• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
low effort: boil frozen dumplings
slightly more effort: pan fry frozen dumplings
too much effort: actually making dumplings
the sweet spot: use dumpling stuffing and dough to make large pan fried pies

Oct 28, 2017
A Triscuit with a slice of cucumber and sliced parm or cream cheese drizzled with some homemade hot oil*

*Olive oil with serrano peppers, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and black pepper corns. keep it in a dark green glass bottle in a cool place. This is a simple but life changing recipe. Makes you a kitchen boss.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about super low effort then either a tuna sandwich, tuna with rice, or toast with butter/jam or dulce de leche.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Or...peanut butter straight out of the jar if you're going true minimalist.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I'm a sucker for baked beans and cheese on toast.

Edit: Or in a wrap, on potatoes of any kind, etc.

I like to add butter, pepper, salt, Worcester sauce and a dollop of marmite into the pan too. Sounds complex, but all you're doing is letting it melt, and stirring - and it certainly elevates your standard Heinz.

Add some chicken (or really any protein) for an extra filling meal.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Its easily a thyme/butter/garlic basted New York Strip or Ribeye. Easily one of the best things i've ever eaten/cooked and it took all of 20 minutes with a tiny bit of prep which is mainly just setting the steak out and seasoning it.

Seasoning and prep: 5 minutes
Cooking: 5-6 minutes
Set time: 10 minutes

Easy ROI.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think instant meals are a fair comparison, so I'll stick to meals that are actually prepared from scratch (even if the ingredients are not).

Nearly any combination of eggs, cheese and bread is simple and delicious (admittedly, omelettes take a bit of practice, but I make them often enough that it's super quick).

Could even cut out the eggs and just make grilled cheese, though the inclusion of eggs really make it a satisfying and well rounded meal with so many possible variations.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hot dog + Bun + Mustard

Like, even microwaving a hot dog for -1 minute- and it's nearly as delicious as cooking it on the grill. Hot dogs are natures candy.

How am I the first person to mention a hot dog? Hot dogs legit take 60 seconds of zero effort, you hit a button on the microwave if you're lazy and omg are they fuckin good. I had never microwaved a hot dog before (wrap in paper towel, run under water for liek 2 seconds, toss in the micro for 45-60 sec, donezo). I didn't possibly think a microwaved hot dog would be as good as a boiled or grilled dog, but fuck me, it's basically the same.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
If I want something tasty in a hurry I either make good quality instant noodles or, and hear me out here, a cheese, marmite and peanut butter sandwich. Toasted or not, both work. I know it sounds weird but they are lovely. Though you will need milk.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Macaroni and cheese, not even a contest. It can be as simple as noodles and melted cheese, it can be as complicated as you want to make it to add more fixins. No matter what though, it's always fucking delicious.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cold hotdogs out of the package. 0 minutes to prepare. Not the best, but good (student) food when you have less than a minute before you have to leave.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
steak.

cast iron skillet, heated, with butter and oil, seasoned properly, cook 2 to 4 minutes a side depending on thickness for medium rare.
This is probably the right answer for omnivores. You can even omit the butter to make it even more basic but still delicious. Steak, salt, pepper, oil. No other tools than the pan. The only dexterity-based cooking skills required is turning on the stove and being able to flip a steak. Although tongs would be nice, you can technically flip the steak with the dining utensils.

PB&J sandwich is also high yield-low effort, but I think the ratio is higher with a steak (e.g., if the former is 5:1, the latter would be 20:3 in my eyes).

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Ctrl + F "shakshuka"

C'mon now :/

downshiftology.com

Best Shakshuka Recipe (Easy & Traditional) | Downshiftology

This classic, authentic shakshuka recipe is perfect for any meal of the day. It's a combination of tomatoes, onions, spices and poached eggs.

Super easy to make and it tastes amazing.
I agree, it can be as easy as opening a can of tomatoes, tossing in some pepper flakes, and cracking eggs, but it probably counts as too much effort compared to setting a timer like in the OP.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Or...peanut butter straight out of the jar if you're going true minimalist.
This must be the winner. Just a big spoonful or peanut butter is great.
If I want something tasty in a hurry I either make good quality instant noodles or, and hear me out here, a cheese, marmite and peanut butter sandwich. Toasted or not, both work. I know it sounds weird but they are lovely. Though you will need milk.
That sandwich sounds good. Cheddar?

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I agree, it can be as easy as opening a can of tomatoes, tossing in some pepper flakes, and cracking eggs, but it probably counts as too much effort compared to setting a timer like in the OP.

This must be the winner. Just a big spoonful or peanut butter is great.

That sandwich sounds good. Cheddar?
Cheddar works. Emmental is my preference though.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sushi takeaway. Hey, if instant ramen is a valid answer, then food prepared by someone else is fair play. :P

For stuff that you actually have to prepare yourself from separate ingredients, I don't seem to ever get tired of deli turkey + cheese sandwitches. So low effort you can literally prepare them as you eat them, e.g. watching TV. Eat straight from the fridge in summer, heat them in the microwave in winter.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
PB and J with some banana. Was pretty much the first food I learned to make myself and it is still amazing.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Beans on toast.
Crisp sandwich.
Toast on its own.
Cucumber sandwich.
Cheese sandwich.

Bread?

Edit: I have never tried a banana sandwich. Huh. I can see it being alright to good though. Might give it a shot one day.