• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
God of War did a great job of revitalizing and reinvigorating an older franchise, and transporting the core mechanics and narrative into something completely different. What other franchises could do something similar?

I personally think Syphon Filter would be something cool to bring back, especially now that Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid have essentially fallen to the wayside. The series ended on a cliffhanger on a portable game, but you can come back into by setting it 15 years later and opening on an unnamed American agent, now aged and scarred, in a secret Chinese black site plotting a prison revolution and escape before making his way back to America to expose government malfeasance and prevent a powerful terrorist group from unleashing a worldwide attack. All his old enemies and friends are either gone, disappeared, or dead, so he's on his own to cobble together a group that can take these baddies on. By setting it a long time after the original games, you don't need to bring in the baggage beyond Logan being betrayed and left for dead, finding himself in a foreign prison, and essentially losing. Everybody he knew and cared about is now gone, so he's alone in the world and he has to put his ass in the fire again to try and save everybody, but... is it still worth it after everything he's gone through?

Starring... KIEFER SUTHERLAND AS GABE LOGAN

rexfeatures_8563773a.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider. A God of War style revival but also one inspired by RE2make, where the series returns to its roots (but modernized). Less cinematic TPS, more Tomb Raider. Skill based platforming, deeper melee/gun combat (blend of TRLegend/DMC) and Anniversary/Dark Souls inspired level design.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Socom, 100%.

The fact that Sony haven't cashed in on both the Rainbow Six Seige and BR crazes (just the renaissance for more tactical, non-respawn shooters in general) with a new Socom game (just play PUB G and it's basically Socom BR) is just insane to me.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Socom, 100%.

The fact that Sony haven't cashed in on both the Rainbow Six Seige and BR crazes (just the renaissance for more tactical, non-respawn shooters in general) with a new Socom game (just play PUB G and it's basically Socom BR) is just insane to me.

Guerrilla have hired the director of Siege and he's currently directing an unannounced game for them. Whatever that is remains to be seen. But most expect it to be a multiplayer game since that's where his expertise is and Sony have openly talked about how they wanted to do better in that area.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Socom, 100%.

I wish Sony would dedicate themselves to a proper MP shooter like SOCOM, but they seem content on having a bunch of 3rd party MP games do that for them while they lead the industry with SP games.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tomb Raider. A God of War style revival but also one inspired by RE2make, where the series returns to its roots (but modernized). Less cinematic TPS, more Tomb Raider. Skill based platforming, deeper melee/gun combat (blend of TRLegend/DMC) and Anniversary/Dark Souls inspired level design.
1. Halo
2. Killzone
3. Uncharted
4. Gears
5. Mass Effect

These are all modern franchises and not really in the spirit of the topic... I think you guys just don't like recent entries in those franchises lol

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Socom, 100%.

They hired the Rainbow Six director on Guerrilla

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Dead Space.

Some kind of shake-up like RE7. Take it back to its roots but also modernize.

Jan 15, 2018
Silent Hill is the true answer, specially if it is in the veins of Silent Hill 2.

Joke answer (but not really) is Space Harrier. Give me Space Harrier but he is a dad with a beard, Sega.

Oct 28, 2017
Jak and Daxter
just think about it

Fuck yeah!!!!

I think the new Tomb Raider Trilogy counts(Its also a damn fine set of games)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said DMCV before it launched but everyone ganged up on me so i will go with:

Uncharted. I'd rather they make a new IP but it looks like Sony is making another Uncharted. I want this to be focused on challenging platforming and challening but not complicated puzzles. make combat deeper by letting us upgrade abilities. Days Gone does a great job of giving you more and more abilities and better weapons.

it doesnt need to be open world but hub world will be perfect for an adventure like uncharted.

Halo Infinite as well. And gears too. though i'd rather they kill these franchises as well. But halo needs to go back and capture the insanity of the first halo 2 gameplay reveal and the highs of the halo 3 Scarab battles. its been 13 years and no one has managed to capture scale like that. i think its time we see full out warfare in video games. enough with this guerrilla style battles with like 10 people max. lets go full hollywood.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Warhawk
Bloody Roar
Red Faction
Motorstorm
Killzone Liberation
MDK
MGS3
MK Shaolin monks

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Saints Row.

The only thing the game absolutely needs is Johnny Gat, but it would give Volition the...volition to make the series a bit less balls to the wall.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
In addition to some fine suggestions:

• Prince of Persia. Bring back the 2008 style for start.
  • Command and Conquer
  • Syndicate
  • Tribes
  • Age of Empires/Rise of Nations/Age of Wonders
  • Fable
  • Freelancer

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
It's long overdue for Gears of War but it looks like Gears 5 will again be more of the same.

FIFA actually changing things up after 20 years would also be nice, will never happen and probably doesn't make sense business wise though.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid, if we're talking about the 3D games. Although that's hypocritical of me because I am expecting and hoping for a version of Metroid Prime 4 that plays similar to the older games but is significantly improved in some way that doesn't make it entirely different a la God of War.

Oct 28, 2017
These are all modern franchises and not really in the spirit of the topic... I think you guys just don't like recent entries in those franchises lol
Dude you put God of War as an example in the title. God of War wasn't some classic revival. It was a new entry in an alive and well franchise that went in a new direction. It was not a revival of a dead franchise. How are the examples you posted not in the spirit of the topic?

Tomb Raider was the first that came to my mind by the way. A real back to basics but new approach. No xp no crafting or any of these modern systems. Exploration focused without a map with little to no hand holding, challenging manual skill based platforming. Defy conventions.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider
Halo
Fable
Saints Row

These are the ones that come to mind. Tomb Raider has actually pulled it off before so hopefully they reboot after the disappointing shadow, Halo sounds like they are doing this. Fable we have no idea yet and Saints Row is just sitting there. I'd like to see it reimagined as Saints Row: Freespace after the end of Saints Row 4, I'm probably in the minority there though.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Dude you put God of War as an example in the title. God of War wasn't some classic revival. It was a new entry in an alive and well franchise that went in a new direction. It was not a revival of a dead franchise. How are the examples you posted not in the spirit of the topic?

Tomb Raider was the first that came to my mind by the way. A real back to basics but new approach. No xp no crafting or any of these modern systems. Exploration focused without a map with little to no hand holding, challenging manual skill based platforming. Defy conventions.

GoW wasn't dead before GoW4 but I wouldn't call it "alive and well". Ascension wasn't that well-received and the old style of GoW had gotten pretty stale.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Diablo
POE is already the perfect Diablo 2 sequel, so there really isn't a need for Blizzard to go back to that formula.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I mean, almost all franchises could use a GoW style reboot. One of the reasons it was so successful was because they understood that the majority of the player base that enjoyed that series grew up, so they had the game grow up too.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is a good example of what happens when you don't grow up the game that's player base has grown up. It was a fine game on its own but it could have been so much more if you ask me.

World of Final Fantasy is another good example. So many call backs and references that only players that have been there since the beginning would get yet they delivered a product that is geared to kids who wouldn't get the references. And at least personally, the best part about WoFF were the call backs. If it didn't have the FF aspect it would have been just another dumb jrpg no one asked for.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Oh btw, Killzone definitely fits the bill; I think it has reached its middling point and a change in genre would be helpful. The amount of good quality lore the game has to build upon is undeniable.

It is time to give up the pure FPS nature in favour something more expansive; like Deus Ex.

Also, all that said, I do wonder if GG would even do it themselves given in the NoClip documentary about HZD they said they wanted to move away to something fresher for the sake of growth of the studio personnel.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears of War
Halo
Killzone
Devil May Cry
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
Tomb Raider
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Assassin's Creed
Far Cry

Oct 27, 2017
Is a GOW style revival different from an RE4 or Tomb Raider or Zelda? I'm confused what characterizes it over other series revivals

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War is first franchise that comes to my mind. I bought xbox 360 for Gears 1, loved second one as well but can't hide my disappointment how Microsoft have not tried to shake up the formula even a little for over a decade. Without big changes i can't imagine playing Gears 5 at all.