• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
So often in single player games you're playing as a sole character who is kind of doing things on their own (think Metroid, some of the REs, the Witness, etc.) Something that can really set the mood for this experience is a good soundtrack that amplifies how alone your character must be feeling. What are some of your favorite songs that accomplish this?

Two that really stand out to me are Deference for Darkness from Halo ODST & Safe Haven from RE Remake.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Wings of Kynareth from Oblivion always gave me the biggest "quietly walking through the woods by yourself" vibes. It fits perfectly, since the Elder Scrolls games don't have typical RPG parties, just the solo adventurer.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Oh, and this one. Around the 40s mark my mind just melts. I remember when I first got to that area I just stood there listening to the music, watching the phantoms float off the screen. Beautiful game.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
So this probably doesn't fit exactly, but the ending version of Sanctuary in kingdom hearts 2 does this for me.

I'm not sure if it's cause of the ending, my nostalgia from when it released, or the fact that I had to wait over ten years for the next mainline game.

But got damn if those credits don't make me feel lonely as fuck for no reason

OP
OP
KodiakGTS

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018

That's a good one, I never played FFX. It kind of reminds me of something you'd hear in the original Phantasy Star Online.

Wings of Kynareth from Oblivion always gave me the biggest "quietly walking through the woods by yourself" vibes. It fits perfectly, since the Elder Scrolls games don't have typical RPG parties, just the solo adventurer.

Yeah now that you mention it I kind of forgot about Elder Scrolls in the OP, which is silly, since so much of those games are wandering from place to place. I do agree with you RE Oblivion in particular. I think Morrowind's OST felt more whimsical to me and Skyrim's soundtrack felt more I dunno action-y?

Last edited: