• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the recent thread on Japan's picks for the top Tales of Games, I reflected on the games I played throughout the series. I realized I barely remember the majority of character in most of the games. There's some games I definitely remember more than others (I can remember the cast of Symphonia and Xillia a little better, but there were also two each of those games), but there's entire casts of games in the franchise where I can vaguely remember the protagonist's name and that it. These aren't games I just picked up and played either, in most cases I spent 40+ hours with the characters in the game and finished their storylines.

I don't know why. There's certainly JRPG franchises that I've played that have considerably less character interaction than the Tales series, yet I remember those casts significantly more. I can name you all the characters and their stories from DQVIII, Xenoblade Chronicles, or the Persona games and yet I'd argue that some of those games feature less direct interaction with the secondary cast.

This could just be a thing I have with this franchise, but it made me wonder: what franchises do you all struggle to remember the casts of? Or rather, what franchises do you think have forgettable casts of characters?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure anyone would struggle to describe the personalities of any of the protagonists in the first two Golden Sun games (besides nice I guess?)

also play tales of berseria TODAY for an unforgettable cast that's oozing with personality

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Much as I love the Suikoden series, you really not going to remember 3/4 of the party members as a lot of them are forgettable chef and npcs who hang out in the castle and never enter combat. Not everyone can be Viktor or Luc.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the tales games only have 1-3 memorable characters with everyone else being pure fluff

I'd say star ocean but I don't remember most of it, probably because I was really young when I played it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played the first game, but Suikoden by design honestly

This is also most certainly a me problem, but if you put a gun to my head and told me to name like 5 Elder Scrolls characters, I would be fucked

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
That's a tricky question because if they are forgettable is going to be hard to remember the games...

But Detective Pikachu should be somewhere on the list.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure anyone would struggle to describe the personalities of any of the protagonists in the first two Golden Sun games (besides nice I guess?)

also play tales of berseria TODAY for an unforgettable cast that's oozing with personality
That's the most recent one I've played, and I'd agree some of the characters are more memorable. Velvet for sure, and I generally remember the secondary cast and their motives: little boy whose a vessel, witch girl, the former church girl, guy with the coin. But even that should show you how I can't remember their names. That's still better than my recollection of the characters in Graces, Zesteria.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See that's one where I can name most of the characters despite not having played many of them in over a decade. My brain is filled with useless information about Snow from XIII or Rosa from IV.
I can recognize characters like Tidus and Noctis, but darn if I can remember anyone else.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Tomb Raider x3, as in not a single game in the trilogy had a even just one character (Lara herself included) land

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
The Evil Within can get in there as well, Sebastian was only slightly better in 2, everyone else fell flat on both games

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I adore Dragon's Dogma, one of my all time favorites. Can't remember a single character from the game.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I absolutely love Ys games, but each game kind of being its own thing means you will not remember most of the cast from any of the individual games. It is a problem with the team based games because I end up not caring about most of them and stick with the ones that have the most fun moves.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love Ys games, but each game kind of being its own thing means you will not remember most of the cast from any of the individual games. It is a problem with the team based games because I end up not caring about most of them and stick with the ones that have the most fun moves.
Yep, I'm there with you on Ys. I can name 2 (Dana and Adol) characters from VIII despite having played that game only about a year ago.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Seconding Golden Sun. I love the games, and could name each of the characters and their role in the plot, but I could barely tell you anything about them as people. It's not even a problem of "generic anime personalities", because a fair few of the characters don't even clear that threshold.

I'll offer up Pokémon Colosseum as well, both the original and the sequel. There's Miror B, and that's about the extent of the memorable characters. The fact that everyone has such bizarre names can't help with regards to recognition either.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Most AC games, some of the recent ones are a little better.

really disagree - i thought that altair, ezio, edward, & jacob & evie were a lot more interesting main characters than the recent crop (both bayak & kassandra struck me as both weirdly overly wholesome & incredibly bland)...

my own choice? as much as i love the series, the entire infamous cast (aside from fetch). sucker punch upped their game, protagonist-wise, with ghost of tsushime, which was great to see. hopefully, they've finally got a handle on what makes a good protagonist at this point...

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon games in general. I remember characters by their job rather than their names or personalities.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
chrono cross had the same character bloat problem from suikoden but at least i can remember a handful of suikoden characters - all i remember from chrono cross is that theres a girl named Kid and an annoying pink dog

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
It's kind of fascinating how memorable Pokemon are but not humans/NPCs. I guess character/creature design goes a long way in making something memorable.

My vote would be Ys games. They're typical gibberish names that mean nothing (I think?)

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Final fantasy games not named 6,7,8 or 9.

I think its pretty hard to forget the cast of V if you played it, specially because you go through the whole game with just it

The games being less popular doesnt equate to them being forgettable to those who actually tried them

Even XIII, as much as i hate it, its because i remember the characters too damn well

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I disagree. 6 of arguably the most beloved hand in the series, but it has such a big cat of forgettable non-contributors. Strago, for example, is not more memorable than, say Gladiolus or Kain.

Agreed. I can remember the cast of FFX off the top of my head—Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Kimahri, Lulu, Rikku, Wakka. I think that's it? The strange names of FFXII also stuck with me, Vaan, Penelo, Balthier, Fran etc. And FFXV's cast is super easy to remember.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I can remember the cast of FFX off the top of my head—Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Kimahri, Lulu, Rikku, Wakka. I think that's it? The strange names of FFXII also stuck with me, Vaan, Penelo, Balthier, Fran etc. And FFXV's cast is super easy to remember.
Yeah, plus others like Jecht, Seymour, Brother, and Braska.

Meanwhile, how many side characters other than Kefka and maybe Leo can anyone name from 6? There's Gesthal (or more likely "The Emperor" to most people), and then? What's Locke's dead girlfriend's name? Hell if I remember.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile, how many side characters other than Kefka and maybe Leo can anyone name from 6? There's Gesthal (or more likely "The Emperor" to most people), and then?

I knew him as "dude who looked like a dog"

Anyone who says FF6 had the tighest party group forgets that stuff like Mog, Gogo and Umaro were also part of the playable cast and i wouldnt blame them

Not the biggest fan of Relm - Gau - Strago either, they're just splitted up worse versions of job combinations from V

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Yeah, plus others like Jecht, Seymour, Brother, and Braska.

Meanwhile, how many side characters other than Kefka and maybe Leo can anyone name from 6? There's Gesthal (or more likely "The Emperor" to most people), and then? What's Locke's dead girlfriend's name? Hell if I remember.

Forever Rachel is one of the best songs in Final Fantasy history. The entire story for Rachel is one of my earliest memories of crying from a video game. I can't even begin to comprehend thinking of anyone from FF6 as "forgettable."

Almost every response given so far has just been baffling.

Aug 13, 2019
Kingdoms of Amalur. I like this game but... I can't name any characters and I can only really remember the drunk and the cookie-cutter rogue. Don't even remember their names and I started playing the game again this year.

Assassin's Creed games as well. If they're lucky you'll remember the assassin's name. Side characters and villains will be forgotten quickly.

Xclusion

Nov 8, 2017
really disagree - i thought that altair, ezio, edward, & jacob & evie were a lot more interesting main characters than the recent crop (both bayak & kassandra struck me as both weirdly overly wholesome & incredibly bland)...

my own choice? as much as i love the series, the entire infamous cast (aside from fetch). sucker punch upped their game, protagonist-wise, with ghost of tsushime, which was great to see. hopefully, they've finally got a handle on what makes a good protagonist at this point...

Sure the main characters are more memorable but what about the supporting cast? I can barely remember the names of any other character in the AC series.