• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
So it seems God of War is the consensus Game of the Year for 2018 by looking at all the results of GOTY awards of various publications.

Clearly God of War joins the two other big candidates for Game of the Gen : the Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild. What a trio !

I know there are other obvious candidates such as Read Dead Redemption 2, Fornite, Bloodborne or Mario Odyssey, But I don't think you could be the game of the Gen if you weren't even able to be the Game of the Year... But that's just me.

Other games such as Overwatch or Dragon Age Inquisition won the TGA Game of the award. But I do no feel there are as strong candidates as the trio I selected. But of course it's up for debate.

So, what "upcoming" game or games could join the trio for the conversation of Best Game of the Generation ? The Last of Us Part 2, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, Metroid Prime 4, Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Ghost of Tsushima, Fire Emblem Three House...

I'll add a poll at a later stage with the main games trending.

EDIT : Dragon Age Inquisition ( and not Dragon Quest... ) I meant. Sorry.

Last edited:

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 for its open world, characters, story and visuals.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
TLOU2, I guess. But I dunno, Uncharted 4 has been completely forgotten in this kind of conversation, even though the hype was through the roof. People would vote for Bloodborne instead of UC4 nowadays. As for Death Stranding, I need to see more.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Last Of Us Part 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 I think have the best chances. Death Stranding would be the wildcard.

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno OP. Fortnite will have more people having fun with it than TW3, BOTW, and GOW combined. Why would it not be considered?
And I say that as a person who is not into Fortnite.
Or to put it another way, Minecraft, this gen and last, and Fortnite so far this gen have brought more people into gaming than any bandied about in your OP. Those two along with PUBG would be my picks.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4 had alot of pacing issues, it was alot slower than even TLOU with only half the writing quality. It wasn't what people expected from a UC game.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
ellieghkh4.gif

obv

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is still game of the gen.

The passing of time won't be kind to the others game in your list, maybe Zelda will last but we'll see.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
For all GoW's indisputable qualities, RDR2 is way more revolutionary than GoW ever tried to be. GoW is a fantastic game that plays it safe. RDR2 did things with its open world that no other open world game does, perhaps even going by a completely different design route. GoW may be the game of the year for many, even for most, but RDR2 will definitely have bigger long-term impact and is the game of the generation.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Cyberpunk will join that conversation for sure. Maybe The Last of Us 2. Maybe Death Stranding. Maybe Metroid Prime 4, but that is a total crapshoot because I am only going by series pedigree here and don't actually know what Metroid Prime 4 fucking is.

I think we'll see more Bloodborne mentions that God of War ones, to be quite honest
I disagree with that, for the wider industry, God of War will stand out more and longer than Bloodborne will (as much as I like Bloodborne a magnitude of times more than I do God of War)

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
The premise of this thread is faulty. Those are not the "concensus" games of the year. Did those win many awards, maybe even the most? Sure. But they certainly didn't win them all. Not even close. The games discredited in the OP did in fact win game of the year by some publications/people.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
God Of War and even BOTW will still hold up in 10+ years time. TW3 seems pretty inferior even a year after it's release, no chance would I have it in the convo for game of the generation. Bloodborne and RDR2 are far better choices, those will hold up even in 10+ years time.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
For all GoW's indisputable qualities, RDR2 is way more revolutionary than GoW ever tried to be. GoW is a fantastic game that plays it safe. RDR2 did things with its open world that no other open world game does, perhaps even going by a completely different design route. GoW may be the game of the year for many, even for most, but RDR2 will definitely have bigger long-term impact and is the game of the generation.
Plays it safe by taking the biggest risk of reimagining the way God of war plays? lmao.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the question is whose conversation are we talking about? Our own? The media consensus? Both?

Is it like, "What upcoming game do we expect to be great AND win a majority of awards?"

Personally, I've drawn a line after Bloodborne, The Witness and Breath of the Wild. For me, those have separated from the rest of the pack.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
RDR 2 and Bloodborne were robbed the op thread. RDR is a game changer regarding open world games, narrative and characters and Bloodborne is well another beast. I can't describe it. Atmosphere, gameplay mechanics and how a game can have a narrative told by the world and the objects on that world

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like others said, the OP is missing Bloodborne. One of the best games this gen, even with its issues

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think Cyberpunk will join that conversation for sure. Maybe The Last of Us 2. Maybe Death Stranding. Maybe Metroid Prime 4, but that is a total crapshoot because I am only going by series pedigree here and don't actually know what Metroid Prime 4 fucking is.

I disagree with that, for the wider industry, God of War will stand out more and longer than Bloodborne will (as much as I like Bloodborne a magnitude of times more than I do God of War)
Oh I actually agree, for some reason I had it in my mind that the OP was talking about just ERA, but after rereading it I don't know where I got that from.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with all of this. It also has multiplayer, so the longevity will be better for me personally at least.

All in all this generation is shaping up to be one of the best ones, if not the best.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I mean apparently more people on ERA favor Bloodborne over TW3 so...

Bloodborne seems to have a strong support on ERA. But I don't think Bloodborne was as groundbreaking or innovative as the Witcher 3 which simply rewrote the open world playblook as no other game did until Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
So it seems God of War is the consensus Game of the Year for 2018 by looking at all the results of GOTY awards of various publications.

Clearly God of War joins the two other big candidates for Game of the Gen : the Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild. What a trio !

I know there are other obvious candidates such as Read Dead Redemption 2, Fornite, Bloodborne or Mario Odyssey, But I don't think you could be the game of the Gen if you weren't even able to be the Game of the Year... But that's just me.

Other games such as Overwatch or Dragon Quest Inquisition won the TGA Game of the award. But I do no feel there are as strong candidates as the trio I selected. But of course it's up for debate.

So, what "upcoming" game or games could join the trio for the conversation of Best Game of the Generation ? The Last of Us Part 2, Resident Evil 2, Death Stranding, Metroid Prime 4, Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Ghost of Tsushima, Fire Emblem Three House...

I'll add a poll at a later stage with the main games trending.
God of War is the consensus game of the year, but RDR2 received a fair share of the votes as well; it's certainly not a runaway victory like Breath of the Wild. And if two potential games of the generation are released in the same year, inevitably only one of them can win the GOTY award. Just look at how people on this site feel about Bloodborne as compared to Witcher 3. So I disagree with your contention that a game that doesn't win GOTY doesn't deserve consideration as a potential GOTG seeing as some years feature more than one truly exceptional game.

Can't answer the next part of your question as I'm usually pretty bad about speculation. But my gut says Cyberpunk.

Oct 25, 2017
TLOU 2 will be up there.

But it's no GOTG conversation without the likes of Bloodborne. And imo, RDR2 most definitely counts.

For me, GOTG right now is between TW3 and RDR2. But that might change this year or the next.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Bloodborne seems to have a strong support on ERA. But I don't think Bloodborne was ascgroundbreaking or innovative as the Witcher 3 which simply rewrote the open world playblook as no game did until Breath of the Wild.
You don't think doesn't stop it from being candidate of game of this generation.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Just on this site or in a wider conversation? If its just on this site, then it almost certainly come down to a handful japanese games, Bloodborne or BotW most likely, and a serious contender to them would have to be japanese as well.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is I will disagree, everyone has their own favorite. I dont have a horse in this race anymore, getting a clean consensus is pretty much impossible

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just on this site or in a wider conversation? If its just on this site, then it almost certainly come down to a handful japanese games, Bloodborne or BotW most likely, and a serious contender to them would have to be japanese as well.
For the wider public, I think it's fair to say the following games count in larger GotG conversations:
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Overwatch
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Fortnite
  • God of War
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
RDR2's easily one of the most incredible productions this generation, if not *the* most, in my opinion. Definitely that.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's no way to possibly know that yet... but I'd say it's a safe bet it won't be Anthem.

Bloodborne seems to have a strong support on ERA. But I don't think Bloodborne was ascgroundbreaking or innovative as the Witcher 3 which simply rewrote the open world playblook as no game did until Breath of the Wild.

V0l2ZSW.gif

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is currently my game of the generation and it's not even really close so provided Nioh 2 comes out and improved on the first I'd certainly hope others would seriously consider it.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
I put my vote on TLOU 2.

For me personally RDR2 is easily the game of the generation so far though with Bloodborne second.

I loved GoW, probably my number three, but IMO it's way over hyped.

Haven't played BotW unfortunately.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017

Look man I don't give a shit about Bloodborne personally, just tryin to prepare you for that ERA thread backfire ;)