• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only technically, but the actual god he was inspired by is not pronounced that way. What do you want to bet that Ed Boon just kept pronouncing it incorrectly to the point in which it stuck?

Mortal Kombat is also the franchise that spells everything with a K and used Shiva as inspiration for "Sheeva". I think you're looking too much into it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is also the franchise that spells everything with a K and used Shiva as inspiration for "Sheeva". I think you're looking too much into it.

No, I was being serious. It seems like they just decided that after having mispronounced it for so long to just go with it, and since you brought up Sheeva, they decided to just keep going.

Ree-You is wrong also. Ree-U is closer, but its still not quite right.

But I say Rye-You because for near a decade Capcom did nothing to correct it so whatever.

What do you mean? The game has been pronouncing it the same way since at least '94. And what is the difference between "You" and "U"? The actual Japanese pronunciation is neither "Ree-U" nor "Rye-You" anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
This idea that Americans have never heard of the name Lara and so call her Laura just because it's a name that's a bit close to it is so stupid.

I'd never heard of the name 'Elon' before Elon Musk. I don't just call him Alan instead, do I?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If English were at all a phonetically consistent language, perhaps. ;)
There are obviously lots of quirks in the English language, but Laura/Lara seems pretty consistent to me.

This idea that Americans have never heard of the name Lara and so call her Laura just because it's a name that's a bit close to it is so stupid.

I'd never heard of the name 'Elon' before Elon Musk. I don't just call him Alan instead, do I?

Yeah. Same logic would also justify pronouncing it "Clara" or "Liara" or anything else that is one letter off "Lara".

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean? The game has been pronouncing it the same way since at least '94. And what is the difference between "You" and "U"? The actual Japanese pronunciation is neither "Ree-U" nor "Rye-You" anyway.
The U is sounding like you pronounce the letter, so like saying 'You' with no Y sound. So Ree-ou if you will. That is what most people think is correct. It's meant to sound more like 'Roo' but with with a 'y' sound like the letter 'e' is spoken somehow, but hell if I can pronounce it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Surely the name Laura being common would mean that people are familiar with it, so when they see the different spelling they should know it is pronounced differently too?
Lots of English names are pronounced the same despite having different spellings.

Shaun/Shawn/Sean
Ricky/Rickey
Louis/Lewis
Stephanie/Stefany
Sarah/Sara
Lynn/Linn
Brittney/Brittany

So, it makes sense that people would default "Lara" to "Laura", especially if they've mostly heard the latter their whole life. In fact, they may not even be aware of the ambiguity in the pronunciation at all (as there are undoubtedly Laras in the world that actually do pronounce their name as "Laura", but the same can't be said for the other way around).

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The pronunciation of Ys. Every time someone has called it Whys I want to stab my ears.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Whenever anyone from Nintendo of America - especially Reggie - said Mario's name. "Maw-ree-oh", they'd say.

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I listen to English-speaking media mention japanese names.
This is what bothers me the most in games without dual audio.

Like, I'm not usually anal about this, and there's something to be said about the flow of the lines being broken to correctly pronounce something in a different language, but I just can't get over how most people in the Persona universe can't say their own names.

I'm going through the Naruto Storm games now, and there was a cutscene I skipped in Storm 3 because I already played the game, but then I decided I did want to watch that moment again, so I went on youtube and ended up clicking a video that was in english, and holy shit. Each character was saying Madara in a different way, it was nuts. Aren't they listening to each other? Can't they at least agree on a way to say it?

It actually made me somewhat understand Atlus' angle in the whole "it was actually Atlus JP that asked us to say the names like this" debate around Persona 5. At least it's consistent.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The U is sounding like you pronounce the letter, so like saying 'You' with no Y sound. So Ree-ou if you will. That is what most people think is correct. It's meant to sound more like 'Roo' but with with a 'y' sound like the letter 'e' is spoken somehow, but hell if I can pronounce it.

OK, I get you now. I guess I've just been pronouncing it so long as "Ree-ou" anyway that I didn't draw a distinction. When you say "Ree-You" fast enough, it sounds the same to me anyway. I suppose if you say it slower, it might stress the Y too much.

My issue with the way others are pronouncing it, is that even if English speakers aren't pronouncing it the same as Japanese are, they are still not even pronouncing it similarly to what the game has been yelling at them for ages. Or any of the movies for that matter.

I've literally also not heard a single person pronounce Zangief with more than two syllables either.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Less so a specific one, but any time a Youtuber/Streamer mispronounces a name and then refuses to correct it, instead making said misspronunciation an incredibly grating "joke". It just screams "immature manchild" to me when that happens.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not video game specific, but I hear this constantly now during video game reviews or discussions (it's rather ubiquitous anymore outside of games as well). When did genre suddenly become "John-ruh"? It's rare for me to ever hear it pronounced correctly anymore. Similarly, I keep hearing aesthetics being pronounced as if the "H" is silent, but it's not.

The pronunciation of Ys. Every time someone has called it Whys I want to stab my eye.

In this day and age, those that frequent video game forums or watch videos should have an idea how to pronounce it, but be honest: how would your 10 - 16 year old self have pronounced this back in the early 90s if you weren't from Japan? It was a toss-up between "Whys" and "Yeez" for me. I think I learned how to pronounce it correctly in '98, but I totally understand why so many mispronounce it.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This thread taught me that Cait Sith is not pronounced as "Cait Sith" but rather "Kett Shee". I never, ever would have figured that out.

I still hate the way "TEE-dus" sounds though. I'll use it but it feels so wrong.

i can't believe i missed this, but fucking thank you

Even worse is pronouncing "Snes" as "Snezzz". I don't know where that came from.

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Carlos Oliveira.

When people say Oli-vee-era instead of Carlos Oli-vera from RE3. Criminal. I know the i is hard to pronounce in conjunction with the e but for some one who's native language is Portuguese, it's more upsetting than it should be.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
One of Ubisoft's founders said that one of the Guillemot Brothers made up the word "Ubi" and thought that it sounded good.

The "ubiquitous" part came later. Besides, "ubiquité" in French isn't pronounced "youbiquité." So it's not "Youbisoft." I've been to Ubi's French headquarters a number of times and nobody ever says "Youbisoft."
They've said that their own employees pronounce it differently because both are correct. Yves has mentioned it as Oo-bee-soft but has also said You-bee-soft is right too, particularly if speaking English.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Gris is also Catalan for "gray" and pronounced similarly to the Spanish. I say this because the studio is based in Barcelona and it appears the artist gave an interview in Catalan and has his site in Catalan as well as Castellano.

Otherwise, Ys mispronunciation bugs me.
Most name pronunciations are kind of based on what language you speak (or even your region, since the only time I ever heard the May-rio thing was when I met someone from the East Coast of the US), so I'm more willing to give people a pass...

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
It's not RYE-you
It's not REE-you

it's monosyballic. It's "you" with a very brief "r" sound in front of it. Imagine saying "sure you" quickly, then skip the "su" (and most of the "r").

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I was young I called Tidus(FFX) "Tie-duhs" and Zidane(FF9) "Zai-dan."

I still prefer the old way I pronounced them compared to what they actually are...

Nov 4, 2017
I literally have a degree in linguistics, these threads fucking kill me every time. Watching people trying to write words "phonetically" is worse than the actual mispronunciations.

Also I majored in Japanese and could speak some Mandarin growing up (I grew up in my city's Chinatown), so basically all those words.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
The title character of Shenmue.

So many people say his name wrong. Some people say Shine-moo, some people say Shen-mooey.

His name is Shen-moo.

Oct 27, 2017
"ForTza" instead of "Forza".

To this day my friends and I can't understand why people pronounce it like that. At first we thought maybe it was a little quirk of Dan Greenwald's, but then other people inside Xbox pronounced it like, then game journalists. Is that an American thing or something?

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Laura Croft is so stupid every time i hear it.

I will always call tidus "tie dus". because of waves and shit, that makes so much more sense than fucking "tee dus"

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Raiden

They pronounce is RAAEE DEN

It is pronounced RAY - DEN like in Mortal Kombat games.
This is wrong. It's pronounced RYE DEN, the way both the English and Japanese versions pronounce it.

In Japanese kanji, Raiden is 雷電, which means "thunderbolt". This is the reason why when Raiden laments "It even rained the day I was born" in MGS4, Solid Snake responds, "You were the lightning in that rain."

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid, I read it as coke-ah-beaux. Choke-ah-beaux still sounds weird.