• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This is the first time I haven't been there day 1 for a new Pokemon game and nowadays with my backlog as big as it is and games going on sale so fast (unless it's Nintendo lol), I feel like there is less pressure to jump in day 1. I got MGSV day 1 on PS3 (just TPP, not GZ), but I never finished it. A couple of years later I got a PS4 and TPP + GZ was on sale for 15 bucks, so I copped it. Made me realize how useless it is to day 1 unless you're 100% sure you are going to want to play a lot of it once you get it.

3D Mario and Smash I think are the only series I am going to be consistently day 1 for going forward. Donkey Kong too... whenever we get another one.

EDIT: Forgot Mega Man as well, if they're as cheap as 11 was, I'll happily be there day 1.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
(3D) Zelda and Pokemon

EDIT: Also Smash

Last edited:

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Mega Man, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Metroid... basically any franchise I'm a fan of TBH.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Yakuza. I still haven't played 6, but I bought it on day one in the after ours limited edition.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Souls and bloodborne/sekiro. I fully trust from software to deliver an experience i'll enjoy.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of franchises I'm there day one for to count. Hell I used to be day one for many developers themselves as well. Bioware being the main one. But those days are long past me by now.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda and Mario. Though still didn't buy LA remake because of the framerate issues.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine not getting a Smash game on launch - I have for Brawl, both versions of Smash 4, and now Ultimate. They're always so fully featured, and have such a long lifespan at full price, that it's a no-brainer to get them at launch.

Same with Civilization - I know that even if there's issues at/near launch, I'm going to get hundreds of ours of gameplay out of it, and they only come out once a generation, so why wouldn't I? And that extends to the expansion packs.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nothing no more.

Was Pokemon but I decided to opt out of Sword/Shield due to the lack of any good Switch deals this year.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
My only current day one buys are games from Hidetaka Miyazaki (Souls etc.). I used to have a lot more examples but my sense of brand loyalty has gradually reduced over the years. I can remember a time when I'd rush out to buy every new FF game. To do that now would be pretty deluded imo.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just Shin Megami Tensei, but I'll still skip out on entries I'm not interested in, like Strange Journey's remake.

Last edited:

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Games are really expensive here so... None?

But I'm emotionally there for Trails games and FF (now not so much).

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Horizon and I used to be there with CoD but that changed with MW, and if Sony ever goes back to the franchise I'll be there day 1 for a new inFAMOUS. If you wanna count it I'd also pick anything Naughty Dog up immediately, but otherwise nothing.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Pretty much most Sony first party. I've loved all their games minus the MLB ones.

Shenmue

And that's about it.

I used to be for resident evil until 4 that one lost me.

Same with final fantasy until xv

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I can proudly say I've been there on day one from the very beginning of the Super Smash Bros. series, when I was 14 years old.

Other than that, every mainline Legend of Zelda and Metroid game is on the list, as is any game directed by Suda 51. Bayonetta as well. After Three Houses (my first Fire Emblem), Fire Emblem might be there, too.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Diablo, Borderlands and Xenoblade.