• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
RDR2. I enjoyed the story and world enough that the length didn't bother me at all.

yep - for this gen, it was red dead redemption 2. tho i even had to take a break at one point, the game's just so gorgeous, & so loaded with atmosphere & personality, that i eventually ended up going back in after finishing just to muck around for a couple weeks. a contender for generation-defining game if ever there was one...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by a lot of people's opinions here... Final Fantasy 7 remake. My hype for this game was pretty high and I thought it over delivered on its hype honestly. Just a phenomenal game top to bottom and I enjoyed every single second of it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okami. I agree that the boss rush at the end is unnecessary and just flat out bad, but I'll never agree with the people that say the game should have ended after the Moon Cave or Oni Island.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey and Hollow Knight, I remember these in particular because they were both in competition for my GotY. The former is really padded if you're going after all unique Moons, but I didn't really care because it's a joy to play. Hollow Knight is very long and a slow burn in terms of pacing, but I still think it's incredible.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
All of them, as a general rule. If I like something a lot, it can't really overstay its welcome for me.

Also wanna mention as a side note that optional bloat is not bloat.

The king of which is Donkey Kong 64, a game that I love partially because of, not in spite of, its massive haul of collectibles.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
somehow I managed to sink 100+ hours each into each of the 3 Xenoblade games and i'm still not sure how

but honestly I always burn out on the side content eventually so I guess they're also kinda too bloated for me in a sense

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
RE4 is the only one I hear complaints about that I wouldn't want to lose anything from. Even the games listed here that I've played and liked I've liked in spite of the bloat and I would have liked them better if they were shorter.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Can't get enough of Persona gameplay. The fact that P5 goes on forever is a blessing as far as I'm concerned.

Also Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I absolutely adore the combat, so all of that "pointless" padding is something that I appreciate. I never wanted that game to end.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Last of us 2, persona 5, and dragon quest xi

They are so good that i know they are long games but they dont feel long because how fun those games are. I indeed feel empty after completing each of them

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If I like a game I want more not less. Even open world games with large checklists. I try not to play those back to back so they don't wear on me but I can't think of a game I really enjoyed that I wish had less content.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
Gimme those 1093201931 checkmarks and 10921039201293 cultists to kill.
Me too. Really enjoyed it despite it probably being full of things I usually find as red flags before purchasing. I am looking forward to playing Valhalla once I finish Yakuza in a couple months lol

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Most of them shrug

I don't consider playing the game "bloat" so most complaints i see here are very silly

I can't understand people who want to buy a game that is notoriously "long" just to rush the main quest and then complain later it had too much stuff

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
Yeah Nioh 1 and 2. They both have the same missions numerous times. Great game but a lot of repetitive filler

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
FF7R.

It's bloated. I know it's bloated. I say it's bloated and has unnecessary padding.

But I love it.

Still cut out that second sewer visit though.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Dragon Age: Origins was a slog if you saved The Deep Roads for last, like I did.

Didn't help that I was running a mod that made every enemy Lieutenant class or higher,; it was a freaking war of attrition.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3-5
Skyward Sword

I still think they could all use some trimming, but I still enjoyed them.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 could've been several hours longer tbh. I would've preferred they included whatever they cut from Abby in California considering how awkward that transition was.

Jul 10, 2018
Quit both Persona 4 and 5 right around the final dungeon, because they were just too long with so much padding and redundancy in the dialogue. I think both games would be way better with 20-30 hours shaved of of them.

Okami is my answer although I think it can also use some fat trimming as well.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is a good recent pick for me. The obvious detour in Act 4 does genuinely suck, but i thought the epic length of the game + the epilogues were needed to tell the breadth of that story, not just for Arthur's character arc, but the various evolving side stories and world events around you, and to strengthen RDR1.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TW3's length never bothered me. Hell, I completed the main quest and DLC three times over. I'd love to do a fourth playthrough but I just don't know how I'd differentiate from my previous ones.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Bethesda's Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I agree that they're bloated, but I still manage to get 100+ hours of enjoyment from them. In Skyrim's case it's 500+ hours.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's really wild seeing people describe RE4 as "bloated" when the game's all of like 7-8 hours on a replay. Maybe 12 on a first play? It isn't a particularly big game.

FF7R, the Personas, the Trails games, the Dragon Quests, I guess people have called all of those bloated and I just wouldn't. Okami same thing. I'm ready when the game's ready.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
DQXI would have been much better around 60-80 hours, instead of 100-120 hours.

Oct 27, 2017
People say Persona 5 is too long, but Royal proved to me that it wasn't long enough haha. Worth every second. I also didn't feel like Ghost of Tsushima was too long either.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017

This.

I understand why people bitch in the sense that its initially confusing as to what are actual side quests versus the grind bullshit quests in the game. I think that distinction should be even more clear.

But the real side quests and the main quests in that game are really good and in general I loved how much content that game had.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
AC Odyssey for me. I treat conquering areas like little puzzles, trying to figure out the most efficient ways to weaken them. Took me nearly 150 hours to finish a game which, in reality, has very little main story lol

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is considered the go-to example for "bloat" and, honestly, it has been an absolute joy.

I LOVE the size of the world, the traversal speed makes up for it. It might be one of my favourite open worlds I've explored.
I like the amount of shit to do. Hunting legendary creatures, discovering and taking out outposts/cultists, diving for sunken ships or taking out elite pirate ships, etc.
The whole level up debacle is massively overblown, I'm constantly over leveled because of the amount of unique sidequests to do (though it scales up, so all enemies are at least 2 levels below you). When I finished the main story (or one of them) there were still small islands I had never set foot on, and promptly did so shortly after.

I'm at 110 hours and still playing, up to the DLC stuff now.
It might be a top 10 game of the gen for me.

edit: oh yeah, and Persona 5. I didn't want that game to end. I have yet to try Royal, but it sounds like it was made for me.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I think some of these games get kind of attacked because some of them purposely try to blur the line and hide the distinction between content. So you can get stuck doing stuff that you think is "important" but its really just meant to be side content. That's a pet peeve of mine.

I adore skyrim. Probably my favorite game of all time but the mod that labels radiant quests is kind of a must have for example. It's just shady to not let the user understand the distinction and alot of games kind of fall in into this territory just to try to pad out the game and advertise X amount of hours of content.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
FFVIIR. Narratively, I don't think the game is padded at all, but a handful of dungeons are conspicuously long... Combat's dope tho, so I don't care.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Persona 5 took me 100 hours to complete and I wanted more.

...we'll see how Royal goes.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Objectively, I think every Dark Souls game is bloated. They all miss their peaks both in terms of drama, mystery, and difficulty and sort of meander around crashing into things like a murderer stubbing his toe in the dark trying to sneak up on a victim before coming to usually borderline wet-fart conclusions.

That said, subjectively, I've NG+'d all of them at least three times and some seven or more, so obviously I just want more Dark Souls, even if it's clumsy and bloated.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
People say Okami is too long but I say not long enough.

No but actually like yes it has a few lull times and a repeat boss it's still coming up with unique ideas right to the end.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Assassin's Creed titles. Let me at them. I will find that last hidden evil person and kill them. And getting 100% all discovered areas - that is something I aim for with the AC titles (not as easy as it sounds).

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Gimme those 1093201931 checkmarks and 10921039201293 cultists to kill.
Teleporting stabbing brofist

This is my choice, put 200+ hours into that game, could do it again.

edit: also shout out to TLOU2 I played through the game twice back to back and never tired of it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Zeldas that came out on the Wii (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword). Both of those games have a lot of filler and in Skyward Sword's case I think some of it could have been cut, but I do think those games being long compared to the three previous 3D Zeldas that came before them helped them feel like big epic quests.

I think Persona 5 is too long, but Persona 4 felt just right and that game is still pretty long compared to most JRPGs (especially back on the PS2). I normally wouldn't want JRPGs to be that long but Persona 4's story is paced really well and feels like it justifies the length.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i thought persona 5 was too long

but i've beaten ng+

so i must have loved it anyway

it felt too long the second time, though, so idk

i've heard that GoT suffers from open-world bloat--and i get it--but i got the plat and enjoyed every minute

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne's chalice dungeons. There is as much unique content in them as the rest of the game. If you haven't beaten the pthumerian queen you haven't actually beaten bloodborne.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Dq11 people say has bloat but all of it is enjoyable.
Ff7remake however is bloated and to long

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's already been said many times, but definitely Okmami.

It could have kept going as far as I'm concerned.