• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
Look, I'm not gonna tell you that you are wrong for loving BoTW but every single open world game does not need to be compared to it. It's nauseating.

As for review scores, I liked it a lot, but I think Bioshock Infinite is overrated.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The most over rated video game of all time is grand theft auto 4.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Was checking metacritic top ranked and GTA 4 Is way too high, by critics and players.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I don't like using the word "overrated". Like rdr2, for example. I personally didn't enjoy the game as much, but I can definitely see why others would

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I don't understand the Witcher 3 hype, never finished it but what I played was like a 3/5 game
everyone rags on the combat and yeah it's not the best but the story and exploration didn't really do anything for me either

it's different from something like Persona 5 that I just got tired of but I can kinda still see why some people love it

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Bioshock and uncharted I just don't think the gameplay is that good,

TLOU2 is my favourite post ps2 naughty dog game but only because they finally do a good job with the gameplay I think the first has a much better story and settings.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I've pretty much tossed the word "overrated" out of my vocabulary since it only ever seems like a tacit dismissal of people's strongly positive views (and often just for banal things like entertainment). Like, look at your post: you just took three highly-loved games and said that they're "overrated", as if the many people that loved them were misguided in their feelings. That might not have been your intention, but it still comes off that way. That these games didn't garner as much enthusiasm from you, for whatever reasons, doesn't mean they are overrated.

Perfect first post.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Honestly? None.

I can't think of anything highly regarded that I couldn't see the quality and why people liked it even if it was totally not for me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Normally, I'd say that overrating a game just means that you think your opinions are more important than everybody else's.

With that said, there's a thread on the front page here saying that Red Dead Redemption 2 is as impressive as the Pyramids and the Great Wall...

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Usually when people say something is overrated they don't exactly back it up in a way that's even remotely compelling. Like I strongly dislike games like Death Stranding and Red Dead Redemption 2, but just because they don't jive with me doesn't mean they're not excellent games.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I won't say anything is really overrated because we all like different things, but I will say that as a Zelda fan, I thought BoTW was mediocre and not even close to being the best Zelda let alone best game of all time.

AdmiralGrogu

Feb 17, 2022
BOTW - it's really good game, just not as groundbreaking as people make it seem to be.

Lately - Elden Ring. Sure, it's great, but it has its issues that are getting ignored by some people.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Normally, I'd say that overrating a game just means that you think your opinions are more important than everybody else's.

With that said, there's a thread on the front page here saying that Red Dead Redemption 2 is as impressive as the Pyramids and the Great Wall...
I don't know what the official definition of "Overrated" is but to me "Overrated" means enjoying something but also realizing that it's not as flawless as most people say it is.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
None. People have a right to enjoy things as much as they want and my opinion isn't any more valid than theirs.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
God of War - If I actually existed in a bubble, never in a billion billion years would I think to hold this game up as some all-time masterpiece. It's decent, polished, and well put together for what it is, but does nothing new or remarkable. 8/10 tops. A mostly forgettable popcorn action game.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
What Remains Of Edith Finch

Not sure why this became the ultimate "walking simulator", there have been others with a better atmosphere in my opinion.

Like... I dunno. I just found it amazingly silly. Like, once they tipped their hand and I found out they literally licensed the.theme to Halloween, my already tenuous ability to take the game seriously dried up.

Like, I had fun with it. But I dunno, its an entire family dying crazy Final Destination deaths, more or less. It had zero emotional impact, because it sandwiched bizarre interesting gameplay bits between super mundane deaths that were over in thirty seconds--I think it needed to pick a lane between the weirdness and the tragedy,, and doing both caused both to fall flay. I dunno, sequences were fun--hell, the EC comics bit was cool despite the music making me wonder why they just didn't license the Crypt Keeper too while they were at it, and the cannery was good. But a lot of the stories were too brief with no meat to them, which made the standouts silly and jarring to me.

Last edited:

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
KCc2Aqi.png

Yoshi's Island is a fun game, but I wouldn't consider it the 'absolute pinnacle of 2D platforming' that I've seen the internet praise it with. The Baby Mario gimmick always annoys me more than anything else, having to jump around like a lunatic while I try to stop myself from getting a Game Over. Woolly World is much more my jam as a Yoshi game.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
I thought of a few different games when I read the title but the one that stands out the most to me is The Witcher 3, which I see as a pretty okay RPG but everyone else seems to see as a 10/10 Game of the Generation contender.

The combat is mediocre as hell, Geralt controls like shit, levelling up is boring because you never really get anything interesting out of it and they put a lot of effort into having story in their side quests but that doesn't really make up for the fact that a majority of the side quests involve following red trails using the game's really bad Detective mode rip-off.

I also really don't care for the game's story, despite a lot of people seeming to consider it the peak of video game writing.

The Bloody Baron quest that everyone else seems to consider the peak of video game writing is actually just really misogynistic for no reason. Like, who thought it was a good idea to write a story about an abusive marriage that literally silences the victim whilst giving the abuser multiple conversations to express his viewpoint. It's particularly galling considering that the only ending to the quest in which the victim lives, you have no choice but to leave her with her fucking abuser. Fuck this quest.

After that the story loses all momentum because you spend a bunch of hours dicking around in Novigrad looking for Dandelion, who to be quite frank, is a very annoying character once you find him. The story recovers in Skellige and builds to a big climax at Kaer Morhen. Despite peaking with the battle against the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen the game spends another couple of hours on an underwhelming third act before you get to the ending.

On top of all that, The Wild Hunt are the least interesting villains I have ever seen in a major RPG. I do not say this lightly but Mass Effect: Andromeda has more compelling villains than this game.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've pretty much tossed the word "overrated" out of my vocabulary since it only ever seems like a tacit dismissal of people's strongly positive views (and often just for banal things like entertainment). Like, look at your post: you just took three highly-loved games and said that they're "overrated", as if the many people that loved them were misguided in their feelings. That might not have been your intention, but it still comes off that way. That these games didn't garner as much enthusiasm from you, for whatever reasons, doesn't mean they are overrated.
Further, you can't personally rate a game at a 9, then label it overrated because someone else gave it a 10. That is called being petty.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I've genuinely been unimpressed with every Mario game I've played since like SMB. I get that they seem good-ish and I can see the appeal I suppose, but they not only do nothing for me but I'm generally bored.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Souls games, especially BB, which is easily the most overrated game in this place by a mile (in my opinion of course)

And I'm a Souls fanboy.

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
yeah, this is it. i called stuff overrated as a teenager with the intent to bolster my own percieved "taste." i stopped using the word when i grew up and realized how silly it was.

i mean, i'm not trying to say the word "overrated" is meaningless; i'm sure this thread will have good, analytical posts.

but i still kinda roll my eyes instictively when a post says something like "[insert game] is the most overrated of all time", even when they're talking about a game i also don't like. it's just so myopic. seems like there could be better ways to foster negative discussion of games. i dunno.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Dread. It reminded me how much the -vania contributes to those kind of games. It felt like few things had changed in the years since Super Metroid apart from those EMMI segments which I absolutely hated.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
I think with any brand new title the discussion is always going to swing either excessively positive or negative.

This is gonna be a hot take: Tetris. I don't really see its influence in gaming apart from other matching games. I personally find it repetitive and not mentally stimulating. I can appreciate the genius behind the game's creation, but I don't think playing the game is particularly interesting.

Edit: well I thought it would be a hot take, but it looks like someone thought the same thing on the first page lol

Last edited:

AJUK

May 28, 2019
Soulsbourne games, now don't get me wrong I have played and enjoyed them to a degree, but I feel like the vagueness and difficulty gives the hardcore fans reason to say why people don't like it. Basically if you don't enjoy the games you're not good enough. Personally I think a more story driven and less vague souls "style" game would be very successful and enjoyable for many.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I have never understood why so many people seem to have an issue with the term overrated

It simply means that you don't agree with the consensus, that's it. Why is that so contentious?
I mean it's obviously meaningless if you don't explain your opinion behind it but that's not a problem with the term itself

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
There is only one game I enjoy naming in threads like this, and that game is Secret of Mana. I've held a grudge against this SNES "classic" for over 20 years now. Its gameplay sucks, and I don't think its soundtrack and visuals are that hot, either.

But I generally like the recent critically-acclaimed games that people will mention in this thread.

I have never understood why so many people seem to have an issue with the term overrated

It simply means that you don't agree with the consensus, that's it. Why is that so contentious?

The problem with using the term "overrated" is that you imply that other people's opinions of those games are wrong. It's not quite the same as saying you disagree with the consensus.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Hades and probably most "9/10" and "10/10" indie games.

They are great for the amount of effort put into them, just not life-changing as the hype often claims.
I agree. Whenever I play the latest indie darling that people are falling all over themselves to praise, almost every time it ends up being like an 8/10 IMO.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
I have standard BotW/Nier Automata/Dragon's Dogma complaints so I'll mix it up and go with Perfect Dark. as a PD fan, interesting tech demo/n64 sendoff in that sense, some memey moments in the campaign, good comfort food that builds on GE, crammed with features and maps regardless of whether they are polished, and bots that are goofy, but.... it doesnt really hold up well compared to, say, Half Life two years prior or Halo a year later. only people who grew up with it really enjoy it, as an appreciation of what it tried at the time and how much raw content it had, but as a polished, consistent experience i dont think its supremely compelling then or now.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It implies that everyone else just likes a thing too much. Like there's a only certain value to something that somehow the person who sees it as overrated can see clearly while others can't.

You can just not like something as much as someone else but there's a difference between simply saying that and what "overrated" says. The latter isn't about you, it's about other people.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Uncharted. Found most of these forgettable and kinda glad i did not paid more than 10 bucks for any of them.
Also most AAA games with lot's of slow walk and taking controls out of the player often are bore.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I want to say RDR2, but I've never played it. This is only my thought based off of videos/anecdotes I read online - it looks dreadful to play.

My real answer is Metal Gear Rising. I played it. As a die-hard Metal Gear fan, holy shit I wish I could get my time back.