• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What game (that has released so far) is the likely GOTY candidate in your opinion?

• Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Votes: 116 7.8%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 439 29.7%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 309 20.9%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 229 15.5%
  • Devil May Cry 5

Votes: 78 5.3%
  • Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne

Votes: 37 2.5%
  • Other (please specify down below!)

Votes: 272 18.4%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
resident-evil-hero-banner-02-ps4-us-03jan19

sekiro-shadows-die-twice-homepage-marquee-desktop-01-ps4-us-21mar19

fd574fa7-0160-44fc-be20-97db950ec5b8.jpg

The Game Awards 2019 was just announced yesterday, returning to the Microsoft Theater in LA on December 12th, and it got me thinking. We're nearing that part of the year again, aren't we? Players and publications around the world coming up with their own little GOTY lists. People getting into arguments with each other over which game deserves to be crowned GOTY and other fun festivities. We still have a few months to go and a few heavy hitters like Death Stranding, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and DOOM Eternal to rear their heads, but we're far enough into the year that we've gotten a decent idea of what games will be sitting on the dozens of GOTY lists scattered across the internet. Last year at this point we had Celeste, Spider-Man, God of War and Monster Hunter: World. Now? Well, the likely games are: Sekiro, REmake2, DMC5, Iceborne, Three Houses and Shadowbringers.

Outta these, which one do you think is the likely GOTY candidate?

Personally, I think it's gotta be REmake2. It's currently tied with Shadowbringers as the best game of the year so far (according to Metacritic anyway), was a critical success and lauded as a faithful re-imagining of a beloved and iconic game. Couldn't ask for anything more, really. I think Three Houses and Shadowbringers will definitely give it a run for its money but I see REmake2 being the likely GOTY candidate for most gaming outlets and players, even if games like Death Stranding and DOOM Eternal release to great fanfare.

What say you, Era?

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
- Control
- Sekiro
- Gears 5
- Astral Chain
- Apex Legends

Fuck the rest.

But I guess Death Stranding wil be GOTY...at least at The Game Awards.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it's Shadowbringers by a huge margin.

But even if I haven't played REmake 2, that feels most likely to win awards so far.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
for me, easily Sekiro

can´t even understand the RE2 praise, it was an 20 years old game with a modern and realistic paintjob. it was no new experience at all.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmmm, I like Sekiro and Re 2 remake the most , but i never considered em GOTY material personally. This year was kinda weak when it comes to my personal preferences .

Zippro

May 20, 2018
RE2's the most likely bet. Sekiro ain't good enough for it, nor is Three Houses. Wouldn't count Iceborne or Shadowbringers. I'd love for Astral Chain to win, but DMCV and RE2 are just better. I don't think anything else coming out this year looks good enough to be better than those two.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Outer Wilds is probably my GOTY right now, but I get it's not going to hit the same way for everyone. DMC 5 is probably my runner-up. Sekiro could probably beat both of them if I actually sat down and played the rest of it; got distracted like 25% of the way in unfortunately but I loved what I had played thus far.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrible list in the poll, sorry.

Control, borderlands 3 and gears 5 ought to be on there?

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
In terms of what most people will vote for, I actually think Three Houses and Death Stranding will have much easier roads. DMCV and RE2 are just a littttttle too niche in terms of genre fanbases and Sekiro is maybe a touch divisive

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's Resident Evil 2. Sekiro's difficulty will be too much of a barrier, Fire Emblem is too anime, DMCV is too underappreciated of a genre. Maybe Gears 5 could have a chance.

I hope that Super Mario Marker 2 gets its due. That one to me is definitely the most fun game this year.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i'm thorn between Gears 5, Sekiro and A Short Hike.

but, there is always the chance that Link's Awakening, one of the best games ever made is a good remake, then it's no contest, really.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Resident Evil 2 is absolutely phenomenal but I don't think I've had as much fun with a game this year as I have with Control. It's fantastic and I love the sheer amount of world building Remedy achieved through its collectables.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro is my GOTY by far, it's a incredible game.

But from the games released I can see RE2 having the most votes.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I see REmake2 being the likely GOTY candidate for most gaming outlets and players, even if games like Death Stranding and DOOM Eternal release to great fanfare.
Why? No one has played Death Stranding or DOOM yet. I wish people would stop churning the GOTY gears so early on. There shouldn't be any full discussions on the topic until December.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 and Outer Wilds for me.

The Outer Wilds is a very special game and if you have Game Pass I implore you to at least give it a try. Its wondrous..

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I think RE2 Remake shouldn`t be considered as a GOTY-candidate because it`s a ...well...remake of an already released game.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's stiff competition between Fire Emblem Three Houses and Astral Chain.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Doom will take it this year. Heavily appeals to the general western media and it looks to be doing mostly everything right.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I dunno, there's something about remakes winning GOTY that rubs me the wrong way so while RE2 is great and Links Awakening will probably also be great, it's Sekiro for me right now

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Of what's listed, Fire Emblem is far and away my personal game of the year, but ain't no way it's a likely overall candidate for the press.

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
Astral Chain or Fire Emblem right now. Still have to consider Death Stranding, Outer Worlds, and Pokemon once they come out.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you actually have FF14 Shadowbringers on there. My pick by far and it's not even close. Lots of other great games, but that expansion and everything before it has been top tier.

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 or A Plague Tale.

Control came down close to beating them both out but the ending was lackluster as hell and dragged it down.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Between Fire Emblem and Sekiro for me

I'd like to play astral chain at some point to see how that is