• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2D Puzzles/ mini games that don't use core gameplay mechanics. Thinking about the pipe rotation hacking in Bioshock and Spider-Man as examples.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Splinter Cell Blacklist has a first person mission with the sidekick. It's not terrible but was a bit what the hell. Same with Sam having a flashback to Iraq or somewhere and going all 3rd person action shooter but there was lots of barrels to blow up.

Doesn't ruin an otherwise really good game.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with the modern parts of Assassin's Creed series. I just could care less about these parts and blitz through them.

I know I'm not alone in saying I love the modern parts and they help tie together/provide different perspective to the events in the past.

So I asked for this.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think the modern element could have been used well; I seem to recall the 'initial' expectation (i.e. discussions online) surrounding how the series would be structured would be that the third game would fully delve into the modern/sci-fi element with Desmond (?) as the sole main character, both to introduce a very different type of environment and new dynamics.

Obviously that didn't happen in the end, but I think the modern elements in the first game, if built on properly, could have added to the series, but as it played out they're an annoying addition which subtract from the experience for me.
Yeah. I feel like they took half of what they wanted with a modern game and wanted to make a new IP, thus Watch Dogs. It would have been cool if it turned into another take on Hitman but with a different size /scope.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm gonna have to go with the modern parts of Assassin's Creed series. I just could care less about these parts and blitz through them.

maxresdefault.jpg
No lies detected. Didn't play a lot of AC games, but man, I still don't know why they thought it was a good idea. Boring shit. AC works better as a vague "assassins were always here for some reason!" kind of deal. I never asked for Dan Brown-esque shlock.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Ugh stealth with one catch restart. Plenty of victims here. Played dragon quest heroes 2 not too long ago and one area with some robots I had to look up to do.

It wasn't hard but days gone also has this where you get caught you start over. They were short but lame. Slow walking sections as well. Tremendous game but no one needs that.

excessive backtracking sucks as well.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
The crossbow target side quest in Dragon Quest XI. For those who don't know, somewhere around ten hours into the game, you get a crossbow that you can use to draw enemies to you (which in and of itself is pretty much a useless function, at least for me). There are also several hidden crossbow targets in every overworld region, and if you find and shoot them all, you get a prize. I had no desire to go hunting for tiny objects all over the world for a small reward, and since I beat the game with everyone's best equipment, it was clear that none of the rewards were necessary for anything in the long run.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who didn't like this, because the hidden targets were completely removed in the Definitive Edition of the game. Although I have to admit that doing that is a little strange - since they're so easily skippable, why go through the trouble of removing them entirely? You still get the crossbow for drawing enemies' attention, but that's all it's used for.

Nov 5, 2017
Splinter Cell Blacklist has a first person mission with the sidekick. It's not terrible but was a bit what the hell. Same with Sam having a flashback to Iraq or somewhere and going all 3rd person action shooter but there was lots of barrels to blow up.

Doesn't ruin an otherwise really good game.

Yeah this, I never understood why they put this in. 99% of the game is a third person stealth game and suddenly they switch you into a first person shooter for some reason.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh yea. I stopped paying attention to them a long time ago. If they were even in Black Flag that would have been when - because that was the only one I hundred platinumed and I can't even remember.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Little Mermaid singalong in KH2. It's the auditory and gaming equivalent of being beaten senseless with a studded dildo.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the Assassin's Creed thing only because they could be good but they're just not. I'm still asking for a good modern-day section.

I'll say Sheila in Spyro 3 that I'm playing for the first time now. She has super slow horizontal movement, some levels take advantage of her vertical movement but most do not, and all the hidden areas in her levels are basically the same, consisting of several ledges covered by rock walls you have to jump up to and kick. Even if they made improvements, I'd still rather play as Spyro.

This goes for a lot of these cartoony 3D platformers that sacrifice their core gameplay for "variety." Great, variety to have a shittier time.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Any Clank levels in any Ratchet and Clank game.

I know he's in the title. I couldn't give a shit.

Goosenman

Nov 6, 2017
The hub sections in the Wolfenstein games. Let's break up the action by having you wander around looking for a book or a welder.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
"platforming" in games that aren't platformers

single player FPSs seem to do this a lot and it really pissed me off, if i wanted to play mario or tomb raider i would not be playing your shooty bang game

came damn close to quitting Doom Eternal but i came around on it since the game is essentially a series of killboxes and it did break the monotony a bit

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword tadtones.

In addition to that - remember that crappy, pace breaking Tears of Light parts in Twilight Princess?

We brought it back for Skyward Sword!!! Yay...
God I hate Skyward Sword... It's some miracle that BOTW exists in the form that it does.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Any content in the Mario Party series that isn't the core board game or mini-games that happen on those boards. I don't know anyone who wouldn't rather have more boards and mini games instead.

Also, take a shot every time a gamer says "forced."

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
MGS4 chapter 3 (and 4 and 5 too, but people overlook how awful chapter 4 is because of where it takes place and how cool the end boss of the chapter is).

It just completely changes how the game plays for the rest of the runtime and it's for the worse.
I asked for this. Chapter 3 is the only part of the game I enjoyed. lol

You know what players love? Sewer levels! Let's have more of that.
I can pretty safely say no gamer has ever asked for more sewer levels. Especially not revisits of old sewer levels.
In JRPGs, maybe not.

But in horror games like Resident Evil? Of course we want more of that. Sewers are rife with gross and icky things that lend themselves really well to a horror setting.

Ugh stealth with one catch restart. Plenty of victims here. Played dragon quest heroes 2 not too long ago and one area with some robots I had to look up to do.
LOL what? Dragon Quest Heroes 2, a musou game, has forced stealth? OK, this is a new low haha

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
In JRPGs, maybe not.

But in horror games like Resident Evil? Of course we want more of that. Sewers are rife with gross and icky things that lend themselves really well to a horror setting.

Nah fam. I'd rather have spooky clock towers over drab samey mazes.

LordZap

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone flashback scenes. 5 minutes of the characters walking at the slowest speed possible, or a bike ride that you don't control yourself..

Flashbacks can work well (tlou2 museum), but in days gone they're all awful.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to that - remember that crappy, pace breaking Tears of Light parts in Twilight Princess?

We brought it back for Skyward Sword!!! Yay...
God I hate Skyward Sword... It's some miracle that BOTW exists in the form that it does.

I liked the silent realm stuff but boy was Skyward Sword packed with tedium. Bokoblin Base is another set piece that no one really wanted.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg
For me the modern story is what instantly sold me on the first game and it had my interest until
Desmond died
After that the only game I finished was Black Flag.
Chapter 13 in Final Fantasy XV.
This was the on I was gonna post .

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
The Drug Nightmare flashbacks in Max Payne are perfectly fine, creepy and atmospheric.

Until you get to the fucking jumping puzzles in a game not built for that.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Radiant or "infinite" quests in any Bethesda game. Nobody actually enjoys killing a wolf for someone a million times or defending settlements again and again or finding a generic book in a cave.

I get you want to be able to say your game can be played forever but nobody actually wants that and the very few people who do should not be catered to, or for goodness sake at least let me turn it and any npc dialogue about it off.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Assassin's Creed did not need those modern animus bits. Never understood why they were there. The thing that otherwise ties those games together is quite clearly in the title.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I liked the modern bits in AC up until Black Flag but from there on out I try to minimize them as much as I can. Definitely agree with the stealth bits in Spider-Man.

LDigital

Oct 27, 2020
Gimmick sections in Hideki Kamiya games.

Let me just play the amazing character action game you made aaaaaahh I don't wanna ride a motorcycle or play a slow-ass autoscrolling SHMUP

On the contrary, I love it when platinum does this, it's part of the Platinum magic. I love those genre shifts in bayonetta and nier Automata does it even better. Going from balls to the wall action to shitty forced stealth is a million times worse than action fighting to action bike chase to action shmup and back to the fighting.

Nov 1, 2017
The first-person underwater shooting segments in DMC1
Oh my god, the perfect answer. I can't think of anything more ill suited to DMC gameplay that having to suffer through those underwater sections. Utterly baffling inclusion.

In terms of games no one asked for, i know it's already been mentioned but Metroid Prime Federation Force is forever the answer. So tone deaf even by Nintendo's standards, the epitome of not being able to read the room. I feel bad for anyone who had to work on that.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
On the contrary, I love it when platinum does this, it's part of the Platinum magic. I love those genre shifts in bayonetta and nier Automata does it even better. Going from balls to the wall action to shitty forced stealth is a million times worse than action fighting to action bike chase to action shmup and back to the fighting.

Sometimes, but they often go on for too long and can turn into literal nightmares if you try to get Platinum ranks. The last mission of Wonderful 101 has an utterly baffling gimmick section where you have to control two ships, one for each analog stick, and dodge lasers. Mess up only a couple times, and you get a game over, massively lowering your rank. So if you want a Platinum, you have to replay the entire mission up to that point and try, try again. The genre shifts in Bayonetta aren't as bad, but boy is it frustrating to have to do that Space Harrier bit every time you want to try the Jeanne fight.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I really want to say Sonic Forces, evidenced from how poorly it controlled, how terrible the story was, and how awful the levels were designed.

However, I unfortunately remember various places in social media being hyped as fuck because the game "finally" lets you create your own character.

So I guess, we did ask for it?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
There's a particular chapter in Astral Chain where it's just a collection of horridly boring and frustrating minigames, and I just can't imagine why Platinum looked at the game and though "you know what this creative and fun character action game could use? A minigame chapter"

I really love Astral Chain but there are some parts of it that just...why

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
AC modern day stuff peaked with Brotherhood for me and has been forgettable ever since. Origins it was just meh but Odyssey is where it became actively infuriatingly bad, like just the worst voice acting in the entire series and nothing made sense.

Valhalla actually had me interested genuinely but they... didn't really do much with it? I was expecting to do a lot more in the modern day throughout the game but it's kinda one and done.

Have the main character walk slower than the regular walking pace just to throw exposition at you. Fuck that shit.

On top of that have the NPC you're following walk slower than your slowest possible pace so you have to constantly stop and start.

The robot arm part of FF7R.

The best answer so far for me lol

Last edited: