• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My backlog is insurmountable at this point. I've made peace with the fact that I'll never play most games in it, much less finish them. Out of sheer boredom, I decided to randomly install ENIGMA: -- I don't even remember when I bought this game (that's how my backlog generally grows...).

I was expecting to tinker for an hour or 2, get bored, and drop it. But lo and behold: 1 week and 15 hours later, I was sad to put it down. Let me be clear that this visual novel is not transformative or exhilarating or exciting, but damned it resonated with me a lot. It's melancholic, it's comfortable, and it eschews almost all of the modern crappy anime/manga tropes. The main character isn't the chosen one. His fate is inevitable and no amount of heroics is going to change it.

What games did you unexpectedly end up enjoying from your background?

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't expect it enjoy Popolocrois A Story of Seasons Fairytale, ad much as I did. It is a very charming fantasy game that's very wholesome. The characters were nice and very memorable.
I even got into the anime a bit. I beat that game in December...started Fire Emblem Awakening...and I still haven't finished it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
There was this random action RPG from PS+ named Blood Knights. I installed it on a Friday and then finished it in one sitting (around 5 hours). It wasn't a good game but I guess it was exactly what I was looking for at that moment. Some run of the mill fantasy action game for some quick fun.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Etrian Odyssey IV. I played a little of the first EO game on he DS and bounced off it hard. I randomly bought EOIV one day when it was on sale and didn't play it until one day I was bored. I fell in love with it, and the whole series.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I was home most of last week with the flu, so I decided to finally get around to play through Transformers: Devastation. I kept the game on easy and played through it over two evenings. Decent game, though the level design was bland and gameplay was a bit repetitive. Easy mode was the way to go for a fun casual diversion from being sick.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
My backlog is insurmountable at this point. I've made peace with the fact that I'll never play most games in it, much less finish them. Out of sheer boredom, I decided to randomly install ENIGMA: -- I don't even remember when I bought this game (that's how my backlog generally grows...).

I was expecting to tinker for an hour or 2, get bored, and drop it. But lo and behold: 1 week and 15 hours later, I was sad to put it down. Let me be clear that this visual novel is not transformative or exhilarating or exciting, but damned it resonated with me a lot. It's melancholic, it's comfortable, and it eschews almost all of the modern crappy anime/manga tropes. The main character isn't the chosen one. His fate is inevitable and no amount of heroics is going to change it.

What games did you unexpectedly end up enjoying from your background?
Enjoying AC origins much more than i thought i would i liked Daemon X machina far less than i thought i would though.

karim

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Me. Got it years ago free on ps plus and stopped after getting stuck about a third of the way in. Came back to it years later, the combat clicked for me and I ended up loving the game. The setting, art direction, and characters really pulled me in. Glad I gave it another chance, would love to see it in 4K.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
I got Stories: The Path of Destinies in some bundle who knows how long ago. The only thing I knew about it was that it had combat and a story (wow), which I figured would be at least passable. Turns out it's Stories, plural, for a reason. I'm a sucker for games with endings in the double digits, and the combat was cozy enough for me to temporarily drop everything else and get the true ending. The entire thing being narrated helped a lot with the charm too. Now I wanna get Omensight!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a weird one cause technically its still a very "active" game but I finally have started to pick up and play Street Fighter V again and its pretty dope. I even bought my first arcade stick.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My backlog is largely games that I expect I'll enjoy. I guess recently I played the first four acts of Kentucky Route Zero last fall and thought it was one of the best experiences in gaming. It was a game that just hit exactly on the tone, themes and style that really resonate with me.

Also enjoyed 428 and Dangonronpa more than expected. I find I under-anticipate VNs.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just finally started Astro Bot today! I got it with my VR two years ago and just never got around to it. It is as good as people say, and it's making me fall in love with VR.

I think I enjoy most of the games in my backlog. I'm pretty sure I know I'll like a game when I buy it. The common exceptions tend to be old PC games that are well loved that I didn't play when they released. Bounded hard off Planescape Torment, for example.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
somehow had time to play salt and sanctuary last summer. I had tried it when it was new and didn't care for it, but it's gameplay and look really got me this time around. I thought 2d "souls" couldnt quite work, but I figured it out and it felt pretty solid. Actually probably learned something in the process about souls... I really wanna try blasphemous but probably never will lol

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am generally more into the metroidvania entries over classicvania, but I beat Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and adored it.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Two in the same genre actually. Dust: An Elysian Tale and Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight are two really solid Metroidvania games. Dust has some character issues (the companion character is just awful) but the gameplay is so damn solid that I didn't mind. Momodora, on the other hand, has no major flaws IMO and I loved every second

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Root Letter: Last Answer - mystery visual novel game where you can swap between colour manga art style and live action. I mulled over it but decided on live action which was the right choice I think. Having a good time with it, almost finished it now. Has some point and click and interrogation battles which are nicely over the top.

Call of Cthulhu - surprisingly good first person adventure game that throws you into plenty of horror settings like a mansion, fishing port town, museum, underground cult headquarters, demented hospitals. The works really. If you're in the mood for an atmospheric horror adventure game (no combat really, just investigations and a little bit of stealth, which aren't bad either thankfully) then definitely a recommendation for when it's on sale. Will be interesting to see how Sinking City (another HP Lovecraft game) compares.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Two in the same genre actually. Dust: An Elysian Tale and Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight are two really solid Metroidvania games. Dust has some character issues (the companion character is just awful) but the gameplay is so damn solid that I didn't mind. Momodora, on the other hand, has no major flaws IMO and I loved every second
You didn't enjoy the flying tit-weasel?

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Condemned: Criminal Origins. I started it back in 2007, then finished it in 2016 or 2017. It was such a good game. Playing a linear, story driven game after the open world fatigue was nice. The story was decent enough, but what I really liked was the combat and the atmosphere. I still need to play Condemned 2.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Silent Hill 2. I've had a forgotten copy of it laying around for 10+ years, recently rediscovered it, ran it through PCSX2. And yeah, I can totally see why so many people put this game on a pedestal.

Took me some time to get re-adjusted to the tank control, but other than that, it plays fine. I've done too many horror games to really be scared by them anymore, and neither did this. but it does successfully create a relentlessly unsettling atmosphere. This is in large thanks due to the phenominal sound design, but also its more mature themes, which feel a significant step up from your average horror fare. Voice acting is kind of wonky, but it imo does kind of add to the overall creep factor. Disregarding I ran it with settings far beyond what a real PS2 can do, the visuals hold up pretty well too.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Just played Kingdom Hearts 2 for the first time ever, after having played the original when it came out back in the day and buying KH 2 like 4 times since then and never playing it. Such a great game, enhanced everything about the original and took it further and made it better.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed Bastion and loved Transistor. I tried Pyre and was kinda disappointed that it was essentially a sports game, so fell off pretty quick.

But years later, I thought I should give it a shot because other than the mechanics I really loved the art and music. Turned out I had a great time with it the whole way through. Just needed to be in the right state of mind I guess.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
AC: Odyssey, I'll probably make a ltpp but I've purposely avoided playing it for so long (even though I played every AC game before it) because of everyone saying how big it is, and coming out of Origins, while being a good game I though it lost too much of the AC identify and felt more like just an RPG, also Odyssey features naval sections which I honestly couldn't care less about. But, I finally sat down to play it and I finished the main story and I'm slowly working through the dlc, have about 50h put into the game, it's a really good action rpg, but it's really far from what AC used to be. Before anyone says that previous AC entries were generic and repetitive, yes, that's true, but for some reason the way the previous games were set up really made my boat float, Origins and Odyssey feel a bit too grindy.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Shadow Warrior. I remember getting it for free in some promotion. It was, unexpectedly, one of the most satisfying and fulfilling shooter experiences I've ever had.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
Currently enjoying Ghost Trick on Nintendo DS. Had it for 10 years but never ended up finishing it. It will probably be the last DS game I play and seems to be a great game to finish the console with.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if I didn't expect to like things, I probably wouldn't play them, so I guess with me it's more of the scale of how much I liked it.

Right now, then, I'm going to have to suggest Wandersong. It's just so unremittingly lovely. Immensely likeable characters, fun dialogue, adequate puzzles, gorgeous tiny touches, and so very, very relatable. Pure charm.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
After multiple start/stops over the years, I really got into Xenoblade Chronicles last year. Absolutely loved it. And I swear a couple weeks after I finished it on n3DS, the DE got announced for Switch. LOL

Most recently the same thing happened with Skyrim. Sat in my PC backlog for nearly a decade. Bought the Switch version on sale last year, started playing it about a week ago, and now I'm completely hooked. The quests have been varied, long, and fun... the music is absolutely top-notch!

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
AC Odyssey. I bought it at launch, but quickly became overwhelmed by the amount of content in the game, so I gave up on it. A couple weeks ago I decided to go back, and I'm glad I did. Started from scratch and went on to get the Platinum. I enjoyed it enough so that I feel like I want more. I have the DLC, which I might go back to, but I'm also considering going for the Origins platinum.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just playing Bayonetta now on X1X BC. It's pretty sweet!

I don't even remember buying it and don't know when/why I would have, character action isn't normally my style. I just noticed it on my Ready to Install list. Was it GWG at some point?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The most important one to me is NieR: Automata. I gave it a shot in 2017 and only got the end of the desert part at the beginning (like 2-3 hours in). Nothing really compelled me to give it another shot until the new 24-player Raid series in Final Fantasy XIV was revealed to be themed around NieR. So a few weeks before that new raid arrived, I smashed through all endings of Automata in a single weekend and have been kicking myself for dropping it that first time ever since. It's a masterpiece.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a game wherein I had played the demo and planned to play the full game but never got around to it until a couple years ago. Obviously I agree with the consensus: it's awesome.

Now trying to decide which version of XCOM to play next; Enemy Within, or The Longest Road, or XCOM2, or XCOM2's expansion with whatever mods exist.

Paralyzed by choice!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Happened with Iconoclasts. Had been meaning to play it, sat down and played it, then blasted through it in about a week of off an on play. It's pretty well balanced with regards to everything.

Recently: Infamous Second Son. I started playing it a couple of weeks ago and was reminded of why I enjoyed the first 2 games. I need to get back to complete it, but my life has been a bit of turmoil lately.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
As M-TRNL said, Stories: path of destinies was surprisingly enjoyable. Combat was simple yet fun, characters had charm, and the stories themselves were interesting. Binge-platinumed it on a weekend!

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just recently got around to playing Jedi Fallen order.

Held off because I thought it would be too diffricult for me, but it's actually challenging enough while still fun. Enjoying the game thoroughly.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I bought Dead Cells for Switch last May during a sale because I'd heard good things, but then I promptly forgot about it. I finally loaded it up around Christmas and I really love it.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Binary Domain.

I got it in one of those Make War, Not Love promotions SEGA has done in the past and decided to give it a go. And what a great game that was! Really fun cover-based third-person shooter from the same devs of the Yakuza games. I wouldn't mind a sequel to that.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
ss_339ac32a3197a2eea3ba68e44dcbb40fe1195bd9.1920x1080.jpg

Interesting timing on this thread as I dropped around a dozen hours into UnReal World over the weekend. I've dabbled with it here and there since it landed on Steam back in 2016, but this is the first time I've dug into it proper. Good gravy does it impress.

The elevator pitch is that it's a hardcore survival sim set in iron-age Finland. Complimented with authentic folklore of the period.

The interesting hook is that it first launched back in in 1992 and has been in active development since. The Finnish duo Sami Maaranen & Erkka Lehmus have been at it for close to 30 years now. I guess they're in the Guinness World Records not only for the longest a single title has seen active development, but also they're quoted as making the very first open-world survival game. Crazy.

What I find most attractive about it is the fine level of detail devoted to almost any activity in the game. The level of of minutia that throttles the pacing and gives a genuine appreciation for all the real work that goes into living off the land. Survival activities that might take only a couple/few steps in other games (Minecraft, The Long Dark) have a longer production chain in URW. Felling a tree to start a fire, for example also involves stripping branches, spruce twigs & bark for kindling, cutting the primary log into blocks, the blocks into firewood. It slows down the pace that some may be accustomed to in genre peers but at the same time offers a greater sense of ownership to the character, setting & gameplay loop.

This level of detail can be found throughout the various game systems, from clothing/outfitting, tracking & hunting game, condition management, crafting tools & weapons, building shelters & cabins, etc. etc. There's a lot of gears running under the hood, all feeding into and complimenting one another. I'm reminded of other hyper-detailed sims like Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld and what I find most attractive about them. Only here it's dealing in real-world history and plausible survival skills which can lead to a greater sense of authenticity.

And much like the titles mentioned there's a satisfaction that comes from acclimating to the generous learning curve. It's thankfully mitigated by a thorough 2-part, goal oriented tutorial.

Presentation is expectedly low-fi and folk-art charming. Mixing sprite work with photography. It's an odd combo that winds up feeling inviting & quirky, like you're playing something off the beaten path. It all winds up feeling quite refreshing in contrast to the hyper-realism commonly found in big-budget fare.

The entire production reminds me of that unique feeling of discovering and appreciating a band that few talk about. Like you have this secret discovery in your pocket. It may not be for some most but man does it fire my imagination.

You can find the game on Steam but there's also a FREE up to date, complete build available on the official website for those who might be curious.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Funnily, The Last of Us. Got it at the same time as a PS4, but since it's long and I got other stuff it sort of fell on the side.
Months later, I gave it my full attention and boy did it deliver!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
AC Odyssey. I'm largely over and burned out on open worlds. It sat in my backlog a year before I finally decided to play it enough to justify the purchase. Exceeded my expectations greatly. Enjoyed the hell out of the repetitive game loop....until I got my fill and put it back in the backlog after a good 30 hours of play time.

Same with Destiny 2. Considered it one of my worst purchases of the gen but finally gave it a go when it went free to play and my friends list blew up with Destiny players. Found out it is a great game to play with friends. When they got bored of it, I found out it's also not a game to play alone. It's back in the backlog.

The one that surprised me the most was Xcom 2. Just struggled to get going in the game and kept putting it back in the backlog. Finally forced myself to learn it and the game became easily one of my top 10 games of this gen and turned me back to the genre for the first time in 2 decades.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Wolfenstein: The New Order. First played it shortly before TNC came out. Was expecting a solid game and everything, but what I got was one of my favourite shooters of all time.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest.

I literally didn't play this game until last summer because I just never felt like starting it. It's not the usual kind of game I enjoy and I got it on sale so I just kept putting it off.

But once I started I couldn't put it down, it was fantastic. The game is beautiful and challenging but only unfair feeling a handful of times. I didn't 100% the game but I came very close and even considered it for a bit. I highly recommend you give it a g if you are on the fence about it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
watchdogs_2: i bought it on sale two years ago and didnt get to it until last month. I ended up really loving it, its a massive improvement over the first. The hacking abilities are a lot of fun and the ligher toned story and characters are fantastic. It has a great sociopolitical message that doesn't feel like you are being lectured.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Killer 7 for sure. I was on the fence about it in general. An on rails shooter where all you do is aim at monster's weak points didn't really sound that appealing to me but man I was so wrong and there's far more depth to the game than I was expecting. It was made by the Legend Suda51 so that was go me to eventually get to it and boy does it show. I was taken completely off guard. I also didn't know that Shinji Mikami was involved too after playing and man I would've played it even sooner. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the game that much, but man It oozed with so much personality and identity and I loved it to the point that I was kinda sad that I didn't play it sooner. I think that's the epitome of a great backlog game.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
It took me far too long to get to Ori and the Blind Forest but I finished it in January and it was brilliant. Had a fantastic time with it and I'm very excited for the sequel.

Aug 10, 2019
The Witcher 3 was in.l my backlog from the day it came out until last August. When I finally took the plunge I immediately understood the gripes with the combat but as the game unfolded I understood why so many people dismiss those complaints. What a great game, but I wish I had played it 4 years ago, before I'd played Breath of the Wild and Red Dead 2.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
After multiple start/stops over the years, I really got into Xenoblade Chronicles last year. Absolutely loved it. And I swear a couple weeks after I finished it on n3DS, the DE got announced for Switch. LOL

Most recently the same thing happened with Skyrim. Sat in my PC backlog for nearly a decade. Bought the Switch version on sale last year, started playing it about a week ago, and now I'm completely hooked. The quests have been varied, long, and fun... the music is absolutely top-notch!

Skyrim on Switch did the same thing for me. Having a total blast slowly playing through it in small chunks while I commute, and occasionally firing it up on the big screen at home.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
I bought SMT IV for 3DS a super long time ago. I think there was some sort of deal for buying SMT and Fire Emlbem together? Anyways I never touched the game until late last year.

It was a bit hard to get into, but once I got to the twist I was hooked. I should really get Apocalypse but don't really feel like buying any 3DS games in 2020. Maybe I'll watch a LP or something.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Hotel Dusk on the DS.

Finished it this weekend. Charming characters and music. The localization was pretty good. One of the locations in the hotel impressed me.

Relatively short for a visual novel/point and click type thing.

Imported the sequel. Never released in the States.