• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I love bittersweet endings. That feeling of happiness and sadness rushing in all at once is so satisfying.

2 games in particular have done this perfectly (both feature epilogues as well): Uncharted 4 and RDR 2. (Spoilers for both)

- UC4's epilogue started with us playing Crash and getting a glimpse of Nate and Elena's child. That and the wonderful environment gave me such a happy, warm feeling after all the speculation that someone was going to die in UC4 -- it felt amazing that everyone survived.

Then came the sad part; seeing old,gray-haired Elena and Nate entering to confront Cassie made me tear up. There they were -- the heroes of my childhood -- now old. That plus the cleverly done call backs to the Uncharted series with the album was every so bittersweet. I was happy and tearing up. I still think to this day that this is the best ending for a video game franchise ever......... don't do another Uncharted with Nate again, Naughty Dog.

- RDR 2's ending was more on the sad side. After the tragic death of Arthur -- we got a surprisingly long epilogue with Marston. It was such a joy to soak in the story of him and his family trying to be happy (and succeeding for a while). It was also great to rap up the story with the closure of Micah's subplot.

Of course, although the epilogue ended on a light note -- knowing what happens to John eventually -- still left me with that bittersweet feeling.

Would love to know what other examples of stories that end with mixed feelings for the player. Are there examples that nailed this better than these two?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
God of war..

It's a sweet moment reaching the peak and spreading mom's ash but the impending prophecy on the wall hints on the storm that is to come....and things definitely doesn't seems to end well for kratos.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Uncharted 4. Sad to see my favorite characters' story end, but happy I got to experience it.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2.

The piano piece is just so good and it tops everything off perfectly.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Nier Gestalt/Replicant's count as bittersweet? Either the standard ending or the one with a character sacrifice?

How about Prince of Persia 2018's?

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'd say MGS3, but there isn't really any sweetness in this ending... yes, you've done it, you saved the world, everyone applauds you, but my god.. what did you have to do and for what exactly?

The ending is perfect and Starsailor's "Way To Fall" is the perfect song to play while you stare at the screen and think about what you just witnessed.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
A few of the Chrono Trigger endings.
tenor.gif

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Replying "Ocarina of Time" to almost any "best" question feels kinda rote, but it really jumped to mind first. The simplicity of these two kids just quietly looking at each other, meeting for the "first" time even though they'd saved the world together over the course of 10 years. That whole world-shaking, post-apocalyptic, mythical journey just became a thing that only exists in these kids' memories. Cue the bells.

No wonder Link needed to shake that shit off with a little side trip to Termina.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy X - yes, you save the world, but people die and our heroine is lonely.

Then they fucked it up so badly in both the post credits scene and most of all the sequel.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Replying "Ocarina of Time" to almost any "best" question feels kinda rote, but it really jumped to mind first. The simplicity of these two kids just quietly looking at each other, meeting for the "first" time even though they'd saved the world together over the course of 10 years. That whole world-shaking, post-apocalyptic, mythical journey just became a thing that only exists in these kids' memories. Cue the bells.

No wonder Link needed to shake that shit off with a little side trip to Termina.

Zelda doesn't have those memories, though.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
UC4's ending is the happiest ending possible, there's no "bitter" aspect of it. Nathan and Elena both look amazing for their age and are rich enough to afford their own private island.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Xenosaga Episode III is the best example I have. Victory came at the loss of dear loved ones, we feel resolute but also drained and no one is really happy, and the journey is not over by a long shot.

Damn, what a finish.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons.

More leaning towards bitter than sweet.
Was there anything sweet there?
I cried like a baby at the water scene, don't even remember the real ending, probably because I cried again. :'( The devs managed to find all my strings and just janked them like crazy. Most surprisingly emotional playthrough I've ever done.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Life is Strange has a heartrending and bittersweet ending, however you choose to have it end.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Ugh, god damn it.

Knowing that the happy ending you get is just a false memory you created to grant a dying man's wish just fucked me up.

I can't even call it sweet, it's just bitter to me.

i get what you mean,
it was a mix to me, johnny still gets his happy ending, for him, it's good... but what was bitter to me was that River died without managing to make johnny remember anything, (well at least while she was alive). she tried and tried until her last breath only to see no reaction from him, this broke me truly... Johnny at least could die happy...

did you play finding paradise?