• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's not like the shrines are literally the same. Aside from the ones that are just fights, they all have unique puzzles despite having the same visual aesthetic. They're rewards, even if you didn't think they were compelling enough. And this is coming from someone who never finished all the shrines or not nearly all the Korok Seeds.

Them visually all looking the same is what makes them so bland for me. They reuse enemies and mini-bosses too.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically every Ubi tower game (Assassins Creed / Farcry 3 & 4)

and their shitty derivatives (Horizon Zero Dawn)

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
A lot of the first wave of open world games that came after GTA III suffered from this problem. Off the top of my head:

Driv3r
True Crime: Streets of LA
Jak 2
Jak 3 (to a lesser extent)
Scarface

These games didn't actually need to be sandboxes. They all could have been fun mission-based (or level-based on Jak's case) games instead of being open world.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4. There's nothing in those open areas except for pointless collectibles.

Uncharted 4 is very rewarding for a linear game. There are good optional conversations and interactions with companions. There are journal entries and notes to find and read that give a backstory to the place or treasure which can also trigger some dialog.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Any game that makes the reward for exploration shitty trinkets just randomly lying around that don't even have unique gameplay to get to them (which can be a saving grace of this if the extra challenges themselves are meaningful).

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Since all of the items were available in the shop, there was nothing interesting to find in the overworld. Your reward for exploring was either a rupee or one of those octopus things. Exploring the world in ALTTP was so much more rewarding because you'd find interesting items hidden throughout.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
AC Odyssey. The world is huge but is filled with the same things everywhere you go. The only thing pushing me forward was the loot and that just wasn't enough. I wasn't exploring the world to find cool things, I was completing check lists to get better loot.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I recently played Nier: Automata and every time I decided to explore areas not directly on my way to another fetch quest, I was met with either an invisible wall, a sand storm, the millionth low-level upgrade material you don't need or usually just nothing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
images

This game was based on Los Angles in 1947 and hearing that alone would be fantastic for a open world game. We never got that and it's such a waste/missed opportunity. Very small amount of collectables but also an empty world to drive around in made it worse.
If you think L.A. Noire was bad...

The original Mafia had a meticulously designed open city, populated by cars and pedestrians, and all you did was complete a set of linear missions.

The open world was a huge achievement for its time, but there was absolutely nothing to do in it

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Every game not called The Elder Scrolls, GTA, AC Origins and RDR.

Gothic games have some of the most rewarding exploration. The Witcher 3 has rewarding exploration too because of the unique stories that you stumble upon that had a good amount of time and care put into them. Dark Souls 1 had good exploration as you could potentially find unique weapons and armor along with different shortcuts.

I'd say Mafia 2 does not have rewarding exploration but that's because the open world exists solely as a set piece for the story, in that way I think it works but I wouldn't want every open world game to be like that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
If you think L.A. Noire was bad...

The original Mafia had a meticulously designed open city, populated by cars and pedestrians, and all you did was complete a set of linear missions.

The open world was a huge achievement for its time, but there was absolutely nothing to do in it

Was that the one where you could set your car to the speed limit to make things even more boring?

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 is very rewarding for a linear game. There are good optional conversations with companions. There are journal entries and notes to find and read that give a backstory to the place or treasure.
It's not unless you care about triophies. Going off the beaten path gave you nothing gameplay wise.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Gothic games have some of the most rewarding exploration. The Witcher 3 has rewarding exploration too because of the unique stories that you stumble upon that had a good amount of time and care put into them. Dark Souls 1 had good exploration as you could potentially find unique weapons and armor along with different shortcuts
How could I forget about The Witcher? Omg.

And yes, I misread the title and thought it was about open world games.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
FFVII Remake, the thread. lol

Edit:
Fallen Order also. The ponchos and lightsaber hilts *sigh*
Unpopular opinion incoming but they should've stripped all the "open world" elements from FF7 Remake and given a very on-rails story-driven experience. The "open world" sections of the game are among its worst, especially the backtracking later in the game. I haven't finished it yet largely because I don't want to do the sidequests later in the game and can't get myself to skip them either.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I think playable characters could work. You could have something like a Zora, who would give much faster swimming, or a Rito who has more air mobility and can fly to more places. Maybe a character who can run really fast. Idk, there seem like a lot of possibilities to me. And I think you could have even more extra areas or themed dungeons/mini-dungeons as an alternative to inventory space and shrines.

For me the only thing I felt was really lacking in the shrine implementation was that they all used the same look. There are some really cool puzzles in them but if they just made the aesthetic match the zone a bit better with a few tilesets it would have pushed it over the top.

There are a decent number of unique world puzzles too, but of course more is always better. Let's just hope the next game finds a better balance between shrine/dungeon content and density.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm going to say it: BotW. The best rewards are just the scenery of a new place. But in terms of actual content, it's shrines, korok seeds, enemy camps and stables, none of which are exciting or interesting. Even the divine beasts are bland and samey. It's too bad that a game with such a good looking world has nothing interesting in it to find.

Nailed it.

With that said, I still enjoyed wandering (which is impressive it its own right given the lacking rewards), but it definitely didn't live up to the excitement I had when finally departing the plateau to discover what awaited elsewhere.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Many if not all MMOs except for ESO.

Still a bit rewarding but with much potential: many open world games like recent Assassin's Creed games. Sure, you always get something, which is technically a reward. But it doesn't feel like that when I get another random item I don't need in 90% of the cases and just dismantle, or, if I don't, boosts my HP from 1303 to 1368. Thanks to the level gating it doesn't mean anything.

This applies only to gameplay-tied rewards, of course. For some the challenge or the journey or the scenery itself can be rewarding.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I didn't feel Horizon Zero Dawn rewarded exploration much, even though I love the game. Most of the things you get for exploring are collectibles that go towards getting trophies, which just isn't that exciting. There are no weapon/armor drops from enemies or chests in Horizon so you get nearly everything from vendors or quest rewards. Only thing I felt like rewarded you for exploring was getting the Shieldweaver armor, but there's nothing else in the game like that. It's one thing I hope they change about the sequel.
Yep. Even the vendors all had the exact same inventory. I really did wish the regional ones had gear for that area (ice in the mountains, fire in the desert...). Then again gear as a whole was not a huge variety.

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I think all we've learned is people feel rewarded or not in different ways.
I do feel some consistent themes though, people definitely appreciate variety on the rewards and usually something that is linked to the mechanics to the game (you get a new power-up, or a new way of doing something fun) can make it much more interesting than just collectibles or cosmetic items.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus. If you're lucky, you'll find a lizard, but otherwise you just explore for the scenery.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I'm going to say it: BotW. The best rewards are just the scenery of a new place. But in terms of actual content, it's shrines, korok seeds, enemy camps and stables, none of which are exciting or interesting. Even the divine beasts are bland and samey. It's too bad that a game with such a good looking world has nothing interesting in it to find.

Yup that's my answer too.
...in Bizarro World.

Real answer:

LA-Noire-Box-Art.jpg

predalien27

Nov 18, 2017
Final Fantasy 2 is actually really bad with this. Many dungeons will have a ton of doors in them that only lead to one screen rooms where you get plopped in the middle and there is an encounter every step on the way back out. It's infuriating.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Fallen Order is another one. There could have been so many cool rewards besides different poncho colors or lightsaber hilt variations.
Is it another case of being pressured by Disney to stick to the canon lore or something? Because I know that was a big thing in Battlefront 2. Having cooler outfits would really entice me to give Fallen Order another shot, like a Jedi Sentinel costume or more fan wanky ones like Starkiller.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
No More Heroes, a whole city to explore, almost completely devoid of life and things to do.

Man, with a thread filled with so many wrong answers, the first post absolutely nails it. I don't remember how many years it's been since I've played it, but this aspect of the game is still disappointing to me.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
It was really weird how some of the Tomb Raider games put a generic skill (unlocked usually in a skill tree or something)at the end of their Tombs.

It really made some moments oddly hollow.

Also FFXV didn't make good use of its space. Everything just ended up being weirdly empty.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Final Fantasy 2.

The game is littered with empty corridors that lead to dead ends, with the only benefit of exploring them being the often higher encounter rate in those corridors leading to more random battles.

Play that game with a guide, lol. It punishes exploration and is the definition of tedious.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Folks are confusing "no reward" with "actual reward that I personally find unsatisfying".

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Every island is a checklist and you immediately know precisely where everything there is to see & do is located. Plus there are neon signs pointing to it all if you use the obnoxious default HUD.

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
Folks are confusing "no reward" with "actual reward that I personally find unsatisfying".

I was gonna say lmao. It is preposterous to think you could seriously answer Breath of the Wild for this question. It doesn't matter if you don't like it, it objectively does reward players for exploring lol.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Came to say L.A. Noire, but I see I'm covered. Now I'm just going to roll my eyes at all the BOTW posts which confuse not enjoying a reward vs literally no reward existing at all.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn.

Remember how i was checking out all the rooms and find hidden paths only to get standard loot from a box.
climbing up the mountain only to find useless lot there aswell

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Definitely one of the most disappointing aspect of this game.

Well the question is also "what games do you think didn't do this well" so I think both types of answers are fine.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played an open world game outside of BotW and The Witcher 3 that does. Probably why I dislike the genre so much.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Well the question is also "what games do you think didn't do this well" so I think both types of answers are fine.
Which is immediately followed by "Games or instances in games where you explored but were never rewarded for it." I guess you can take that as still a person's opinion, but the framing is annoying and is bringing out the drive-bys.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
XC2 in a way. I love the game, but when you explore and 80% of cool rewards are behind a skill-wall, it's not that the game didn't reward you, it blocks it... f*ck that. I will NOT remember all those places tens of hours later when I have those skills.