• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Killer_Instinct_retail_cover_art.jpg

Was very interested from the moment they revealed it and was the main game I played on Xbox up until the PC release.

All the other consoles was for multiple games, except maybe Fable on Xbox

Apr 3, 2018
Xbox 360 for Witcher 2.

Got this fancy edition years ago from Best Buy for like, $10 with a coupon. Had to get a 360 after that but the game, for that price, was a big draw. I had moved away from console gaming for the most part at the time so it was nice holding a controller again.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild had me waking up one Sunday thinking about how fun it seems to play to owning a switch and a copy by lunch. It was so strange as it was out for a year and a half before I got the urge.

FF7R also got me to buy a PS4 and I dont regret it.

Apart from this gen I havent owned a console since the PS2 which was a gift

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Only one game has ever sold me on a console, and that was FF X on the PS2. Of course, I bought a PS3 and PS4 afterwards, as well as other consoles, but not for any particular game.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
I've always bought PlayStation consoles, and have a history with Nintendo, so those are often no brainers.

But being a huge Insomniac fan, I had to pick up the Xbox One Bundle. Enjoyed the game, as well as Ori, but everything else has been fair to middling. I finally just subscribed to Game Pass since I have some free time, but overall the console's unique offerings has been pretty disappointing.

I also grabbed a Vita, my first handheld since my childhood Gameboy, when Velocity Ultra launched. I loved the PSMini release and really wanted to play Tearaway as well.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only time this has ever happened to me was Bloodborne on PS4. I had never played a Souls game prior, so it was purely based on the aesthetic and tone of the trailers. I don't remember using my ps4 for much between that and Dark Souls 3 the next year, either lol

Edit: Oh yeah, I did buy a Vita pretty much solely to play Spelunky on the go at the height of my Spelunky addiction. Didn't use it for much else besides that and playing some PS1 games, either

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I bought PS4 solely for how tight the fire projectile attack in Infamous SS was from a 10min gameplay trailer. The sound was great, really captured the fwofffpah.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a 360 because of Left 4 Dead.

Got a Switch because I missed Mario Kart and Smash.

Bought a PS4 for Spider-Man.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting a PS3 entirely because of Metal Gear Solid 4.

A single screenshot of Pikachu in Super Smash Bros. Melee made me beg for a GameCube.

Breath of the Wild guaranteed I'd get a Switch, even though I'd have probably gotten one anyways.

I almost got an Xbox 360 to play Sonic 2006

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The Last of Us (PS3)
8252729323f94854ba6ebjpg-84366d_800w-610x769.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of this game but don't regret buying it or a PS3.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
1.jpg

One of my favorite games ever, truly a classic.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
N3DS_SuperSmashBros_pkg.png

Smash Bros. on the go? Count me in! I put a lot more time into this version.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Bayonetta 2 - Wii U
PSTV - Muramasa Rebirth
Switch - Bayonetta 3...........
Xbox 1 - Scalebound.......

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Blue_Dragon_Box_Art.jpeg

This is the sole reason I purchased a 360. I was beyond hyped for the game - and while it failed to live up to the impossible expectations I still have a soft spot for it.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
PS2 - Resident Evil 4

Played at a friend's place and got hooked, i needed to finish that game, couldn't get it out of my head really.

XB360 - Left 4 Dead 2

Having a powerful PC at the time at my country was completely out of the question, both by hardware and software price. So Xbox did the trick.

XB1 - Dead Rising 3/Halo 5

Really wanted to continue with my account, get the proper sequel to Halo 4, and, DR3 seemed appealing as hell by launch. Definitely didn't pay off by the end of it.

PS4 - Bloodborne

I was between this and a graphic's card upgrade, but in the end Bloodborne won me over. Swapped my XB1 and had a blast with that game. It really paid off in the end because RE7's demo ended up being exclusive to PS and GoW 2018 was amazing.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt I'd ever have got a PS4 without Bloodborne. Amazing game but I'm not sure I'd do such a thing again for a Bloodborne 2 or whatever. Most other systems had a wider range of stuff I was interested in. REmake was a huge motivator behind getting the Gamecube but I knew other interesting Capcom games where coming as well.

asterios

Feb 14, 2019
Halo 3 got me to buy a 360. The PS3 was kind of a dud at that point in time, and everyone I knew had a 360, so as an 18 year old making 10/hour I was like yea. What's wrong with dropping 500 bucks without thinking twice. Was worth it though. Have some great memories with that game.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm the few times it happened:

Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) - N64
Gran Turismo 2 - PSX
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - GC
Zone of the Enders / DBZ Budokai - PS2
Zelda Twilight Princess - Wii

dearodie

Oct 27, 2017
Intellivision - Utopia
Gameboy- tetris
Sms - shinobi
Pc engine - p47
Snes - super castlevania 4
Gamecube - luigis mansion
Gba - castlevania circle of the moon
Wii - twilight princess
Ds - mario kart
3ds - mario 3d land
WiiU - Zombi U
Ps4 - drive club
Switch - botw

mostly nintendo ... always had a pc on the side though, still do

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a Wii U for Breath of the Wild ("Zelda Wii U" at the time).
Bought a Switch for Breath of the Wild.
Bought a PS4 for Bloodborne.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought my SNES for Killer instinct, my N64 for Killer Instinct Gold, and my Xbox One for Killer Instinct 3.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Genesis:SoR2, Thunderforce 3, Sonic 3
SNES: SF2, FF6
Saturn:SF Alpha, VF
Xbox:Halo
PS3: blu ray
360: Gears 1
XSX: will be Halo infinite
PS5: will be ???

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
The most definitive answer I have for this is MGS4. I probably would have bought a PS3 eventually once the library built itself up, but that was the only game I simply had to have.

And it was well worth it, I might add.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
85972-motorstorm-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

I had no plans to buy a PS3 in it's first year due to how expensive the damn thing was but after going to a friends place to play the demo when it came out I pretty much changed my plan and bought a 20GB PS3 a few weeks later. I still have that system to this day (still works).

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
PC: Doom
Dreamcast: Virtual On - Oratorio Tangram
PS2: Devil May Cry
Xbox: Ninja Gaiden
Gamecube: Metroid Prime
Xbox 360: Ninja Gaiden II

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Odyssey and BotW made me purchase my first Nintendo console. I thought they were going to take these giant steps with all their franchises and they didn't so now I have Switch that collects dust.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Let's see... I bought a Vita for Persona 4 Golden, a XBOX 360 for Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey and the original Playstation for Ridge Racer. No regrets whatsoever.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Pretty straight forward with that one.

But other than that, since I've been old enough to get my own systems:

I got a 360 (over a PS3 despite owning a PS2) because of Gears of War and Mass Effect. Not to mention I kept hearing that third party games were much better on 360 compared to PS3.

I went back to Playstation with the PS4 because I wanted to play those sweet Sony games. There wasn't really any specific game (other than Infamous), but I knew they'd deliver based on their PS3 output. Plus the end of the 360 era really soured me on Xbox with the lack of first party games and PS+ being so good on PS3. I have to say it was well worth it. Sony's first party games have been some of my favorite of this gen -- Bloodborne, Horizon, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush, Uncharted etc etc.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Genesis: Revenge of shinobi
Snes : Super Castlevania 4
NeoGeo: Art of fighting
Psone: Resident evil
Neogeo pocket: Snk vs Capcom
Dreamcast: RE code Veronica
Ps2: MGS2
Xbox: Splinter cell
Ps3: Motorstom
360: Splinter cell : Conviction

Other systems i owned were because of multiple games

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
The only times I was so impressed by the games that I had to buy a system to play them, since then I have owned all platforms.

PS2:
MGS2.jpg

Xbox:
s-l400.jpg

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Dragon Quest IX - Nintendo DS
Dragon Quest XI - PS4

Nice! I dunno why I never jumped on playstation before, but it happened I got really into dragon warrior and then 7 was on the horizon so it was a no brainer. After PS2 I pretty much was getting every console just to get them. I suppose at this point if they put a new dragon quest just on xbox I would start buying them again.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a PSP for Mega Man: Powered Up. First time I ever bought a game first before the actual system to play it on.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot.

I got a PSP for Tactics Ogre. What a game. Such a brilliant Remake/Remaster (remaster doesnt seem to cut it)

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the original Xbox because of two games: Halo and Jet Set Radio Future.

Shenmue 2 would have been up there as well, but I had already imported the European DC version.

The PSP is my least played handheld, but I bought it for Birth By Sleep and Before Crisis. Eh. Could've been worse.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... only time I can recall one specific game really motivated me was Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch. I was really hankering to play a Mario Kart and managed to hunt down a Switch right before it came out to make that happen. Was always planning to get a Switch, but it moved the time table up by a few months.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy 7 got me to PSOne.

Gears of War got me to 360.

Think those were the only two real system sellers for me.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne and Persona 5 for the PS4
BotW for the Switch
Twilight Princess for the Wii
Super Mario Kart for the SNES
FFX for the PS2
I dont remember what it was for the Gamecube.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Sega Genesis: Sonic 2
PC: Microsoft Flight Simulator 95
PS2: Madden and Gran Turismo 3
Xbox: Halo CE, later vindicated with JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta ☺️
Xbox 360: Oblivion
Wii U: Mario Kart 8 and Star Fox Zero (no regrets! Love SFZ!)
2DS: Star Fox 64 & Fire Emblem Awakening
Xbox One: Gears 4
Switch: Splatoon 2

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I wanted a PS3 from the get-go but I got a Wii that Christmas instead because I had to have Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. But with Skate coming out? I HAD to have it. Got a PS3 and Skate the following Christmas.