• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What game (that has released so far) is the likely GOTY candidate in your opinion?

• Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Votes: 116 7.8%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 439 29.7%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 309 20.9%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 229 15.5%
  • Devil May Cry 5

Votes: 78 5.3%
  • Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne

Votes: 37 2.5%
  • Other (please specify down below!)

Votes: 272 18.4%

• Total voters

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
I've only played around 4 new games this year including Sekiro and Fire Emblem. Both will likely get at least a few awards.

Personally, GOTY will likely be Pokemon, Baba is You (best puzzle game of all time) or Destiny 2 Shadowkeep if that counts.

Seriously though, Baba is You is incredible. Check it out if you like puzzle games and somehow haven't played it yet.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro for sure. It was my first FromSoft platinum trophy. I couldn't put that game down. Beat it 4 times.

I also don't understand all the votes for RE2. It was fun. I played it day one. But it was a remake. It wasn't a new experience other than the face lift it got.

I get its a classic, but GOTY should be reserved for new stories/experiences IMO.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'm thinking Slay the Spire right now. I've racked up quite a lot of time playing that, and I recently picked it back up to check out the fourth character (!) in the beta branch of Steam.

Second place is probably Shadowbringers or Three Houses, not sure which. MARIO Maker 2 is up there, too.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is the only game I've played this year that could even come close to being my game of the year. Unless Death Stranding is incredible, I don't see that changing either.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonquestb2.jpg

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I'm surprised at the amount of people in here saying Sekiro. I guess they don't realize that souls games don't usually rack up the GOTY awards. Not to mention that pretty much all talk around Sekiro kind of ceased shortly after it came out. I really don't think most of the press will give it much of a look.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Sekiro. New IP, great combat system,awesome challenge. RE2 is a great remake,but a remake. Iceborne might have been an excellent expansion,but still it ain't a whole new game.

So yeah,so far it's Sekiro for me and if any game dethrones it it's gonna be either Death Stranding or Doom Eternal

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Loving all these Japanese big hitters. My money is on Sekiro, an amazing action game that showed that FROM weren't going to rest on their laurels, that they weren't afraid to shake up their formula.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
if the campaign is solid, i could see CoD getting nominated for the first time in i don't know how long.

for me personally it's been dirt rally 2.0 and sekiro

also hoping that jedi fallen order is worthy. wew can y'all imagine?

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Right now, it's Judgment. By the end of the year, it could be Trails of Cold Steel III.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played most of the games in the list, except some demos.

But for what I have played, it would be Days Gone for sure.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Dragon Quest Builders 2.
If you played it, you knew why.

But just in case:
It's an incredible game that mixes the best of Minecraft with an actually GREAT Dragon Quest story. It's super heartwarming and fun.
The building works even better than (console and mobile versions of) Minecraft. Sadly it doesn't have the theoretically infinite worlds, but it's still amazingly huge nonetheless.
I put over 80 hours into this thing and will get back to it to create a huge town on my island because that game is fun. Super fun. Even with all the framerate issues.

Oct 27, 2017
RE2make, Sekiro, and Astral Chain are all pretty likely to end up on my list, and right now RE2make is probably the top. It's so much fun to play, great sound, good pacing, excellent animations, fantastic adaptation of the original's interconnected level design. It's the new bar for remakes or series updates, in general.

Similarly, Astral Chain has its flaws (camera, some monotonous areas, rating system doesn't quite match up to intuitive ideas of the "best" play), but I can't put it down. That's probably my first indicator when it comes to "best ofs" - could I put it down once I started playing it, and did I go back to it? I've gone back to RE2make for the (counting Claire A as the first, and Leon B as the return) it was a blast. We'll see about Astral Chain.

Sekiro I did put down, but I still enjoyed a lot of what From was doing with it. There's a lot of ideas that are new to that studio that they're trying out, some growth in other directions, and the game is gorgeous. It's no Bloodborne, tho.

FE3H is better for me as a more relaxed thing in between playing other stuff, so it doesn't really match RE2make or Astral Chain in that regard. The game is fun and can get absorbing, but it doesn't hit the highs of those other games. That said, it does a few more interesting things in terms of plot and politics. Sometimes, though, it seems more that the game wants to deal in complex subjects without having much to say about them. Religion, culture, and dynastic politics are interesting, but it's not like they're handled particularly well by FE3H. They're just... present. Which is more than I can say for most other games on the list, but still.

Tetris 99 is a lot of fun and also meets my main criteria of grabbing me and having a game worth returning to, but there's not quite enough there. Maybe if I went back and tried the Invictus mode I would see more of what I'm looking for in a competitive puzzle game.

If I can count Celeste again because of the recent release of the DLC, tho, it's better than that whole list. Celeste is everything that I've praised in the above games and more, in a more creative and elegant package. And in Lena Raine it has far and away the best composer and OST.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Outlets would definitely give it to RE2 if voting was today. People seem way too split on Sekiro. Games like Fire Emblem andDMC 5 don't have enough widespread appeal amongst critics. And expansions like Shadowbringers and Iceborne will never win, regardless of quality.

For me personally it's pretty close between RE2 and Sekiro, with Fire Emblem in 3rd.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Of that list, I think RE2 is the only one I'd consider a guaranteed lock for a GOTY nomination from the TGAs. Fire Emblem is also very likely, but I have extreme doubts about it being the winner. RE2 could absolutely pull it out, depending on how the rest of the field shakes out.

- The onboard for FFXIV is atrocious, and I think it's impossible to expect critics to get 'up to pace' against a crowded Fall season of other games to play.
- Sekiro is an interesting throwback, but really lacks the passion that the Souls games inspired from the critical community.
- DmC V is also a great example of its core genre, but it's got two other huge Japanese action games in the category. I feel like the votes are going to be split, hard.
- Iceborne's an expansion pack, not a game.

I also think Apex Legends could sneak in, but the last few big updates have really soured people on the MTX front.

My best bet for the six is Fire Emblem, RE2, Death Stranding, Gears 5, Outer Wilds - and either DMC, Jedi Fallen Order, Apex, Modern Warfare, or Sekiro.

Hightower

Aug 8, 2019
Judgment for me. Enjoyed the fighting, story and side content a bunch, Control is a close second if it wasn't for all the god-awful performance issues on PS4. Although I'm yet to finish Astral Chain or DMC 5 yet. DOOM Eternal could still show up and steal the show though.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Everything but Sekiro

But seriously the year isn't over yet, DOOM ETERNAL and Death Stranding are still coming

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's gonna be re2/sekiro, but I think Death Stranding will be taking it by the end of the year, or the star wars game if it is somehow good also

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I think Resident Evil 2 & Super Mario Maker 2 are the only two 2019 games I've played thusfar.

At this point it's Resident Evil 2. While not perfect (missing the true B scenarios) it delivered in a big way.

Super Mario Maker 2 is a worthy follow-up but didn't have the same impact for me that the first did.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I think that of the games that have released so far Sekiro will pick up the most awards, I don't think we've seen GOTY yet.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I dont know. I love dmc5 but only because of like 5 missions in that game. I think it's the best game this year but it's a hard one to convince other people of.

But as far as video game ass video game experiences about hitting things in lots of different ways go I think dmc is better than anything

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So far it's Sekiro, 3 Houses in 2nd place, and 3rd play will be either AC or RE2, I need to play the two more.

Maybe when I complete more 3H routes I like it more than Sekiro, but so far FROM's game has been my favorite. From what is going to be released the next months, I only can see Link's Awakening topping that, and as it is a remake I'm not that sure tbh.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing screams GOTY for now for me. But I guess it's still to come with Death Stranding. That game looks special. Didn't play Resi 2, Judgment and DQ Builders 2 yet though. I might love these.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
for me, easily Sekiro

can´t even understand the RE2 praise, it was an 20 years old game with a modern and realistic paintjob. it was no new experience at all.
"Paintjob" is extremely reductive and does the team a great disservice. You vastly underestimate the amount of time and work that went into it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
From my personal list so far, the two most "GOTY-worthy" (read: popular consensus) candidates:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Honestly? Astral Chain is really high up there for me but I haven't beaten it yet. So of the games I've beaten it'd be a tie between Three Houses, Shadowbringers, and DMC5. Seeing as I've almost doubled my time playing FFXIV since ShB came out, I voted Shadowbringers.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being a fan of a lot of those games, I don't think there has been any clear GOTY so far. RE2 is probably the closest. I'm not sure anything will stand above the rest unless like Doom: Eternal or Death Stranding are phenomenal.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd go with Outer Wilds. It's just such an amazing experience and it does so many things no other game has done before. It's a niche indie game though so I don't expect to see it topping many GOTY lists.

Elsinore

The game that won my heart this year is a little indie game I kickstarted years ago on a whim and absolutely loved. Time loops! Shakespeare! Meaningful choices! Well rounded characters! Musings on life, love, power, race, destiny, knowledge, and control!

Anyone who love good stories told well should give this a shot.
You just sold me on this. It looks incredible.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't played many 2019 releases... But it's probably going to be Borderlands 3. In a normal, sensible world, it would have been Pokémon SwSh, but I really don't think it will...