• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
To echo the sentiments of forced stealth sections. Forced stealth sections because the game arbitrarily decides to rob you of all your abilities and things that made the game fun into this unfun trial you must go through in order to win your right to have fun in the fucking game again. Stealth sections are nothing more than garbage padding in games not designed with fucking stealth mechanics in mind.

Stop it devs.
Get some help.
Oh, now I am remembering Gravity Rush 2 as well. Yep, proper stealth sections require good mechanics and ways to get passed you being noticed. Something that forced sections never have.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Bioshock final boss. To me, the game is a 10/10 outside of that. Of course Levine outright apologized for it, so it's not a huge deal, but still bad.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'm gonna have to go with the modern parts of Assassin's Creed series. I just could care less about these parts and blitz through them.

maxresdefault.jpg
It's hard to remember now because the series has just gone on for so long, but once upon a time the modern day sections actually had a point. Mainly during the first two entries when the series was still under the control of its creator Patrice Désilets. The modern day section was where the actual story was. A conspiracy driven epic about deciphering ancient mysterious to save the world, which was all supposed to culminate in a third and final instalment where Desmond takes centre stage.

Just to be clear, the modern day sections were never good, but they did have a point. They were the core of the games, upon which the historical adventures were grafted around.

But now? The modern day stuff is basically an appendix. Something that used to be very important but the franchise has grown beyond the need for. I genuinely have no clue why it's still included.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Forced stealth on Astral Chain. In a game all about action it throws you into not one but two stealth missions when up to that point it encouraged you to go all out. Probably the only thing preventing me from a second playthrough. I don't remember if I even got all of the cats either.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with the modern parts of Assassin's Creed series. I just could care less about these parts and blitz through them.

maxresdefault.jpg

Weirdly they were the only aspect that made those games intriguing. The storylines taking place in the period timelines were just 😴

Gameplay section wise: The forced baby sitting level
Feature wise: ADS in Halo

Oct 25, 2017
"You know how we designed the whole game around this one core mechanic? What if we removed it for this mission?"
Gravity Rush 2 quest design team, probably.

Not even just specifically forced stealth, "you can only use this one power that is super boring and slow by itself" sections are also way too prevalent.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Open world sections of Gears 5. Why the hell would I want open world sections in a series known for its corridor shooting (which BTW is the best part of Gears 5 and its expansion).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Jesus Christ, Lords of Shadow 2 has forced stealth? After mildly enjoying the first one and never touching the second one for no reason in particular, this is the first time I actually believe the people who say that it's a shit sequel.
LoS2 is an amazing game in many ways on paper, but fails at execution at so many aspects that it's one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. I really wanted to like it, as it improves on LoS1 on a number of things, but goes backwards in so many ways... and yeah the forced stealth sections are mega-annoying.
According to a review I watched eons ago it's something like Dracula transforms into a mouse and you have to scurry around invincible enemies who can one shot you.
More or less. At the start of the game I could kiiinda understand since Dracula just woke up from a long slumber and is weak/doesn't have his full powers yet blah blah... okay, sure. And honestly the rat transformation is not a bad mechanic. There's some decent puzzles/exploration section that involve the rat transformation mechanic, not just stealth sections, and they're not all bad, quite the contrary. I kinda enjoyed them, even.

But there are indeed invincible enemies, big guys in modern hi-tech armour that apparently are invulnerable to all your weapons/abilities including all your late-game powers, and their canons basically OHKO you, so each encounter with them is some sort of stealth puzzle mini-section, and while most are easy enough, some of them are rather annoying and not a single one of those encounters is remotely fun at all. It's pretty bullshit too especially since they remain invincible even after you regain all your powers. It'd have been at least satisfying to slaughter them a bit later on, but for some reason that never actually happens. It's just a big fat "why? who thought this was a good idea??".

The worst part is that this isn't even the most annoying aspect of that game. I could forgive this poor design choice if everything else was on point. But there's just so many little things about this game that are just this particular level of annoying, as if the game really didn't want you to enjoy yourself. Like how there's a rather big Metroidvania-style gated world with power-ups scattered all around and you can come back later when you get the traversal abilities to reach them, but... there's very little in terms of map to orient yourself, or shortcuts to unlock, or fast travel, meaning it's an outright chore to get back to wherever. Or how there's a room with various combat challenges, but you have to deal with an incessantly shrill voice talking to you constantly as you do it, because reasons. Or how that character with the annoying voice (the "Chupacabra") is a fairly useful vendor but really inconveniently placed, making visits to him excessively tedious. Or enemies respawn constantly and harass you as you try to get from point A to point B (like, for instance, going back to collect some power-ups...) and throw unavoidable projectiles at you as you try to climb away, knocking you down and interrupting you, forcing you into yet more repetitive combat encounters before pressing on. I just found myself constantly swearing at the game and it wasn't because it was too hard or anything.

It's so, so grating. The combat is decent, the old castle looks stunning as always, the vampiric powers are neat and clever and remind me of Legacy of Kain which I adore, there's a decent atmosphere going on. But the execution is overall a shoddy mess, resulting in a frustrating game that falls very short of its potential. Oh and the final boss is super lame, too. It's a bummer, really.

That said, forced stealth is even more annoying in Gravity Rush 2 than in LoS2. The game is overall a better game, but holy fuck did those sections suuuuuuuck in GR2.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
honestly didn't mind the stealth parts in spider-man like at all

they were super duper easy and fast, never understood the complaints

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shitty mini games and vehicle sections in Kamiya/PG games.

They have no place in a character action game, zero.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The entire last 1/4th of Resident Evil 7. You go from playing a pretty great horror game where you have to conserve ammo, solve puzzles and cool encounters then the game turns into a shitty shooter

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Racing games with some faceless voice talking all the fucking time, Forza 4 did it and now Dirt 5 does it, why?
I hate that shit

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Spider-Man stealth as MJ/Miles.
That's exactly where my mind meant as well.

Also, the Clank puzzle segments in the last Ratchet and Clank 2016 game.

Insomniac needs to just be confident in the ability to completely engage players for the entire duration of the game without "slowing things down".

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm playing through Doom Eternal right now and I find myself saying this a lot. Don't remember the first game having so many convoluted additions...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The modern day stuff in AC wouldn't be half as bad if they'd give you more agency in the how and when.

In Valhalla it happens the first time when your clan leaves for England. The sequence leading up to the departure is pretty hype because you know what's gonna come and that you will finally start the game proper. You depart with your ship, the camera shifts towards the setting sun, the music swells to a crescendo, the AC logo appears, you can almost taste the sweet, green grass of England...

...and then the Animus animation appears. Because this is obviously the best time for stilted conversations with people in akward, modern clothes and to read a few e-mails.

Personally I would ditch the interactive part of the modern day stuff entirely and tell that part of the story through high quality, well-directed cutscenes.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I'm the weirdo who likes all the off-model bits: Xen (H-L), the Fade, Max Payne's Platforming Blood Nightmares, MGS2 underwater.

But I'd say the motion controls for Super Mario Odyssey. It's kind of bizarre, really, it should be a "force them or don't" situation. You don't need them, but they make you better. I don't find shaking joycons to climb a ladder terribly inspired.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i will echo the sentiments about the modern day stuff in AC. It adds so little to each game. Even though they've pared it back to almost nothing, that's still too much.

Super Mario Batmobile is the main reason I have yet to replay Arkham Knight.

I'm not a racing fan, so any game where racing a vehicle is mandatory for progressing the story usually gets a negative response from me.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
What I came to post. Though I hear that they patched it in later versions to be less terrible?

I don't know I played the original version 😂

Tbh I don't have the problem with the actual dungeon (I actually like the atmosphere).

But between : the forced stealth, the game taking away all your stuff/abilities, and the jumpscare, FFXV chapter 13 can go eat shit.

Nov 1, 2017
Racing games with some faceless voice talking all the fucking time, Forza 4 did it and now Dirt 5 does it, why?
I hate that shit
Golly, you hit the nail on the head. I cannot stand the "peppiness" of the presenters in the Forza Horizon games. The consistent showering of praise, "you can do no wrong", just rings hollow and inauthentic. I just want them to shut up the entire time.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Forced stealth in games not designed for stealth mechanics.

Slow walk sections where none of the characters keep pace with each other, thus resulting in annoying ass audio delays because characters move too far away and stop all action.

maxresdefault.jpg
The modern day part is literally the reason why I got into the franchise. I was going to write it off otherwise before Kristen Bell fucked up and said a little too much about the story.

the part in Deux Ex: Human Revolution where adam jensen gets his augments put in
Came to this thread for this.