• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Series where there is a "main" series but then lots of other games that are weird and different from the mainline?

For purpose of conversation, Mario is excluded. Mario has everything else beat by a large margin.

My vote goes for the Zelda series. Outside of the main games, you have the four swords games, the Hyrule Warriors games, the Tingle games, Link's crossbow training, triforce heroes, and surely many more I'm forgetting.

What other (non Mario) series has tons of spinoff games? Is it Final Fantasy (probably)?

Share some of your favorite spinoffs as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Dynasty Warriors

Edit:

To expand, the series basically became a genre and most games in the genre comes from Omega Force. Berserk, Zelda, Gundam, One Piece, Persona... There is so many of them and all of them are made by the same developer weirdly enough.

My personal favourite spin off has to be Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. The amount of content in that one game is insane. Gundam and Hyrule are also amazing.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Came here to say Zelda… a lot of weird ones.

Sonic might be up there too– Spinball, Team Racing etc.

Let us not forget Metroid Pinball on the DS too.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby. Pretty easy. You have Block Ball, which is Arkanoid. You have Pinball. You have Kirby Dream Course which is golf. You have Air Ride which is a platforming/racing game. You have fighting games. You have his Rainbow spinoffs where he becomes a ball and you draw around him. Mass Attack. Robobot.

Kirby wins.

Edit: Also Kirby's Avalanche, which is Puyo Puyo, and Tilt 'N' Tumble which is... a gyro game.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us dating sim was awkward. Like seriously stop killing everyone Ellie.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic was my first thought.

Multiple differing racing games, multiple fighting games, RPG, Kinect skating game, Pinball, edutainment, multiple puzzle games

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Pac-Man.

There's Pac-Man-like games such as Mrs. Pac-Man and Pac-Man Jr., there's the side-scrolling Pac-Man Land, there's the weird adventure game Pac-Man 2, there's the 3D Platformers from the PS2 era, there's Pac-Man Rally for the PS2 and the list goes on.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dizzy is a relevant series here for UK members of a certain vintage. You had the main adventure games and a ton of spin-offs, it was effectively the Mario of the 8-bit microcomputer scene here in the late 1980s.

en.m.wikipedia.org

Dizzy (series) - Wikipedia

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic sprang to mind first. The series has done party games, fighting games, racing games, pinball games, puzzle games, RPGs, the list goes on.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like Final Fantasy is worth mentioning at this point, especially if looking at franchises created from FF lore like Chocobo, Crystal Defenders and Kingdom Hearts. Fighting, Final Fight-style brawler, racing, dungeon crawlers, straight up movies, strategy, card battle, rhythm and loads of weird Japan-only phone stuff.

We also have sub-series to for example FF7 which play very differently like Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core which have pretty non-standard systems like being shooters or slot machine sims.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy. Sure, at first they mostly seem like RPGs, but dig a little deeper and you have...

• Chocobo Racing, a kart racer.
  • Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon, a rogue-like
  • Final Fantasy Fables, a card battler
  • Pictlogica, which is just Picross, by Jupiter and everything.
  • Theatrhythm, a rhythm game.
  • Dissidia and Ergheiz (kinda), fighting games.
  • Kingdom Hearts if you wanna count that is pretty friggin' weird if you think about it
  • Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, a free-to-play nightmare city builder... thing
  • My Life as a King, a WiiWare city builder/management sim
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, a bad movie
  • Final Fantasy Unlimited, a very bizarre anime
  • Dad of Light, a Japanese drama about FFXIV
  • A FFXII spin-off flash game where you play as a moogle
  • Crystal Defenders, a tower-defense game
  • Itadaki Street, not necessarily a FF spin-off exclusively but modern games have featured it heavily.
  • A popular and enduring TCG
and almost certainly more I'm forgetting

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy. Sure, at first they mostly seem like RPGs, but dig a little deeper and you have...

• Kingdom Hearts if you wanna count that is pretty friggin' weird if you think about it
  • Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire, a free-to-play nightmare city builder... thing
  • Itadaki Street, not necessarily a FF spin-off exclusively but modern games have featured it heavily.
you could make a good case for Dragon Quest too, since it also checks most of these boxes

Final Fantasy is still waiting on its musou

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
you could make a good case for Dragon Quest too, since it also checks most of these boxes

Final Fantasy is still waiting on its musou

Yeah DQ is basically neck-and-neck. Something to be said about it essentially being the origin point of Mystery Dungeon.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

• A popular and enduring TCG
There was that Monster Hunter wannabe on 3DS, and World of Final Fantasy for the Pokemon crowd. Plus all the gacha games, like the one where they turned Ariana Grande into a Final Fantasy character.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Touhou, probably. The mainline games are bullet hell shmups, but because the developer has a very "whatever" attitude about using his IP, plenty of other indie groups make spinoff games. Including fighting games, platformers, side scrolling shooters, and all sorts of other shit.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
it didnt had much but if you stop to think the fallout series had a mmo-esque spinoff, a tactics spinoff, a diablo clone spinoff and a mobile building game spinoff, it's kinda weird for a so called mature hardcore rpg series

comparing to other series that had as many spinoffs as people working on the usual games it might not seem much but considering each of them was weird in their own way i feel like its worth mentioning

DavidBoring

Oct 27, 2017
YAKDS_PS3_PACKFRONT.jpg

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Megaman has 2 different RPG series with Battle Network and Starforce. Those even have their own spinoffs and side games like Battle Chip Challenge, 4.5 EXE, Network Transmission. Megaman X even had an RPG of its own with Command Mission.

Also has:
A 3d action adventure series with Megaman Legends.
A racing game (Battle and Chase)
An interactive movie game (Super Adventure Rockman)
A soccer game (Megaman Soccer)
A board game ( Wily & Right no RockBoard )
A boss fighting arcade game (Power Battle and Power Fighters)
Whatever the hell Xover is.
A pachislot game.
And a ton of old mobile games in various genres.

qIwAvumXkzeb0juyrBLRxnCXONl9kyzIHxEqf9uf22MTja4XssWxcPRujrHNXU8WnT5ww0MQS5U7kRho9gsMHAqTKrpJIz7JaeSAqiRHbqZmZ3V2eiOsW0jfFQfe

Another series with a weird spinoff is R-Type
220px-R-Type_Command_Coverart.png

Typically a shmup game, this one is actually a turn based strategy game.

Last edited:

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Dynasty Warriors

Edit:

To expand, the series basically became a genre and most games in the genre comes from Omega Force. Berserk, Zelda, Gundam, One Piece, Persona... There is so many of them and all of them are made by the same developer weirdly enough.

My personal favourite spin off has to be Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate. The amount of content in that one game is insane. Gundam and Hyrule are also amazing.
Not to mention that Dynasty Warriors is technically a Romance of the Three Kingdoms spinoff albeit one that has gotten more mainstream than the original strategy games.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
While the gameplay has generally stayed the same, Bomberman has had quite a few variants over the years:

-Crossover with Wario
-Edgy version with Act Zero
-And now the anime girl version with Bombergirl

Plus his guest starring roles in Smash and Lode Runner.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Persona series, which is funny because it is itself a spin-off of another series, Shin Megami Tensei. But off the top of my head we have Persona fighting games, dancing games, OVAs...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While the gameplay has generally stayed the same, Bomberman has had quite a few variants over the years:

-Crossover with Wario
-Edgy version with Act Zero
-And now the anime girl version with Bombergirl

Plus his guest starring roles in Smash and Lode Runner.

The cameo in Lode Runner predated Bomberman, so in a way all of that is Lode Runner spin-offs

I'd also say the N64 games are fairly distinct and weird in their own way

Megaman has 2 different RPG series with Battle Network and Starforce. Those even have their own spinoffs and side games like Battle Chip Challenge, 4.5 EXE, Network Transmission. Megaman X even had an RPG of its own with Command Mission.

Also has:
A 3d action adventure series with Megaman Legends.
A racing game (Battle and Chase)
An interactive movie game (Super Adventure Rockman)
A soccer game (Megaman Soccer)
A board game ( Wily & Right no RockBoard )
A boss fighting arcade game (Power Battle and Power Fighters)
Whatever the hell Xover is.
A pachislot game.
And a ton of old mobile games in various genres.

qIwAvumXkzeb0juyrBLRxnCXONl9kyzIHxEqf9uf22MTja4XssWxcPRujrHNXU8WnT5ww0MQS5U7kRho9gsMHAqTKrpJIz7JaeSAqiRHbqZmZ3V2eiOsW0jfFQfe

This is a good shout, it's easy to forget considering how many of the early spin-offs never let Japan but Mega Man was eeeverywhere. I remember thinking in the 2000's "wow there is way too much Mega Man". And then the 2010's happened, RIP.