• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Rockstar's pedestrians are best in class which are pretty important for cities like Night City in Cyberpunk 2077.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
FEAR
Ai sadly hasn't been a selling point for a while so devs don't really try as hard as they use to, closet is naughty dog but that TLOU2 demo wasn't entirely truthful.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
AI is really hard problem, especially if needs or information propagation is taken into account. (Going outside the usual gun fodder.)

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Maybe not the best in absolute terms but as far as what they're intended to do, TLOU2's AI is very well executed

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo and Fear. They aren't the smartest, but they are cleverly disguised and fun to engage with. The way you can manipulate the battlefield in Halo still give it a really unique feel over other shooters.

At least where the covenant is concerned.

Woiwode

Banned
Sep 18, 2019
Batman Arkham Knight has some really cool ai moments during the stealth encounters. They call out to each other where they spot you like "first floor" "next to the generator" etc. And avoid or destroy locations that you use to attack them like blowing up walls and destroying air ducts.
And the overall behaviour when they get scared like building 2 man squads and walk back to back and start randomly shooting at sounds they hear.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU 2 is really good. Alien Isolation as well!

FEAR is a little bit of a magic trick, the AI is good of course, but it's flavoured with many cheeky cheats that make it look even more real, like soldier conversations and panic states. TLOU 2 does similar things haha

A good video on it:

Last edited:

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Alien Isolation is entirely built on the Alien A.I., so that. There a lot of good videos that explain what are the routines and the subroutines implemented. Really really cool stuff.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Stuff like Stockfish for Chess or Alpha Go for Go in terms of AI that can consistently outplay top-ranked players.

But in terms of AI I had the most fun with that still posed a decent challenge, I would say FEAR and Halo (unsure which entry in the Halo series I like the best though).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Played Halo CE co-op recently and not much about the AI stood out. Especially when they're controlling vehicles they seem really stupid.
FEAR was the first game that was really impressive with the way enemies moved but that was so long ago, so surely something has done that better by now?

Why does "AI" seem to default to "shooter enemies" for people?

When you post this kind of comment you're supposed to have your own example at least. Those games in real time will showcase enemies navigating 3d terrain and challenge the player in the most self evident fashion so of course its one of the easier genres to discern when the AI is poor or better than usual.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
rdr 2's world simulation is incredible, the animal AI for example is just really impressive with how accurately animal behaviour is done per species. The actual shootbang ai is nothing special, but its fine.

in terms of best combat ai, i guess tlou 2 is up there along with fear (and ppl say that its just "trickery" - like....yeah?.. no shit)

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
In terms of random population I'd say Rockstar. Playing Cyberpunk after RDR2, difference is night and day with the levels of interaction and how RDR2's AI reacts to you.

With enemies, I'd say TLOU2. I'm playing Grounded atm and maybe it's a Grounded thing but the AI seem to have a sense of preservation others sometimes don't, like when I bumped into an enemy and instead of shooting like you'd expect she side-stepped super quick into cover and shouted for help, then tried to sprint around and flank me. Was pretty cool.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
The Last Guardian - the most realistic animal AI in gaming bar none

ThickFinishedBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Monopoly video games. I only play on certain platform (PS2, GB/A, NDS, PC), so I can't say it's equal to every version.

However, the AIs/CPUs in the game seem pretty smart in terms of making the deal with real players at certain point of the game; they know how and what to accept or reject with the trading, and use strategy to buy the houses/hotels at the right time.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
F.E.A.R., Alien Isolation, Rain World and The Last Of Us Part 2 stick out. TLOU2 is pretty much the only game I've played that really lives up to the unrelenting and resourceful AI from F.E.A.R.