• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone for sure. The lore is way more interesting than the stories told in any of the games.
Absolutely. Such a missed opportunity. One of the best examples of a game ignoring its backstory.

killzone.fandom.com

Timeline

The following is a timeline of the Killzone (series). This time marks the last days of the Earth as humanity's sole home. A shortage of oil triggers a global meltdown as nations fight for control of scarce resources. Tensions run high as what starts as a limited strategic release of nuclear...

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that lots of people are giving examples in a negative light, I don't really view this as a bad thing....

Termina from MM for example. I don't think it needed anymore lore. Was extremely effective without even knowing what the fuck termina was.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Souls titles. The top lore question I have?

Who puts all these Post-It notes on all these items so that we get random nuggets of info when we stumble upon them? The true unsung hero in the Souls universe, the Post-It Messenger.

Agent86

Sep 22, 2020
What immediately comes to mind are Ico / SotC / The Last Guardian, but what other games or series do this well?

I think the Crackdown series is both interesting and relatively unexplored. Especially when you consider some of the main narratives are essentially directly countered by audio collectibles or post-game scenes. What actually IS going on with the Agency?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
end of thread.
Fumito Ueda's games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Last Guardian don't explain their interesting lore on purpose - it's tactful.. FF XV is just too incompetent to tell its own story but when you see glimpses of it, you can tell they had something good on their hands, and they blew it.

Sponsored by Cup Noodles

I think the Crackdown series is both interesting and relatively unexplored. Especially when you consider some of the main narratives are essentially directly countered by audio collectibles or post-game scenes. What actually IS going on with the Agency?
I always got the sense the writers didn't neither know nor care. Rather than being elusive on purpose lol

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Having just finished Coffee Talk, it does some great world-building and lore development in a short period of time. To me, the fact they set in a specific time period-2020-instead of trying to make it some evergreen vague point in history, enriches the game by fastening every character's history to specific eras. Alt-History Science Fiction/Fantasy is a mouthful (similar to Fantasy-Westerns, in that they're hard to even find in the first place), but really intriguing when pulled off.
I've had my eye on this for awhile, it's always intrigued me. This post just convinced me to get it, thanks.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
DMC lore, we still don't know much about Sparda, the people he knew, his life in hell, and his life on Earth. We really need that Sparda game.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Dead by Daylight at the moment for me . You dont get much exposition on Entity . You just know it arrived on earth and pulls beings from different universes/realities and has them torture these survivors and that's about it .

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If you read the in game books and the imperial archives online. You'd find that the Elder Scrolls series is a world that is built on cocaine fueled high fantasy. Like the way to become a god in universe is to realize you are in a video game and have enough strength of will to not immediately be wiped from existence by the laws of the in game universe forbidding its inhabitants from realizing they are in a video game levels of cocaine (this one actually serves as a cute way to make console commands cannon in game). There is also an overarching plot that is happening in the background that makes it so that the player characters across the series are actually slowly but surely destroying the tethers that keep souls tied to the physical plane in universe.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In isolation: Halo CE.

The reason the PoA arrives at the ring, why they're chased by the Covenant, who the Covenant are, why they're fighting humanity, who the Forerunner are, and I could go on.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Hollow Knight. There's a reason entire YouTube channels exist to explain and dissect its lore.

Wane

Nov 3, 2019
What comes to my mind is Killzone. I'm not very hot on the idea of GG making a proper Killzone 4 - Horizon is probably a better use of time for everyone.
However, I really hope that GG will one day make a game that does the incredible worldbuilding of the Killzone series justice.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For all the games set in Ivalice, and for all the codex entries we got, specially in XII, we know jackshit about its history and how big and ancient the world is. If you read the Espers entries in XII you'll get a lovecraftian tale of horror and a big fight between gods of light and shadow in the inmemorial past plus the Occuria and whatnot. And still all that shit is wrapped in mistery.

Then you have FFT with all the St Ajora business which is great and half explained on purpose.

Matsuno is a genius.

The Zeboim era of Xenogears. For those who've never played the game, it's a time period in the Xenogears universe of the distant past, but the irony is that distant period was reflective of modern 1998.

There are key elements of that era that is explored but that's only because they connect to the party member Emeralda, and the reincarnations of the main characters who lived in that era. Everything else about that era remains a mystery.

Oh yes, pity we couldn't spend more time there. It's similar to Chrono trigger and Zeal in the sense that you had a great modern technological advanced civilization that went to shit and the current world has regressed. I love that shit.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I find a lot of the time that barely explained lore (if executed correctly) is far more interesting than games where it is comprehensively explained.

There are some exceptions of course, and the rich lore and world building of many RPG's is a core part of the appeal. But I find that sometimes the background lore loses much of its appeal when fully explained and detailed.

You can of course go the otherway and be obnoxiously obtuse and vague if your world building to try and capture that mysterious appeal.

INSIDE has already been mentioned and it's certainly be my pick, followed closely by Dishonored. I'd probably throw in Little Nightmares for some it's excellent environmental storytelling.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Monster Hunter.
Any locale with ruined buildings claimed by nature feels like it had some lore significance, but it's never expanded upon as far as I know.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the games set in Ivalice, and for all the codex entries we got, specially in XII, we know jackshit about its history and how big and ancient the world is. If you read the Espers entries in XII you'll get a lovecraftian tale of horror and a big fight between gods of light and shadow in the inmemorial past plus the Occuria and whatnot. And still all that shit is wrapped in mistery.

Then you have FFT with all the St Ajora business which is great and half explained on purpose.

Matsuno is a genius.
Some of it is great. Some of it is frustrating as hell IMO. Like Ajora is sometimes a man, sometimes a woman, and there isn't even an acknowledgment of the discrepancy, let alone an explanation.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Monster Hunter.
Any locale with ruined buildings claimed by nature feels like it had some lore significance, but it's never expanded upon as far as I know.

There actually are a number of different lore books, and even some gear descriptions in-game, that all point to how there was an Ancient Civilization, from some thousands of years before the setting of the game, that indicates that humanity was once a) very technologically advanced and b) was very nearly wiped out because of their own hubris that came from disrespecting the natural order. The very reason weapons like the Gunlance, Switch Axe and Charge Blade exist in the current era of the MH games is because of the modern era of engineers and weapon-smiths being able to reverse-engineer that re-discovered tech so that your Hunter(s) can use them (even if they still don't understand entirely how it all works).

Even beyond that, the series has a number of things that still remain unexplained. Are Hunters, themselves, the descendants of some breed of dragon-hunting super soldiers from said Ancient Civilization? What kind of monstrosity left behind the skeletal rib cage you can see in the Primal Forest (MH4/U, MHG/U)? And how much of the lore, some of it pretty nightmarish, described in some item/weapon/armor descriptions is true? Are there really some brand of assassins out there that will set out to kill Hunters if they are out of line with the Guild's rules? Is some evil voice whispering in your Hunter's ears destined to drive them mad once you don Fatalis Armor?

It's the kind of thing that makes the series' lore pretty interesting to ponder about, even if it's definitely not something that's at the series' forefront, or even something worth Souls-like levels of obsession.