• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there are some games out there that are jampacked with content yet people just burn themselves out on it and criticize the length when in fact the game is well made.

Mine is probably ESO. You just play ESO and take it slow. Worth every penny despite the terrible combat.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us 2 is an obvious recent one that I thought was amazing all the way through. Admittedly you can have too much of a great thing.

Hollow Knight is a 10/10 but some people thought it was too long as well

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Witcher 3. Everything was good and interesting so I don't understand why some ppl had a issue with there being so much of it. A huge amount of quality content is a great thing to me

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Don't care what others say about the game, I couldn't stop playing Persona 5 Royal. I almost naturally platinumed the game as well, but I just never bothered to buy a lottery ticket.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hmm, I can't think of any game where I felt the complaint of being "longer" was fine.
Even though I like the games currently being listed, I wouldn't mind if any of them were a bit shorter lol.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2. I enjoyed the story and world enough that the length didn't bother me at all.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Assassin's Creed games.

They're definitely long in the tooth but damn do I get sucked into the loop of doing main missions, side missions, anomalies, treasure hunting, taking out camps, etc.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I guess Red Dead 2
I agree that it was too long, but having an extremely slow build really served the story (other than the epilogue, that was completely unnecessary)

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Persona series starting with 3. Fortunately the story keeps me engaged enough to put up with how drawn out it is due to the structure.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5. I loved the length personally and thought it worked brilliantly due to the nature of the game. Probably could've played for 200 hours and not gotten bored.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I thought The Last of Us Part 2 was paced incredibly well from a gameplay perspective. Even being a 30 hour game (which I thought would be half the length when I was playing it), I still wanted more after I had finished it. Even though I think the story would have benefited from being shorter.

Also P3 and P4 but not P5. The plot in the first two demand a long length to get the player used to living in its world and make their stories work. Persona 5 doesn't have good enough writing and doesn't do anything with the player's immersion to justify its length.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed Okami and the complaints people had about feeling like the game should've ended in the middle, I just didn't have at all.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Everytime a new dlc drops for Nioh I am giddy to replay all the missions on the new difficulty but I could see some people groaning that to get the most out of it they have to go through the campaign again for the umpteenth time. I can't get enough of it though.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Mostly JRPGs. They're not bloated, they just have a very long story.

Bloated is doing the same thing dozens of hours later as you did within the first few hours, like Assassin's Creed or Ubisoft games in general.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is easily one of the worst offenders but I'm going to say persona 4 with its bloated, long winded, and boring 4/5 hour handholding tutorial.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed Origins / Odyssey / Valhalla (probably, jumping in when I finish Watch Dogs Legion.

And Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
The Last of Us 2 is an obvious recent one that I thought was amazing all the way through. Admittedly you can have too much of a great thing.

Hollow knight is in a weird spot where it's not that long if you know what you're doing, but you generally don't know what you're doing... and the game just keeps on giving you more until you just decide you've done enough.

Reel Big Fish

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2020
I would say Skyrim and The Witcher 3. Probably my two favorite games. I love those settings more than any other I can think of and could play those games over and over again.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Give me 50 hours more.

It has one of the most rewarding gameplay loops I've ever seen. You're always making some kind of progress, even if it's just another outpost cleared, and the combat feels great and the environments are gorgeous.

Sure, it's junk food compared to The Witcher's 3 steak dinner, but there are days you really want junk food. It's the closest a third person action game ever got to that just one more turn feeling of Civilization.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember complaints about the length of Alien Isolation but personally that is one of my favorite games last generation and never found it very boring.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
The first one that comes to mind is Alien: Isolation. Personally I wish it was 10,000 hours long (assuming they kept introducing new areas for me to explore). Honestly the same can be said for most of the games people think are too long. Hollow Knight, Persona 5, etc. If I'm enjoying it why would I want it to end?

It's only when a game is mediocre/bad where length becomes an issue.

Last edited:

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5, but, huge but, this is the nature of Persona games in general.

FF7 Remake was a particularly bad offender here. There's three chapters of fetch quest garbage that unnecessarily bloat an otherwise fabulous experience.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hmm most games I play that are too long are worse for it, and I almost never think it's acceptable. Played about 6 JRPGs this year and every single one could benefit greatly from being 1/2-2/3 as long as they were and tightening up the writing. Poor pacing galore in that genre. Don't think content for content sake is ever worth it.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
7 Remake
The length never bothered me personally. Honestly I didn't want it to end. One of the only games I've immediately replayed.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Most Assassin's Creed games, to be honest. Give me all that sweet optional content. It may take me months, but I'll explore every inch of that map.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Is Xenoblade 1 considered bloated? It's super long but every time I've played it those ~70 hours flew by

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Part II
Red Dead Redeption II

I love those games, and didn't wanted them to end.

Oct 25, 2017

I think Hollow Knight is my answer as well. Especially because I'm one of the people who think it's too long, gave up before doing all of the content, but I still think it's a masterpiece and one of the best games of the generation.

It's weird that pacing is usually a major deal to me, and every other game mentioned in this thread that I played I kind of hate, but I think I'm more forgiving of Hollow Knight because by the time I felt like I was done with it, I only had DLC stuff to go (and even did some of it), so it kind of feels unfair to dock points from the game for having too much content when the actual main game doesn't have that, I just hopped in too late.

Will definitely play Silksong day one so I can follow the DLC releases with more time between them to not get burned out.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Batman: Arkham City
Batman: Arkham Origins
Batman: Arkham Knight

All were relatively packed full of stuff to do, yet all of that was well implemented and organised (to varying degrees, but all those degrees were greater than in Arkham Asylum). The side content is almost entirely optional across those games, all of it is at least decent, and it all caters to some facet of the Batman power fantasy

The spatial puzzles and death trap hostage rooms for Riddler's side quest in Arkham City was brilliant too to bottom.

Oct 27, 2017
The Persona games and most other JRPGs or RPGs that I find myself really enjoying.

I'd also say TLoU2, but I'd argue some of the perceived bloat is just people playing really slow. I finished the game in a hair over 20 hours yet I regularly see people talk like it's a 30+ hour game, so of course it's going to feel bloated if you stretch it for another dozen hours.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Is Xenoblade 1 considered bloated? It's super long but every time I've played it those ~70 hours flew by
from a side content perspective all three xenoblades can be considered bloated, but xenoblade 1 one suffers from the " huge maps, but very empty" issue which can actually in my opinion be considered bloat simply from an exploration point of view

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2 and RE4 are both very long games and I've seen frequent complaints about bloat in both, but I think they're expertly paced and brilliant all the way through