• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I think about this often and there are several games I think of right off the bat.

Fortnite - save the world did catch on but battle royale did! Look at them now

No Man's Sky - was underwhelming and now looked very highly for adding new content

Fallout 76 - was buggy and missing normal quest, not perfect but they added storylines and quite a bit of content since launch

Destiny 2 - was decent at launch but looking now at being free to play and new expansions happening yearly, always new things to do

Final Fantasy 14 - OG final fantasy was trash but realm reborn changed it to be great!

Sea of Theives - Game was barebones but I hear it's gotten much better since!

What about the rest of you? :)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Probably FF14 cause they literally had to rebuild the game to save it.

Like I think that's something people often overlook when they say a game needs a: "A Realm Reborn" style update.

FO76, NMS, Sea of Theives were not fundamentally broken games in the sense that they needed to scrap it all, every one could be fixed by doing patches and adding/changing content.

No, FF14 1.0 was just broken and bad on a fundamental level. Even after the patches to "fix" the game it was never in a good state compared to other games on the market.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's FF14. Nothing comes close in comparison.

They turned the game around so much they are making FF16. That's how much they helped the brand.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Among Us is being nominated for awards in 2020 despite releasing in 2018.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
It will probably always be FFXIV for me. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise, 1.0 was hot garbage in every conceivable way and it deserved to be nuked from orbit just like it did.

The phoenix that rose from its ashes continues to be some of the best MMO gaming you're ever gonna get. And it's always, always always getting better.

May 19, 2020
FFXIV is a once in a lifetime comeback period. No other game on that level of the industry comes close or even within throwing distance.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
Diablo 3, while fun, became one of the best games of all time after multiple changes, and updates...(it originally had no end game...poor loot...gear drops low because of online shop..)

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't what you meant but all I can think right now is "How appropriate. You fight like a cow!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Since a lot of people are saying FF14 already, I'll say Rainbow Six Siege.

The game cameout and was buggy and had a lot of issues. It's now been around for 5 years and is one of the best FPS games ever made.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
On a personal note DayZ. I remember watching streams before I owned a gaming PC and was so intrigued by what it was. The standalone game was often critiqued to no end and because of it's jank I never even bothered and went for H1Z1, Rust and pretty much any other survival game under the sun till I recently tried the Original to find in surprisingly good. Runs well, plays pretty good and has great mod support and community servers made easy by the Steam workshop. Sure there is still some jank there but I am pleasantly surpised by how much fun I'm having in something I actively avoided for years.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Not to take anything away from the insane amount of work the devs put into No Man's Sky, but FFXIV's turnaround was a straight up miracle.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy 14, Fortnite, and No Man's Sky are probably the most obvious examples...

...but Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is also definitely worth mentioning. The boss battles all got fixed!

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryu ga Gotoku (Like A Dragon; Yakuza) series in the West. Went from niche to well known now thanks to the PS4, Sega localization team actually caring, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76 is now quite incredible.

Rainbow Six Siege was always good but now it's easily one of if not the best multiplayer FPSever thanks to steady updates over 5 years

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
Besides the most notable examples such as FF XIV and No Man's Sky, the Ubisoft games in general are pretty good at this, R6 Siege and For Honor come to mind

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Resident Evil 4 -- sort of amazing that the game had so many iterations and still came out as well as it did ..including spawning the DMC franchise

The 3DS

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
FF14 no doubt. Second biggest disaster in SE's history next to spirits within to second biggest MMO of all time (and biggest one atm I think)

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
staunching the bleeding on a mediocre service game doesn't quite touch what no man's sky or FFXIV did. at all.
Disagree. No man's sky's state at release wasn't much different from Fallout 76's: a barbones game missing a lot of content. They both added a ton of content. NMS just had two more years.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if there is some FFXIV 1.0 acolyte that gets furious reading about people insulting what they feel was the superior game.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Final Fantasy 14 being remade into "A Realm Reborn" is just amazing
No Mans Sky went from a game I refunded initially to a game I rebought again and genuinely love playing now.
Battlefield V became amazing after the Pacific patch. Then they shit the bed again with the weapon balance patch.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
FF14 and No Mans Sky are like dream stories of how to turn a game around

both are awe inspiring

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
image.png

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
FFXIV was completely off my radar before 2017 (and has since has probably become my most played game of all time) which is years after A Realm Reborn, but looking back after the fact of what was done from 1.0 to A Realm Reborn, it's hard for me to not consider that as one of the best comeback stories in gaming. And IMO I'd argue they've continued to improve from there, especially with storytelling in expansions.

NoClip released a pretty great docuseries going over how FFXIV improved. Worth a watch for anyone curious.

www.youtube.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV Documentary Part #1 - "One Point O"

In the first video in our three-part series, we tell the story of how the 1.0 version of FINAL FANTASY 14 came to be. How FINAL FANTASY 11 inspired its desig...

C45513

Aug 18, 2019
Definitely FFXIV. NMS in second place. Destiny 2 a bit with Forsaken, then multiple steps backwards since. FO76 is still bad.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
unnamed.png
into
TFH_box_art_vertical.jpg

Doesn't get much better than being DMCA'd into your own I.P. developed in part by the offending product's creator.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Siege. Mostly because it launched very rough, had nobody except a very small player base rooting for it -- now it's one of the biggest FPS titles around.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I tried a ffxiv trial once, it was fun. I don't have an y plan to try it again soon, but it fits the desciption like a glove. I hope they keep updating it and porting it to new systems in the future. When my kids are grown up, maybe I'll try it :)