• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 16, 2018
For some reason both RE7 and the RE8 demo messed me up bad. Not even the VR. I felt nauseous for a couple hours after playing each for maybe 20 minutes.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half-life 1 and 2. What is it about these games which causes motion sickness in so many of us? I played through both games when they were first released but it was pretty miserable.

Another series of games that intermittently give me issues are the Fallout games, 3 and 4 both.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
I'm sad. I got a PSVR and discovered I get mad motion sick in any game with a lot of movement after like 20 minutes. I like VR, just sad I can't really do it physically.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Can happen with <90 FOV FPS and/or Zero-Gravity FPS games.

Examples: Had this happen with Crysis and Prey.

I'm not very prone to it tho. Only happened a handful of times ever.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boneworks is a big one as due to the physics of the game it just makes me feel like I'm about throw up on the side. There maybe times where it's like this for other VR games but it happens random and not nearly as often as every time I try to play Boneworks.

Any FPS where the maximum FOV is 90 or lower, main recent examples is RE7 and Village demo. RE7 only has a maximum of 90 FOV even on PC and that combine with the slow nature of the game makes me sick everytime I want to play. It's even worst for the Village demo since there's no sliders so it's even lower. I hope the PC release has something higher than 90 this time.

Last edited:

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
Borderlands 2... but that didn't necessarily make me nauseous, I just got insanely strong headaches after playing it for a couple of minutes. Took me a couple of years to finish that game.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried playing Soma and it killed me. Even turning everything off in the settings. Every Valve game except surprisingly Team Fortress 2. FF7 remake most recently.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Borderlands 2... but that didn't necessarily make me nauseous, I just got insanely strong headaches after playing it for a couple of minutes. Took me a couple of years to finish that game.
This one made me feel bad as well, I had just upgraded to a 144hz monitor when I played through it so that probably made it worse.

Theblueshirt

Jan 11, 2018
I understood what motionsickness means when I played Toad Treasure Tracker for the first time. I don't know what it is but it makes me want to vomit. Besides I really like the game and would love to play it. I even started watching a let's Play Toad... eventually with the same effect like playing the game myself.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 1 and especially Bloodborne made me nauseus. I could stomach the first, but I gave up after 30 min of the second.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever got motion sickness from a flatscreen game, I think that came from playing a ton of twitch PC shooters in the 90s and 2000s like Quake II, Doom, and Unreal Tournament. VR has given me plenty but that's moreso the nature of the tech fucking with your inner ear's perception of motion relative to your body's position. Some say its a misnomer that one gets their "VR legs" but well over time I stopped getting motion sickness with pretty much every VR experience, including something super fast like Brutal Doom VR.

Boneworks however is the one candidate I can safely say gave me motion sickness somewhat consistently over the course of my playtime, the devs didn't do enough comfort testing and coupled your view to a fully IK body that flopped around like a ragdoll whenever you climbed anything (note: there's a ton of climbing in Boneworks). They've adjusted it somewhat since launch but the initial implementation just flew in the face of years of best practices re: mitigating motion sickness in VR. That said it still might be my favorite VR game, the level of experimentation and freedom as for object interaction, physics, and environmental traversal is second to none. Its janky for sure but still an incredibly exciting next step in experimenting with the layers of interaction in VR using tracked controllers and room scale.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much any first person game...2006 Prey in particular was bad for me. The Gravity Rush games, Final Fantasy Type 0, so any third person game with bad camera controls.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly enough, Last of Us 2. I got to the second day in the first area you get to before I realized the reason I was feeling like shit 10 minutes into playing was the game. I have no idea why - 3rd person games have never done this to me before. I turned off the motion blur, turned on the reticle... still feel sick 10 minutes into a play session. The FoV settings aren't helpful (what FoV is 2 units above default?! Just give me the actual value please). It sucks because I'd really like to play through the game.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
None, not even VR.

I did feel a bit of the oooh, butterflies in my tummy, aka driving over a bump in the road as a kid in the backseat.. and only when like jumping down from a high place in VR, I think it was somewhere in Superhot..

But other than that, never. I'm lucky! I wonder what it is in the brain or balance system(?) that causes motion sickness.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
i get it sometimes and i don't know why, because other times i'm fine, with the very same games

i think it's most common with early-3D shooters (duke nukem 3D) or while watching other people play things

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD gave me serious headaches and nausea the first several times I played it, but eventually I guess my body just got used to it. Good thing, too, since I really liked the game. Viva Pinata also made me sick to play for longer than an hour or so at a time. I think it was the bright colors combined with turning the camera frequently. I play a lot of games in different genres, but those are the only two that actually made me feel almost physically sick at points.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Most first person games have a high chance of wrecking me within half the hour. Valve ones have been mentioned in the thread many times, but with good reason. There's been a few third person ones that got me as well. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, the three Fumito Ueda games, and The Ghostbusters game on PS3 had me throwing up. My few attempts at VR did not go well either, as I had feared.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
The first time I took on the fanboat in Half-Life2, I had to walk away after 15 minutes and come back to it. Not as big a problem now, but at the time, yeah nausea for sure.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
The only game to manage to do this for me is Minecraft in VR. I feel like it has to do with the motion not having acceleration. You either suddenly move or suddenly stop. After so many minutes of playing, it makes me nauseous.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I used to have a big issue with motion sickness with N64 era 3d games. I think it was a mix of low framerates, low rendering distance, and repetitive visuals that caused problems for me.

I also have had problems with first person shooters in the past as well, but now a days I generally avoid them because I don't really enjoy them anyways.

woxxi

Oct 27, 2017
Tearaway Unfolded on PS4 this is the only game I had to stop completely because I was so sick ! I still had nausea almost 1 hour after playing it ....

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Wow, I'm really happy to see how many people struggle with Valve games; I thought I was in some superminority here. Shockingly I'm fine with Portal, but I can't play any of the Half-Lives for more than a couple minutes.

Oct 29, 2017
Without fail, Dying Light gives me bad motion sickness. To a lesser extent, The Divison 2 did as well but that one eventually went away.

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 did and also gave me a headache first time playing it Christmas morning,
Never had an issue with it motion sickness again afterwards.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Recently it was Supraland. Good lord I tried to fight through it but something about it I instantly knew this was going to make me sick. Kept returning and adjusting options but nothing helped.
The two games I felt physically ill before giving up on them were The Talos Principle and The Witness

These 3 have been the worst offenders. Pretty sure Talos Principle was what set off my getting motion sickness in all first person games. Before it I never suffered from it. I couldn't understand why I felt so uncomfortable playing Talos Principle until I changed to third person view and suddenly there were less headaches.

Supraland was literally only 15 minutes of play before I stopped and refunded. Possibly the fastest a game has ever made me sick.

Witness was on console, which normally helps, but I could still feel headaches playing it.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
For some reason Eastshade made me so sick I had to go and lie down for a couple of hours bathed in sweat. There's no centre dot which I think is usually considered a good idea for first person games but my eyesight is frankly not usually good enough to see one anyway so not sure why this one pushed a button for me.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This has never happened in 33 years of playing games.

I've played all sorts of games.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
FPS's used to make me sick (OG Doom and Half-life 2 come to mind) but eventually I got used to them.

Playing a 30 FPS game after a very smooth 60 FPS game makes me feel nauseous for a bit ( I adjust eventually).

VR games can also make me feel nauseous but again if I keep at it in short bits I get used to them and the nausea leaves.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I've gotten it from various VR games, enough times to just kinda make me set aside the headset for a long time.

Outside of VR stuff, I think the only time I can remember was Morrowind on the first Xbox. Ended up returning the game thankfully.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
i've played a lot of fps games over the years and most of them have been pleasant experiences except singularity, outer wilds and battlefield: bad company that absolutely destroyed me.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Pretty much anything vr and sea of thieves, thankfully i'm not a fan of that game. I have no problems playing 1st person shooters though.

ichigoww

Apr 22, 2018
Older first person games, things like half life or king's field.
Flying sims, whenever you have to do a barrel roll or any of those maneuvers I don't know by name.
Also, not really related but I think Freedom Unite on the PSP used to give me migraines, not 100% sure though