• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAdmiester

Mar 1, 2018
I don't have examples handy, but the STALKER games are the epitome of this. Their models and materials look so outdated by now but the game still manage to look good because the lighting is fully dynamic.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2 is volumetric lightning the videogame

J8F9198.png

l0qzBgh.png

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
When I think volumetric effects, I immediately think all the way back to this level in Rogue Leader on the GameCube:

This was all the way back in 2001, and it's still a pretty cool looking effect to me!

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
Assassin's Creed Black Flag on PC had volumetric smoke from gunfire and cannons. It was fun firing a shot and running through the smoke

astro

Oct 25, 2017
F.E.A.R. had some great lighting effects at the time. The game still looks great because of them.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember Alan wake using volumetric lighting was big thing back then.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Ace Combat 7 is packed with volumetric clouds, which actually do a lot to give the maps (which would normally been pretty blank, because planes) a sense of meaningful geography.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
F.E.A.R. had some great lighting effects at the time. The game still looks great because of them.

FEAR was way ahead of its time.
fear_volumetric.jpg

Control makes extensive use of Volumetric effects.
And with the full RTX feature set on.
Is arguably the best looking game out right now...yeah the character models arent AAA but just walking through environment and it legit feels like a Nextgen experience.

control-volumetric-lighting-004-high.jpg

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
I was always impressed by the volumetric fog in Silent Hill 2. Sometimes I would just stand there and just be mesmerized by fog.
giphy.gif

tumblr_oy8dl7OSmT1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Control again because more people need to know about this game.Ripping the stage apart and seeing all the Volumetrics going off is what doesnt suprise me that it brings base systems to their knees.

control-ray-traced-debris-001-on-all-rt-on.jpg

control-ray-traced-debris-002-on-all-rt-on.jpg

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead 2 is volumetric lightning the videogame

J8F9198.png

This shot is super impressive.
Once the PC version is out the screenshot thread is gonna be filled with this game.
Its already a powerhouse title on consoles.....the PC version should take things to the next level.....assuming its reasonably optimized.
And if it uses RTX....it just might take the crown from Control for tech triumph of the generation.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

Yep, sony first party has used this effect to excellent use this gen. Not only gow, but spidey, uc4, grand turismo sport, and horizon all are outstanding with volumetric effects. Days gone is phenomena however, was impressed with how incredible the fog and early morning lighting looked in the game.