• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Original Deus Ex. Started new save files at least 10 times in the span of more than ten years, never went past chapter 5 or something. Guess the problem is the character movement is too stiff for me, comparing to modern games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Persona 5, after liking P3 and adoring P4, everything about P5 after the first dungeon fell completely flat. The characters were largely terrible, most of the villain plots weren't interesting, the designed dungeons made then longer and more boring to traverse, and the game in general felt unfinished... which was confirmed when Royale came out.

P5 is probably the best alpha I've ever played, but top 5 rpg of all time? Not even in the top 100

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
No More Heroes.
Everything for me is 11/10 aside the gameplay, I just think it is seriously bad and clunky. Which makes me mad since I love everything else.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
All Zelda games. Each time I think 'okay! This is the one!' and then I fall off it so hard I break my butt.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter. Hate the combat and how it controls. Same with Yakuza.

Horizon Zero Dawn. Boring boring game but pretty. I finally made myself finish it, but it took a long while. Witcher 3 to a similar extent, and I finally made myself sit down and finish it too. And I loved 2. Some open worlds are too big for the own sake I think.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Souls, The Last of Us, and Ocarina of Time. Can't get into any of them for different reasons. Souls games I just don't have the patience for and I don't find dying over and over fun or rewarding when I finally do it, I just feel like if the game wasn't so annoying I would've gotten it right the first or second time. The Last of Us bored me because it focuses too much on story and too little on gameplay and I didn't care about the story. Ocarina of Time is just outdated and annoying to play nowadays. It's so obtuse and doesn't tell you anything, and the camera and controls are awful

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I reckon I uninstalled, reinstalled and replayed the first 2 chapters of baldurs gate 2 maybe a dozen times. I feel like I should like it but I truly cannot be fucked with it.

I even saw it on mobile and was tempted to get it again. Why???

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Remedy games. Alan Wake, Control, and Quantum Break all seemed like great games taylor made for me, but i end up getting bored and stop playing them.

The only game i've ever truly enjoyed from them was the first Max payne.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Original Deus Ex. Started new save files at least 10 times in the span of more than ten years, never went past chapter 5 or something. Guess the problem is the character movement is too stiff for me, comparing to modern games.

I had this issue until i found a mod lately that solved this. It makes movement more fluid and you can mantle etc. It's called GMDX.

I definitely recommend checking it out. It enables higher resolutions and stuff too.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Nier:Automata

I've tried so many times to play it and the pure garbage combat blows me away.

Honestly if the entire game was a the twin stick shooter i'd had prolly beaten it lol.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Monster Hunter. I've actually purchased nearly all of the mainline MH games (all except for MH4U on the 3DS). I should really like these games, but I lose interest after about 5-10 hours. I think it's a little stiff and janky for me, and I have nobody to play with. I'm sure I'll end up buying Rise at some point and give up on it like all the others.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Xenoblade series, I bought the first one on the Wii but disliked the combat system and didn't go far in the game because of that. Even so, I keep buying the games with the hope that they finally click with me, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Xenoblade II, Torna and Xenoblade Chronicles DE are in my collection now, and I hope to finish at least one of them at some point.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I normally try to finish games I buy even if I'm not feeling it, but I have some exceptions.

Atelier Series normally gets me a bit bored midway, but I usually push through the end (only played Arland Trilogy and Sophie. Meruru was dropped, Sophie I'm still playing every now and then).

Sekiro I stopped a bit after the medieval armor dude (and I did Lady Butterfly first). It was like the 5th time I went back to the game. It's a fun game against bosses, but against normal enemies not so much. And "just run past them" goes into "not fun" too. Also the checkpoint system doesn't go well with my lazyness.

Mario Odyssey made the mistake of having New Donk City make everything that came after it dull and boring. Finished it and didn't bother with the post-game stuff.

Those are some at the top of my head in the "maybe I should have spent that money on something else".

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remedy games. Alan Wake, Control, and Quantum Break all seemed like great games taylor made for me, but i end up getting bored and stop playing them.

The only game i've ever truly enjoyed from them was the first Max payne.

To be honest, of all games posted so far, those ones are actually boring on purpose. They try to work like a thriller movie, but unless you are into it, it fails. The only one that barely managed to grasp me a bit was Alan Wake, and the moment you die and respawn it totally breaks the immersion.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Stardew Valley.

I bought it because of the good reviews and how much everyone here said they loved it. I've picked that game up like 10 times now and I just can't get into it. It's so dull and absolutely boring to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
BoTW. I have tried 10 or so times to get into the game, and I always love the plateau section, but once I jump off within a couple of hours I am just bored and drop it. I want to like it, I really do, but I think at this point it's just a game I am never going to enjoy.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This list grows every year. The big ones:

• I still think Nier: Automata is a slog. The original may be objectively inferior but it somehow kept me engaged and charmed me. Automata never did.

• I hated the act of actually playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and lament how it's an infinitely less fun sequel to one of my favorite games of all time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I go back to a Souls game like once every 2 or 3 years, thinking, "This will be the time I finally sit down with it, put some time into it, and get into it."

And I never do. I play the first few zones then hang it up.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want to like Control so bad. It's all my jam. RPG-esque development. Kinda scary. Super twisty plot. Metroid-vania.

But I find it doesn't click with me.

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2

Same. I've put like a hundred hours into RDR2 but I find almost everything about the game to be tedious, overly long and sometimes really boring. But I can't stop playing it, I need to complete it. I can appreciate the huge map, open world building, and even random NPC interactions, but the game lacks urgency and fluidity.

Last edited:

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Just remembered Oreshika! Oh man the RNG dungeons. Everything else in the game is so cool, my screw getting stuck in a dungeon made specially for you when time is a constraint.

Because I spent money, and I only spend money on stuff I'm looking forward to.
If it's a PS+ game/freebie then I don't need to think much, but it's very rare for me to drop a game I paid for.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Because I spent money, and I only spend money on stuff I'm looking forward to.
If it's a PS+ game/freebie then I don't need to think much, but it's very rare for me to drop a game I paid for.

Fair enough, but doesn't your time also have value?

Wasting limited free time playing through games you decidedly don't enjoy will always seem bizarre to me, akin to the sunken cost fallacy.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's definitely gotta be Monster Hunter for me. It's a game I love ENTIRELY in theory, and I keep trying, but always fall off. Conceptually, tons of the game design is fascinating to me, and so much of it fits in with other things I enjoy.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Zelda BotW. I wanted to enjoy it, because it featured things I always wanted from games, but before the first Divine Beast I was already wanting to drop it. 100h+ after I reached my limit and said "screw it" and just rushed the castle and Ganon.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I make a yearly pilgrimage into EVE Online. I'll play it for like an hour than uninstall.

I want to like it so much, it should be right up my alley.
Get into a newbie corp and the social aspect will become its main draw. It's a slow burner of a game and has a learning curve so steep that it's a cliff but that's the beauty of the game. There is always more to learn.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Crusader Kings 2.

I love the idea of playing Crusader Kings so much but every time I try I'm just left baffled. So I leave it six months and then install it again. I have hours and hours tracked on my Steam account from attempts. Still don't really know what I'm doing.

Same.

I recently got into Hearts of Iron IV and Europa Universalis IV and LOVE them.

But I just can't get into CK. I don't know if it's the mechanics or the fact that it is so small scale, but I can't fall into it the same way I could for the other Paradox games.

Makes me jealous whenever I see those hilarious events from other people's games.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
A little while ago, I went on a tour of old WRPGs... managed to beat Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Planescape, etc... but Fallout 2 is and remains me white whale. Anything older than it is also kind of a no go. I'll keep trying though!

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Fair enough, but doesn't your time also have value?

Wasting limited free time playing through games you decidedly don't enjoy will always seem bizarre to me, akin to the sunken cost fallacy.

Absolutely! But I bet that free time in the chance things click or something, since I did put some thought before the purchase (on Vita I kinda bought things on impulse, but those days are long gone).
Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, and then there's those cases where I know the odds are simply too low and drop it.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Pokemon. I haven't liked anything since red and I've tried a ton of games. I'm forcing myself to play through Y right now.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Every fighting game I've bought in the last 5 years. So SF5, Skullgirls, Them's Fightin' Herds, Fantasy Strike. It turns out that maybe I like the idea of a fighting game much more than the reality of actually having to practice in it.

Nov 2, 2017
Mine would be the Red Dead Redemption games. I'm a very big fan of Westerns (and video games!). I love Outlaws on PC and Red Dead Revolver on the PS2 but just can't get into the Redemption series ... mostly due to my general aversion to open world games. (Although I did play quite a bit of Gun on PS2, something of a precursor to Redemption).

Worth noting that I have only played Redemption 1, I have never tried out 2.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Assassins Creed Odyssey, Origins and Valhala.

Assassins Creed is one of my FAVORITE franchises, but this new one is like "New Coke" or Game of Thrones Season 8. You want to like it because it is what you love, but its oh so hard.

Also that. I love the dark souls games but Sekiro is just ughhh
Same. It's like, if you are going to go Dark Souls go Dark Souls, if you are going to go Action go Action, this in between thing just slows down the flow and makes you feel like shit. It's why I prefer combat more closely to Fallen Order, since its more action and fantasy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
fire emblem. i love how polished they seem to be, but i just don't love the gameplay as much as i want to.

further more, advance wars makes my head hurt and i feel so stupid playing them. it feels like there's too much going on. maybe it'll click ONE of these days ✨

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I don't really try to enjoy games that I don't like. The closest example I can think of is Vagrant Story: the game has a great story and OST, but I just hate its gameplay.

I have struggled to beat some games I don't especially like. For instance, I wanted to beat Secret of Mana, a game I don't care for, and it took me like 20 years to finally complete a playthrough of it.