• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The BEST Kart Racer of all time

• Diddy Kong Racing

Votes: 176 11.7%
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Votes: 811 53.7%
  • Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

Votes: 161 10.7%
  • Crash Team Racing

Votes: 211 14.0%
  • Blur

Votes: 23 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 128 8.5%

• Total voters

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Double Dash!! revved up the franchise to what it is today. My jaw hit the floor a few times even if 8 is the superior game.

Transformed must have been a blind spot as it deserves sales just as high as MK8. A Sega graveyard of dormant IPs, it's a showcase and a ghost of Sega's vintage arcade peaks.

Diddy Kong Racing deserves a remaster if not a sequel. Since a MK9 seems best kept for Switch II, the window of opportunity is definitely there. The original was a bold step forward and it was definitely a photo finish between Rare's racer and the flagship Mario Kart 64.

Oct 29, 2017
MK8 is absolutely the pinnacle of the genre.

I think my only complaint is that every track is equally short. I would've liked to see a few long-ish tracks.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
MKDS

I love the sonic racing ones as well but they aren't as tight. A lot of janky stuff be happening that you cant even explain sometimes. Not sure why people let it pass.
Could you give an example or something? Besides the Wii version of SASASR (what an acronym) I can't seem to recall an instance where the game just did something and I couldn't explain why

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Crash Team Racing's mechanics are second to none, but its 30fps cap holds it back by modern standards.

A 60fps version would be the undisputed king, no discussion.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sonic is my personal favourite, but that's mainly because I haven't played DKR or CTR in years so my memory of how those games feel to play aren't as strong. It didn't help the terrible DS port of DKR soured my feelings on the game, but when the new CTR remake comes out my opinion might change.

Saks for ost

Oct 27, 2017
Oslo
I really love all these games, but if your answer to this question isn't MK8DLX then you are just blinded by nostalgia :)

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could you give an example or something? Besides the Wii version of SASASR (what an acronym) I can't seem to recall an instance where the game just did something and I couldn't explain why
Let me see if I can find something. I never recorded a lot of stuff but I know a friend put something up on youtube from the 1st one.

It happens in both games though, I cant believe people never talk about it. That said, I'm still excited for the new one but it be some janky stuff happening. I find what I'm talking about I'll post it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Transformed > CTR > Mario Kart DS > Diddy Kong Racing.

I don't even consider Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to be in the top half of Mario Kart games.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 deluxe is the better game, but there are few games I enjoyed more than Diddy Kong Racing.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'd agree with those of you saying Diddy Kong if we're talking single player experience. Diddy Kong's SP is the best of any of the kart racers by a mile.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still say snes MK is my fav from that series, DKR probably above that. CTR would be in the running but haven't put much time into it yet.

Mostly a single player perspective though.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Mario Kart 8 has AAA production value paired with probably the best gameplay Mario Kart has ever had.

Impossible to top really,

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
TIL ~90% of people haven't played sonic and all stars racing transformed.
I have and while the single-player, racers, and tracks are great, the physics are in need of tuning. Every time I see water I dread going on it because the boat physics are not good. In terms of features in the game S&ASR:T beats everyone, game has a ton of options with fantastic challenges that Mario Kart needs to steal from. Mario Kart DS is also up there as the best thanks to Mission Mode and emblem creation.

Jan 3, 2019
Modnation is the GOAT
1385797-modnation_career.jpg

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Diddy Kong racing is the bees knees. The campaign mode is hands down the most impressive kart outing to date with so much thought into it's secrets and unlockables(I just completed it again as a grown adult on a real N64 recently). The strategy of choosing what power ups to get or stock adds a great layer compared to the more random one available in the MK series. The soundtrack is also fucking phenomenal and personally my favorite in any kart racer.

I wanted to get my Diddy Kong Racing fanboyism off my chest before saying that I still think MK8D is the better overall package. MK8D just has the most ridiculous amount of good tracks in a kart racer and it's just one of the most rounded out packages in any kart racer(all on top of a fantastic handling model).

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I have and while the single-player, racers, and tracks are great, the physics are in need of tuning. Every time I see water I dread going on it because the boat physics are not good. In terms of features in the game S&ASR:T beats everyone, game has a ton of options with fantastic challenges that Mario Kart needs to steal from. Mario Kart DS is also up there as the best thanks to Mission Mode and emblem creation.

I was being facetious, but I appreciate your genuine reply. I honestly love the water sections in SART, the drifting works perfectly on the water and they always have the boosts set up perfectly. The track design in that game is just so incredible, even setting aside all the glorious fan service.

Replay value is huge for me too and I just seem to be able to come back to SART a limitless number of times. I have it on PS3, PC and Vita and have played each version several times. Dunno what it is, it's just endlessly compelling to me whereas MK8 much less so. I think the variety in the career mode goes a long way towards that.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I was being facetious, but I appreciate your genuine reply. I honestly love the water sections in SART, the drifting works perfectly on the water and they always have the boosts set up perfectly. The track design in that game is just so incredible, even setting aside all the glorious fan service.

Replay value is huge for me too and I just seem to be able to come back to SART a limitless number of times. I have it on PS3, PC and Vita and have played each version several times. Dunno what it is, it's just endlessly compelling to me whereas MK8 much less so. I think the variety in the career mode goes a long way towards that.
Sorry sarcasm meter is broken. I'll have to go back to SART since I haven't played it since the Wii U, but I do remember the tracks bring a lot more memorable than Mario Kart aside from a few standouts (Mt. Wario for instance) due to the constant changing of it thanks to the air/sea/land mechanics.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
1.) MK8
2.) SASASRT
3.) CTR

Special shout out to Jak X which is WAY better than it has any right to be.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pretty much my top 3 in the OP, though Transformed just barely edges out MK8 for me. Mario Kart DS and the first Sega Kart crossover round out my top 5.