• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game (that has released so far) is the likely GOTY candidate in your opinion?

• Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Votes: 116 7.8%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 439 29.7%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 309 20.9%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 229 15.5%
  • Devil May Cry 5

Votes: 78 5.3%
  • Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne

Votes: 37 2.5%
  • Other (please specify down below!)

Votes: 272 18.4%

• Total voters

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
RE2 is by far the best game, but its also a remake so not sure if I'd give it GOTY

Maybe gears 5, I've only played two hours but the first impression is very good

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Mortal Kombat 11 followed closely by Travis Strikes Again
giphy.gif

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Sekiro or Control were both amazing.
Astral Chain was also a top tier game this year. Excited to see how the GOTY awards go this year though.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe I'm saying this but it has to be FFXIV: Shadowbringers for me.

Over Sekiro... over DMC5... I... a fucking MMO expansion of all things.

This is a very unusual year in gaming for me.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Sekiro and Resident Evil will be the most likely candidates, along with Borderlands, Doom Eternal, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Gears 5. Fringe candidates will be Mario Maker, Link's Awakening, Astral Chain and Outer Wilds.

Personal GOTY is Fire Emblem by a country mile.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Iceborne. The base game is already so good, and the expansion made it much better.

Followed closely by DMC V. And I still nedd to play RE2, just have to be in the right mood.

Year of Capgod.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Resident Evil 2 closely followed by Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Resi 2 might be a remake, but that's okay; it such a wonderful game. Three Houses is a fantastic strategy RPG

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of what most people will vote for, I actually think Three Houses and Death Stranding will have much easier roads. DMCV and RE2 are just a littttttle too niche in terms of genre fanbases and Sekiro is maybe a touch divisive
RE2 niche but the waifu wars tactical RPG isn't. Lmao.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Might not get many votes but my personal game if the year so far is Ace Combat 7 followed by Control.

I am playing through FFXIV but only at Storm Blood, I imagine Shadowbringers will be right up there once I okay it!

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
What were people's issues with DMC 5 seems not a lot of people liked it?
I liked it but it was just a little underwhelming after 10 years imo was hoping for something more exciting beyond the combat systems.
- Nero and Dante are at the top of their game,impressive amount of options, V is obligatory for some missions and he is more mixed because you dont have much control over him still he is a fun character.
-most of the plot depends on a lame twist, the side characters are either kidnapped for no good reason or very annoying like Nico, imo it was a step down from dmc3 and 4 and the cutscenes not as stylish either, no big battles on screen too much talking.some of the demons were recycled personality/character design wise though they still had fun battles

- i really dislike the art direction, its like DmC but without the good parts however the main character models look great and animations very well made, its just i wish it was something different than grey city, sewers and fleshy red. Wikipedia says the game looks like this but i don't see it anywhere :^(
Midhurst_from_the_South.JPG

Leeds_castle.JPG

-loading times really suck
-no dlc for Vergil or The Ladies so far, campaign was serviceable but not cool :^/

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I could've sworn that RE2 would be a shoe in this year.

But then I got blindsided with Fire Emblem and Shadowbringers so as it stands

1. Shadowbringers
2. Fire Emblem 3 Houses
3. Resident Evil 2 Remake

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm interesting poll choices.

Out of what I've played my list would look like this in this order.

Resident Evil 2
Apex Legends
Devil May Cry V
Crash Team Racing

Sekiro, Control & Gears 5 will most likely slot into the upper end of that list quite nicely but I need time to play them.

Death Stranding, Doom Eternal, Outer Worlds will no doubt be up there once released. Should make for a really nice top 10.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
It's a tough choice between Sekiro and Outer Wilds for me, and at one point I thought Supraland or Baba is You would be it as well.

Either way I think my top 5 is locked for the year.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
For me:
Bloodstained - captured and mastered the Igavania genre

followed by:
- DMC5
- Fire Emblem 3 Houses
- Tetris 99

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5, easily. It's the full package, going to be sinking sooo many hours into this game.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't understand people saying REmake 2 shouldn't count because its a remake. if it was a remaster i would agree.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Resident Evil 2 is definitely my GOTY so far, followed by Control.

Tho if we'll go by what's more likely to actually win, the obvious guess goes to Death Stranding.