seems their reasoning is incredibly flawed, especially considering that gaming is possible on any PC these days so what is the point of limiting your hardware? Not only that, but if you're limited to weak hardware, chances are you'll seek out addicting and unfinishable games such as League of Legends, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, Minecraft, Fortnite etc. rather than games like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil.

To answer your topic however, you could try a frame-limiter!
Trust me, people who aren't tech literate have a very different perception of what functionality looks like. My dad for example is convinced multiplayer is heavier than video streaming in terms of internet bandwidth usage.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you even demonstrate it?
"I got a good deal on this computer and you did well in school, hopefully it can help get you through college"
For what it's worth I had a friend with a similar situation in high school. I couldn't relate because my parents couldn't give two shits, but he was able to sell his dad on how fast it could perform mathematical computations. He got the computer to play games and his dad was happy when he got into medical school, so everyone won

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you even demonstrate it?
"I got a good deal on this computer and you did well in school, hopefully it can help get you through college"
For what it's worth I had a friend with a similar situation in high school. I couldn't relate because my parents couldn't give two shits, but he was able to sell his dad on how fast it could perform mathematical computations. He got the computer to play games and his dad was happy when he got into medical school, so everyone won

The first thing they said when I told them I'm buying the kid a new computer was "no video games".

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
This sounds like a horribly convulsed plan that's bound to fail and hurt both you, your nephew, and increase the rift between him and his parents.

What kind of non-tech savvy people are going to understand what something "running bad" means anyway? Just seeing it run a 3d game will probably convince them it IS for gaming.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You can say the PC is powerful, but to run work PC software or whatever.

I feel bad for him.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
Quake 2 RTX, basically a 20 years old game that can't really be played smoothly unless you have a raytracing capable card

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Is your nephew in on this? Like does he love games and hide that from his parents?

I can't speak for him, but he definitely enjoys video games. He has his head on straight so he's not some obsessive gamer. There are games he looks forward to. He's definitely in on it.

Ok? Just don't install steam on it and it's no different from any computer in their eyes, no?

Computer = Video Games

They aren't tech savvy enough to know what Steam does.

EDIT: Use the Heaven benchmark and crank the settings - https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven

Unigine worked. I set it to 8K and ran the game benchmark. Looks horrific. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.