• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 has been the biggest bang for my buck in terms of new releases this year. The Messenger was my GOTY last year and I got my money's worth many times over before I bought the physics edition this year

Slowbro

Oct 27, 2017
I have to second everyone saying Sekiro, Shadowbringers, and Three Houses. You all have good taste.

I just bought MH World: Iceborne a couple days ago, and am looking forward to spending the long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving!) fighting dinosaurs in the tundra.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Think I've got like 200 hours out of dmc5

Ffxiv speaks for itself. Game doesn't even have an end

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Technically a 2018 game, but DQ11 on the Switch. It's a fantastic game and I definitely got my money's worth and then some.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I paid maybe $15 for Slay the Spire and have over 300 hours logged. And then I double dipped on the Switch port and have maybe 40 hours played there.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt play many current games this year, but in terms of price / time ratio, that wow classic sub was hard to beat.

Other than that, a plague tale was a solid little game. Sekiro was also good, even though i didnt like it as much as from's other games.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everything I completed on Game Pass, since was so cheap.

I don't count the amount of time I can spend on a game as getting my moneys worth, but more if the game is actually worth spending time on. If I feel it is, I usually feel I got my moneys worth. In effect it basically means the games I enjoy/value the most, are those I'd list in a thread like this and this year those would be:

Outer Wilds
Crackdown 3
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Days Gone
Gears 5

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Disco Elysium Right now. Easily the most batshit insane game in 10 years for me.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Haven't bought much this year; even less for full price.

Paid $60 for Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled's special edition, and I haven't put it down since launch, near four months ago.

Oh, and I paid $7 for Guacamelee 2 and had a great 14 or so hours with that, though with little reason to ever revisit it.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
As of 2019, I've got a fairly large list, with games like FFT, Tactics Ogre, and the various Animal Crossings, not to mention about 13 years out of Warcraft III playing the original versions of DotA.

But from 2019, right now I'd say Yo-kai Watch 3. I can understand why it got largely ignored, considering the previous two games, but man, this is the one! Absolutely great fun, great charm, and finally the combination of battle system and everything else has come together.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
All games I've bought and played in 2019:
Resident Evil 2
Anthem
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Catherine: Full Body
KH3
Link's Awakening

Of those I feel Resident Evil 2 and Fire Emblem were worth it. The rest left me with too obvious grievances, but I will say KH3 is excellent for those that want some closure for certain character arcs and whatnot in that saga of Kingdom Hearts (BBS not really KH2 lol). Still, it's not a game I'll go back to once I've seen it once.

Resident Evil 2 is a short campaign of roughly 5-6 hours but it feels completely appropriate and then there's great difficulty differences and two slightly different campaigns to go through and then in reverse order because it's all addicting enough to go trophy hunting. Fire Emblem is value by content and padding. I don't feel like that game was worth wasting 80 hours on but hey, I endured it and the combat is basically as good as in previous games, and if you just want a game that keeps you preoccupied for 100s of hours it just does that.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Sekiro. Still need to play REmake2!

Having already player the PS4 version, I have every reason to believe I'll get my money's worth on the PC version of RDR2. Cautiously optimistic that Death Stranding will be worth the day one purchase as well.

ToKre

Mar 11, 2018
Definitely sekiro
-
On the other hand i feel robbed after paying 60$ for RE2 Remaster it was short as fk.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 comes to mind as the most recent, but my real answer is Game Pass. For $100 (so far this year) I've beaten 16 games, including playing through the entire Gears series (I've never been a huge fan, but there's something cool about getting to experience an entire series in a short period of time). Also Crackdown 3, which wasn't a great $60 game, but as a "free" Game Pass game I had a lot fun in co-op.

There's a lot of stuff I haven't gotten to this year because I've been playing stuff on Game Pass, and a lot of that isn't from 2019.

Did Slay the Spire come out on console this year? I've put an unreasonable amount of time into that game.

Apex Legends. It's the only BR game I've put any real amount of time into. Of course its free, so that helps, but I like it enough that I'd probably spend money on it if I could get my friends to play it more with me.

I guess Borderlands 3 also counts. The shooting and movement feels pretty good this time around, and I got 30 or 40 hours out of it.

Hightower

Aug 8, 2019
Judgment and DMC V for me so far. Judgment had a fun, lengthy story and tons of hilarious side content. DMC V gives you an entirely new mechanic at the start of the final boss fight. Then you can replay the whole game with everything you've already acquired and all the abilities you've unlocked, plus they revamp and change all the enemy placements. Let alone the fact that I felt like I barely even scraped the surface when it comes to what Dante is capable of doing in fights. Also DMC V's soundtrack is killer and I can't get tired of it no matter how many times I listen to Devil Trigger and Silver Bullet. Ugggh, so good.

Game Pass on PC is finally starting to get really good though. Gears 5 was great, I'm playing Bloodstained currently and I've got the Outer Worlds to look forward too this month.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
This is a good gaming year for me, got my moneys worth on all of my game purchases.

Final Fantasy XIV : Shadowbringers
Just main scenario quest alone is worth the price. Engaging storytelling, rich lore, lovable casts, charming villain, and top-tier music. It's good old FF which is pure ecstasy.
I have a lot of fun doing Extreme trial and Savage raid and many of my friends return to the game. Best expansion for me.

Devil May Cry 5
11 years waiting and it's a blast to playthrough different difficulties (except those 1hko difficulty lol). Nero is so much fun to play as and Dante is super complex to mastered in a good way. Still boot it up to fight around in bloody palace or mission 13. I'm ready to double dip on DMC5se PS5 edition. Give it to me, Capcom.

Resident Evil 2 remake
5 playthroughs. Got the Platinum trophy and still thirst for more. It's a shame they didn't have any big SP dlc.

Sekiro
I didn't play it as much as other souls game. Still finished multiple times to get all endings, beat all bosses and obtain all skills. I'm waiting for the urge to have one more playthrough before Elden Ring drop.

MHW Iceborne
New monsters are well made. New weapon movesets are satisfyingly fun to use. Already clocked 30+ hrs and it's just the beginning, still a long way to go with future updates.

Last edited:

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Three games for three completely different reasons.

Gears of War 5 - This is such a content rich title, the multiplayer is it's usual top tier stuff (albeit a bit lacking in the maps department) combined with what's a fantastic campaign so far, and I literally haven't touched Escape or Horde yet. To top it off, all of this is part of the XGP service, great stuff all round.

Apex Legends - This really caught me off guard this year, as I was actually away on holiday when it released. Since then I've put 100's of hours in and I haven't even touched the new season yet. Oh, and it's F2P.

Resident Evil 2 Remake - One of my 'proper' purchases this year (albeit purchased by the Mrs as a gift). I ended up unlocking every achievement in this, finishing both scenarios with both characters on the highest difficulty. Top tier content.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 2 Gold with the expansion pass. Seemingly never ending Escalations (3 tiered assassinations with incremental difficulty spikes for each instance), plus revolving Elusive Targets and legacy ones. Overall the maps aren't as memorable as Hitman 2016 however, though Miami is definitely a GOAT map.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. I put over 300 hours in and I'm pretty sure I can cross the 400 hour mark before I completed the story.
All single player btw, I think I tried the Online for about 3 times and then I was completely fed up with griefers and other asshats.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Out of games that were released this year, Sekiro, Super Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening: Remake and Dragon Quest XI: Definitive Edition. All of them are amazing and I got my money worth of easily.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Fire Emblem, almost 200 hours and I still haven't finished each house's story, easily my GotY so far.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Rimworld- I've played 256 hours
Don't Starve- 143 hours
Stardew Valley-141 hours

They are my top played games and well worth their purchase price.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Hitman 2, and Fortnite, it's supposed to be free but I do spend a lot of money on it, but considering its all I play these days can't complain

Edit: just realized H2 is a 2018 game, I don't think I've bought a single new game in 2019

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2019 games worth the money: RE2R, Sekiro, Slay The Spire, They Are Billions, Wreckfest, DOOM and DOOM II, The Messenger and Apex.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2. Basically endless user content.

Tetris 99. Free (with a Nintendo Online sub) and absolutely incredible, I play it every day.

Outer Wilds. My favourite game of the year and got it with Game Pass.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, only Mortal Kombat 11. Lots of content, highest production values, got the most playtime out of it.
This year was a bad year for me in regards to games. Not many games that interested me and not many games that delivered when I bought them. Biggest disappointment was Dead or Alive 6, one of my all time favorite game series. I regretted buying the Deluxe Edition of the game.
Luckily 2020 looks a lot more promising. :)

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Black Desert Online. It's pretty much the only game I've even touched this year. The gameplay loop is addictive.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Assassins creed odyssey took up a lot of my time this year. Otherwise Fire Emblem

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Control, Sekiro, DMC5, RE2.... Now that I think of it I've bought a ton of games this year and I haven't been super disappointed by many. Maybe Blair Witch? I 100%d it and think it's an inoffensive game but I probably would wait for a sale in any other circumstance. Maybe Untitled Goose Game also would be on the 'wait for a sale' list given that it's kinda just a memey novelty. John Wick Hex was good, if short and kinda ugly/stiff.

Yeah I can't really think of any game I've played this year that really egregiously left me wanting.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Bloodstained - love this game
Ffxiv - beat the original campaign and working towards a better story I hope. But I've put in over 90+ hrs into it
Destiny 2 would be the next one as once I get hooked I won't be able to put it down

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Maker 2: lots of great user-created content, good "campaign" of levels from Nintendo

Astral Chain: took over 30+ hours to beat and lot of stuff for me to go back and do/side quests

Fire Emblem Three House: Massive game with multiple routes through the campaign.

Bloodstained: Worth it as a Kickstarter backer giving the minimum to get the game. Good Metroidvania plus Curse of the Moon is an fine retro platformer.