• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
When americans pronounce the names of japanese game developers. Hideo Kojima especially irks me. The emphasis on the "o's" is all wrong.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Swedes have a tendency to say Super Mario Broose, thinking that's how you say Bros in English.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
LAURA CRAFT

giphy.gif

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Alex the Kid
Kingdom of Hearts
Jack and Dexter
Kingdom of Hearts 3.2 Extra Chapter Final Prelude Revenger ~Side Cover~

I guess along the same vein as the thread, all of the ways Japanese names are pronounced in Persona 5. I love the game, but whoever was in charge of VO direction really made a jarring choice there.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really gaming related, though they do appear in a lot of games, but how do so many people keep calling Raphael "Ralph"?

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
this one I dont think is so simple

Giovanni uses a diphthong... so while you'recorrect in saying it's one syllable I would think that the O should not wipe out the I but blend together
Something like a Jyovanni is more accurate here.
The "O" wipes out the "I" because in Italian the "I" in cases like these where is preceded by "G" or "C" is only a pretext to say that the "G" is soft, hence why no Italian ever had any doubt on pronouncing the word "gif", for us it will always be with soft "G".

Unless you were talking about my english transliteration of the correct pronounciation, in that case i misunderstood but knowing how natives english speakers pronounce the name Joe i still think it fits well.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

I guess along the same vein as the thread, all of the ways Japanese names are pronounced in Persona 5. I love the game, but whoever was in charge of VO direction really made a jarring choice there.
This. They pronounce Sakamoto, Takamaki, and Kitagawa all wrong.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
No particular name, I'm just annoyed by inability to read or listen in general, like adding or removing letters from names even though the spelling in right there in front of you and the name is also being said out loud. Watched a Youtuber call Irina from Xenoblade X "Eye-rain-ee-ah" and Vandham "Van-Ham" constantly. I could have strangled him.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Okay this one is different. The way they pronounce Ra's Al Ghul in the Arkham games vs how they say it in the Nolan movies.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Automata isn't hard to pronounce wtf
I feel like a lot of americans struggle to pronunciate japanese names. By mispronouncing the vocals, but what I find strange is that I don't see australians nor british get it as wrong as americans do. I'm not raining on anyone's parade but it's very interesting to me why this happens

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Wario as "war-ee-oh"

grinds my gears more than any other. He frequently speaks his name out loud, and yet people get it wrong.

Make wah, not war.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Automata isn't hard to pronounce wtf
I feel like a lot of americans struggle to pronunciate japanese names. By mispronouncing the vocals, but what I find strange is that I don't see australians nor british get it as wrong as americans do. I'm not raining on anyone's parade but it's very interesting to me why this happens

Nah it definitely happens in Oceania a lot. Intentionally mispronouncing things from other cultures just seems like a particularly immature mindset of believing your own language or culture to be superior maybe.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

more strange is that it was a decision on the JP end of things despite saying the names different in the JP dub :T

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's been said already in this thread, multiple times, but for me it's very much "Laura" Croft.

Why? Her name is clearly spelled and pronounced in the games themselves, there's no U pronounced or written anywhere.
Also Lara is a pretty common name anyway, do they struggle with this in real life?

Other than that, every time I hear an english pronunciation of Ryu I die a little. Even I struggle to pronounce it properly though, so I try not to say his name out loud to often..
It's one syllable.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
If you think "Rye-You" is dumb, some people say "Gan-Rye-You" when the announcer says his name every time you pick him since Tekken 5.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Any bad Japanese mispronunciation kills me.

Obvious other picks that always get thrown out:
Cait Sith (should be pronounced Kett Shee)
Ico (ee-ko)
Eiko (ay-ko)
Tidus (Tee-dess)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
This is more anime related, but considering I still hear people say it when ever they talk the games he appears in...

How in the world do people still pronounce Naruto as "na-roo-DOH". Why are you making a "doh" sound when there's not even a "d" in Naruto?!

& I don't even like the series, but even when Jump Force came out, people still say it wrong.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The biggest one for me has to be Tidus. It's thoroughly well documented at this point that it is and has always been Tee-dus, not Tai-dus, though I know the original Kingdom Hearts' erroneous dub of that one Selphie line is part of the reason there was confusion about this in the first place.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So I get not knowing some of these -- and I've almost certainly messed up more than a few myself! -- for a variety of reasons, including that the name is written down but never read aloud at any point during a game.

I do not know why so many people pronounce Lara as Laura. Especially with the name itself having been said enough times at this point.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's been said already in this thread, multiple times, but for me it's very much "Laura" Croft.

Why? Her name is clearly spelled and pronounced in the games themselves, there's no U pronounced or written anywhere.
Also Lara is a pretty common name anyway, do they struggle with this in real life?

Other than that, every time I hear an english pronunciation of Ryu I die a little. Even I struggle to pronounce it properly though, so I try not to say his name out loud to often..
It's one syllable.
I think it's because the way they say it in the game is extremely uncommon in America, while "Laura" is instead really common. Personally speaking, I've never heard anyone in real life be called "Lara".

Even now I still think of her as "Laura". I know it's wrong but I don't think I can reprogram my brain to accept the actual pronunciation of her name. It just... sounds better to me?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because the way they say it in the game is extremely uncommon in America, while "Laura" is instead really common. Personally speaking, I've never heard anyone in real life be called "Lara".

Even now I still think of her as "Laura". I know it's wrong but I don't think I can reprogram my brain to accept the actual pronunciation of her name. It just... sounds better to me?

I don't see anyone calling Yennefer from The Witcher series Jennefer

Maturra

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's "Enix" - people tend to default to saying "Eenix", when the proper pronunciation is "Eh-nix."

Probably the most persnickety of things, but it immediately makes my head turn.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Jerald and Jennifer
Kratos (God of War) and Kratos (Tales of Symphonia) being pronounced opposite ways, Kraytos and Kraahtos. I was used to the Tales way so even if GOW is the right one it always sounds weird to me. Same for Raiden and Raiden.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Ryu and Zangief. The games have been pronouncing them exactly one way for decades, and I think it took a really long time for many to finally pronounce Ryu correctly (where half, or more still pronounce it as "Rye-U"), but I have yet to hear anyone pronounce Zangief with three syllables. It's not "Zan-Geef". Not really widespread, but there used to be this person in the arcade that would pronounce Guile as "Gwee-lay" that I thought was ridiculous.

Also, the Ninja Gaiden games getting pronounced as "Gay-Den".

Fuckin' saying SNES instead of S.N.E.S.

I just recently watched a cool video about the lie that helped Nintendo, but the narrator kept saying "Nez" and "Snez". Ugh, just fucking no. In my area, everyone just called them the "Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo".

depending on which character you mean, "Ray-Den" is correct

Only technically, but the actual god he was inspired by is not pronounced that way. What do you want to bet that Ed Boon just kept pronouncing it incorrectly to the point in which it stuck?

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

As a Midwestern American, I think I've met exactly one person named "Lara" in my life. "Laura" is far more common over here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
As a Midwestern American, I think I've met exactly one person named "Lara" in my life. "Laura" is far more common over here.
Surely the name Laura being common would mean that people are familiar with it, so when they see the different spelling they should know it is pronounced differently too?