• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What has ended the most relationships?

• Risk

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Monopoly

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Being stuck inside we've been playing board games. Three straight nights of Monopoly and then tonight we're playing Risk. Tensions are high.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've never actually finished a game of monopoly. Just played until everyone got frustrated and bored enough to quit.

So I say that one.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Monopoly shouldn't be ending friendships if you're playing by the real rules, not "flood the economy and ruin the flow of the game to make it a slog" house rules.

(that, and people making bad deals to spite others not even winning)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Back in 2006, I was playing Monopoly with a group of coworkers. One of them had lost his bicycle and he bankrupted me. I told him that I hoped he never got his bike back. Everyone was stunned.

then we laughed and they continued the game

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Secret Hitler will give ya trust issues (until you end up on the same team several rounds later and take the W as fascists)

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
You need to play better games than monopoly and risk. Try Acquire, or Pandemic, or Carcassonne, or Catan. Anything but monopoly and risk.

Zoator

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Risk. If you lose in Monopoly it mostly comes down to rolling the dice and dumb luck. It's more of a passive death. If you lose in Risk, someone else deliberately and methodically annihilated you until you lost every last territory. It's usually a slow, painful death that breeds increasing resentment throughout the entirety of the game.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Monopoly, all the house rules make the game last forever and create frustration because they make no sense with the games focus.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Monopoly is the worst, I just played a 4 hour game with my parents and my girlfriend. Why was it 4 ours long? Because my girlfriend had 1 property of each color (minus one) and she refused to trade any of those. If you are getting 200 per go-around you are not losing and the game is forever stuck. I had to trade with my mom and then with my dad (2 bad trades btw) so that she realized she was going to be the only one without a color pack and started trading as well. She ended up winning because my dad was extra unlucky, had 3 train stations since half hour of game and NOONE STOPPED ON ANY OF THOSE THE ENTIRE GAME. lol

Risk also sucks to play with my gf because she is always more worried about losing than excited to win so it means you are in for a long boring match.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
11th grade year, some dude at my school organized a few nights of RISK that kind of exploded and before you knew it large groups of the highschool were organizing play sessions. I had never played RISK before until then, and I didn't even know the dude originally who organized it all. So I basically made friends through risk.

By comparison, if someone suggests monopoly to play, I question why I would want to be friends with someone so dull.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monopoly no contest. Ngl I have seen it make people unimaginably greedy and bring out true evil, just to spite others.

Oct 26, 2017
I challenge anyone to come up with a game that ends more friendships than:

pic1533071.jpg

I don't think we went a single night of playing without someone getting pissed off and walking home in the middle of it.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Funny story. In college I had a group of friends playing through Risk Legacy. On our fourth game we had unlocked certain changes to the map that allowed Oceania to be connected to Madagascar, via a new island. As it turns out one of the mission cards I got was worth 2 stars and there was a star next to my starting location (Oceania) and we start the game with one star. In this version of Risk if you get 4 stars you win. After spending 40 mins remembering the rules and setting up I found myself with a card that said I had to be in control of 5 islands to win the game(2 star card). So on my first turn I took the island connecting to Madagascar and Madagascar, bringing my total to 4 (Oceania+Japan from setup). I had put all of my troops on this advance , everything I had, and I made a massive offensive from Magascar to England, winning by a single point on the dice roll for England. The game was over on the first turn. People were beyond furious and the board was flipped, hehehe. We never ended up finishing the campaign.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Monopoly,

My friends/family don't understand how to play Risk and my attempts to explain it step by step just ends with them saying "Lets just play monopoly instead."

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For board games? Diplomacy, because it practically requires you to be a bastard to play.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Monopoly shouldn't be ending friendships if you're playing by the real rules, not "flood the economy and ruin the flow of the game to make it a slog" house rules.

(that, and people making bad deals to spite others not even winning)

Monopoly since so many people insist on playing it incorrectly

But the game is just so long and boring. I'll admit I'm one of these people because I just want the damn game to end.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
But the game is just so long and boring. I'll admit I'm one of these people because I just want the damn game to end.
Playing with House Rules (specifically, Free Parking giving you money) *makes* the game take longer though. Monopoly isn't supposed to have a recurring economy, it's a game about bleeding the other players dry.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny story. In college I had a group of friends playing through Risk Legacy. On our fourth game we had unlocked certain changes to the map that allowed Oceania to be connected to Madagascar, via a new island. As it turns out one of the mission cards I got was worth 2 stars and there was a star next to my starting location (Oceania) and we start the game with one star. In this version of Risk if you get 4 stars you win. After spending 40 mins remembering the rules and setting up I found myself with a card that said I had to be in control of 5 islands to win the game(2 star card). So on my first turn I took the island connecting to Madagascar and Madagascar, bringing my total to 4 (Oceania+Japan from setup). I had put all of my troops on this advance , everything I had, and I made a massive offensive from Magascar to England, winning by a single point on the dice roll for England. The game was over on the first turn. People were beyond furious and the board was flipped, hehehe. We never ended up finishing the campaign.

lmfao this is awesome