• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
In the past twenty-four hours I have stumbled across four people who are pronouncing the game Gris as 'Grease' and not the proper 'Gree' like the French pronunciation for Grey.

Am I the only one here that gets little irks for people mispronouncing game/character names?

EDIT: Yes, I am wrong with my pronunciation. But my question still stands!

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only one that really annoys me is when people say Laura instead of Lara.

There's no U there.

dtamago

Feb 1, 2019
In the past twenty-four hours I have stumbled across four people who are pronouncing the game Gris as 'Grease' and not the proper 'Gree' like the French pronunciation for Grey.

Am I the only one here that gets little irks for people mispronouncing game/character names?

Well, it's pronounced like "grease" in Spanish too, that might add to confusion, I know I'm more familiar with Spanish than French.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant think of ever getting bothered by that. I have no clue why someone says something the way they do so no worries really. I think I just notice things. Like I notice SNES versus SNES. But not bothered that I can remember.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
It kinda irks me when people say "Calvary" and "Halbred" instead of Cavalry and Halberd.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Most recently all the various pronunciations of "Amelie" in Death Stranding.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I know this is the correct name...I just will never say it and anytime I hear it I always feel like the person is saying her name with a lisp.

The remake is gonna take some getting used to lol

as someone with the SLIGHTEST lisp with certain "th" sounds it drives me insane. I'm sure someone will SCOLD ME ON THE INTERNET but it's Aeris. I don't care.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
When English-speaking people say "Youbisoft" instead of Ubisoft or when they call Lara Croft "Laura."

As for French people, they mispronounce so many things, there are too many to list! Two exemples:

Some say "Metal Jeere" instead of "Metal Gear" or "CasTuhlvahnia" instead of "Castlevania."

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
More written from than mispronunciation (even though if you right it like that it would be mispronounced, and she is not technically a videogame character but...

Yennefer as Yeniffer or Yennifer

Ive read it so much this past few months and it irks me everytime becuase it sounds like very typical spanish chav girl name.
Is it so hard to write it without the "i", like I wouldnt even mind if people didnt write it well becuase they used a double ff intead of the double n, as that one is actually something easy to mistake, but the fucking "I"... lol
And if you always write the name badly, at least do us everyone a favour and just write Yen lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Yes, I am wrong with my pronunciation. But my question still stands!
Its a spanish name, and the game was made by spanish developers, the pronunciation of gris in spanish is actually very similar to how an english person would say grease, so you would be wrong.

Check it yourself:
https://translate.google.com/?hl=es#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=es&text=grey

EDIT
Seems you already got the message, lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't irk me but I might as well use this thread for a definitive answer: the "u" in Amaterasu is supposed to be silent, right?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
In monster hunter, the monster Tigrex is pronounced tee-grex and I refuse to be a part of that. It is and forever will be tie-grex to me. Also, people slaughter Bazelgeuse, the main part that gets me is when the pronounce the 'geuse ' as 'geese' instead of 'juice'.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is the correct name...I just will never say it and anytime I hear it I always feel like the person is saying her name with a lisp.

The remake is gonna take some getting used to lol
I hate that it was changed even though I know the original was an error. Aeris just sounds so much more pleasing to me.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's both. It's short for "Ubiquitous Software", which would normally make it You-Bee-Soft

One of Ubisoft's founders said that one of the Guillemot Brothers made up the word "Ubi" and thought that it sounded good.

The "ubiquitous" part came later. Besides, "ubiquité" in French isn't pronounced "youbiquité." So it's not "Youbisoft." I've been to Ubi's French headquarters a number of times and nobody ever says "Youbisoft."

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a good place to ask but did some people in other countries apart from Spain called Bowser during the NES and Supernes days Boswer?

The man ways that people say Geralt from The Witcher.
Less than the Yeniffer shit but I have also seen a lot of people write Geralt as Gerald or Gerard lol

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Mostly these "mispronunciations" come from regional accents. The Lara/Laura thing could come straight down on how your rhotic 'R's are pronounced and what type of American or British regional accent you're using. Just pronounce Lara the "right way" with certain British accents and you'll get something remarkably similar sounding to "Laura".

Similarly with Mario and "Mare-ee-oh"...it's an American accent pronunciation that's happened for years:

Like that article suggests, unless you're doing the R correctly with an Italian roll and making it nearly a 2 syllable name, the rightness or wrongness of the pronunciation comes down to accent.

If you talk to a person from New Jersey and say they are pronouncing Mario wrong and then say it Mah-ree-oh they may not be able to even hear the difference.

That's accents.

One of Ubisoft's founders said that one of the Guillemot Brothers made up the word "Ubi" and thought that it sounded good.

The "ubiquitous" part came later. Besides, "ubiquité" in French isn't pronounced "youbiquité." So it's not "Youbisoft." I've been to Ubi's French headquarters a number of times and nobody ever says "Youbisoft."

I guess the above applies to you too. This is accents at work.

It'd be like hearing a French Canadian say the name Theodore and then lambasting them for not doing the "TH" sound correctly.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Raiden

They pronounce is RAAEE DEN

It is pronounced RAY - DEN like in Mortal Kombat games.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The only one that really annoys me is when people say Laura instead of Lara.

There's no U there.

Came for this one. Feels like maybe it's specific to some very particular area of the US; I hear it a lot from people with distinctive accent traits. I'm not familiar enough with North American accents to nail it down though.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Raiden

They pronounce is RAAEE DEN

It is pronounced RAY - DEN like in Mortal Kombat games.

Technically, the Japanese name would be pronounced with each vowel sound individually:
Rah-ee-den
when said fast enough, sounds like "Rye-den".

So it could kind of go either way.