• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Thief.

I'd like to see them fully-realize what they were trying to go for in Deadly Shadows, where the City would be a completely open-world environment full of opportunities for sneaking and stealing, while the main missions would still be self-contained, highly-crafted levels ala something like Dishonored. While I didn't like the Thieves' Guild questline in Skyrim as a whole, there were aspects about it that had me clamoring for a new Thief game on a scale much larger than the original trilogy.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Syphon Filter is due a big-budget comeback. Bring back the structure of the older games, where each individual mission is its own thing and can potentially play differently from the one that preceded it, whether it be action-focused or stealth-based or built around a set-piece, so on and so forth. Place lots of emphasis on deep stealth mechanics, make it hard in difficulty and for the love of God, don't set it in an open-world environment.

Ubisoft can't be arsed to give the world another Chaos Theory, so it's down to Sony now. Do it you cowards.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Syphon Filter and Prince of Persia

Actually regarding Prince of Persia, I thought that the reboot in 2008 was pretty good (I preferred the old trilogy but the reboot was decent and had great art style), but no idea why the series died after it. Was it due to poor sales? Or due to licensing fees? Or was it replaced by Assassin's Creed?

I'm pretty sure it's mainly due to Assassin's Creed. Both for its massive success compared to other Ubisoft titles at the time as well as a general genre overlap with PoP.

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. If Microsoft wants these to even be close to relevant in today's landscape, this is badly needed. If they just do the same thing again you might as well just write off the series
I'm really surprised Gears 5 is as soon and as vanilla as it is. Looking at the gameplay I was just left with that yep that's Gears feeling. I liked 4 and I'll like 5 but I just can't get excited.

Honestly what I want from Gears is for them to go all out horror. Have it be a prequel or origin story maybe? Basically remember the old Mad World tv ad? A full game with that tone. Reimagine Gears that way.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
King's Quest or any of the old Sierra adventure games.

EDIT: Just remembered they brought out new King's Quest a few years back. But definitely need more Space Quest and Quest for Glory.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised Gears 5 is as soon and as vanilla as it is. Looking at the gameplay I was just left with that yep that's Gears feeling. I liked 4 and I'll like 5 but I just can't get excited.

Honestly what I want from Gears is for them to go all out horror. Have it be a prequel or origin story maybe? Basically remember the old Mad World tv ad? A full game with that tone. Reimagine Gears that way.
That's a pretty bad idea. Gears isn't a single player only franchise. The MP is a bigger draw for the series. It's not like god of war

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I'm shocked that Bethesda hasn't done anything like Doom with the Quake franchise.

This franchise has been rebooted 3 times. After the mess that was the Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it is time to let this one die.
i honestly would love a more immersive sim mixed with Doom for quake with the lovecraftish style

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect is the main one that comes to mind. Andromeda felt too dated by being so rooted in the design of the trilogy. Though I doubt Bioware is up for the task these days

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In addition to some fine suggestions:

• Prince of Persia. Bring back the 2008 style for start.
  • Command and Conquer
  • Syndicate
  • Tribes
  • Age of Empires/Rise of Nations/Age of Wonders
  • Fable
  • Freelancer
This is pretty much my wishlist, except I would switch Prince of Persia for Dungeon Keeper... I really really want a new one and would also add Command & Conquer Renegade, I actually enjoyed the game very much. :)

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
These are all modern franchises and not really in the spirit of the topic... I think you guys just don't like recent entries in those franchises lol

They're no more modern than God of War in many cases, and most of them are spot on. Most games that predate the PS2 / Xbox era don't have enough personality to be worth reinventing, but there are exceptions.

I'd love to see Star Fox turn back into a worthwhile franchise. Suikoden might still have enough name recognition for a revival, too.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Halo and Gears desperately need reimagings... and Killzone has too good lore to be such a generic FPS.

I'd love to see what could be done with Dino Crisis.

Its really not. It just had a new game last year, and was totally rebooted in 2013. GoW had never really changed, and didn't have a current gen entry. I don't think remasters should count either, no. It seems like people are just naming current franchises they don't like the direction of.
... Why would anyone want a reimagining of a series they DO like the direction of?
The reason GOW got it's 2018 reboot was because the formula got stale... which is exactly the same problem games like Tomb Raider are having.

Hell the thing that makes new GOW so special is how recent it was from the last game. They didn't take a massive break or anything.
They could've easily made yet another classic-gow, but they took a risk and it paid off massively.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie would be the most appropriate choice.

DrBhCYtX0AAjViR

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
So...

Prince of Persia
Silent Hill
Splinter Cell
Syphon Filter
Ninja Gaiden
Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver
Duke Nukem

Good choice. Maybe not for a total reform and redesign, but for a new entry to the series. Also...

Burnout
Split/Second
Midtown Madness
Motocross Madness
Skate
SSX
Mini Ninjas
Freedom Fighters
Enslaved
Virtua Fighter

...dreams. Only dreams.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of many titles more worthy than No One Lives Forever. Holy shit I want to play another one of those so bad,