• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It probably doesn't help out the OP at all but I wanted to call our Weaponlord. Killing certain people changes the story and there are no set number of continues but if an opponent kills you, it is game over. Really neat game.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Injustice 2 is the only fighting game I played for its story (and I don't like the MK type gameplay) so I'd definitely go with that one. It's good and well balanced between cutscenes and fights.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Literally none of them. Even NRS are kinda bad, don't be tricked by cutscenes.
ddru_jacqui.gif

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Not a story mode but I think Killer Instinct's shadow lords mode works well as a single player mode that is more interesting than the regular tower mode.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
These are IMO the best in their respective areas, Story Modes and Stories/Lore

Great story modes:
MK9 MK10 MK11
Injustice 1 and 2
Blazblue Series
GranBlue
Tekken 7
KOF13 (the only KOF with proper "story mode")

Great Lore/Stories:
KOF Series
Guilty Gear Series
Blazblue Series
Mortal Kombat 9 to 11
Injustice Series

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Smash Brawl's subspace is easily the most fun i've had in any of them. such a cool idea and the cutscenes are lovely

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"none of them have good story modes" lol foh

9382_front.jpg

What's this? A completely different story mode (different setting, tone, etc) for each character (each pilot, not mech), and each one with branching paths? The most replayable story mode in a fighting game ever? Damn, how crazy that nobody else ever tried the same huh.

Oh man I always harp on about how complete of an experience this game is.
It is easily one of my favorite Capcom games ever, and a big reason is all of the love that went into the various story modes and unlockable content.

Some of my other favorites are the VF 4 Evo Quest Mode and Brawl.
I know Brawl gets a lot of hate and Subspace Emissary definitely has its flaws, but I still had a blast playing through it with a friend.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
NRS is the only dev that has managed to make a good fighting game story mode. Unless you're also counting Arena fighters then I'd also recommend the Storm games.

Edit: I guess Tekken 7 was kinda fun too, but it was pretty short.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat Deception. The parts where you learn the fighting styles aren't great, but exploring the realms and seeing all the characters and lore up to that point is still some of the most fun I've had with MK.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
It probably doesn't help out the OP at all but I wanted to call our Weaponlord. Killing certain people changes the story and there are no set number of continues but if an opponent kills you, it is game over. Really neat game.

Deep cut but I agree. And the story branches due to who you kill or don't and how.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
also i keep forgetting these are fighting games but DBZ Supersonic Warriors had super fun story modes as well. its the DBZ story cut down but still pretty competantly executed to where you can enjoy it if you know the original tale. they give you a lot of original character stories depending on which character you go in story mode with, which is fun times for a fan of the series. like Piccolo going Majin in a timeline where Vegeta isn't there or Ginyu being relevant through the whole story cause he beat Goku early

zVEGWt0.png

especially 2 which had like unlocking abilities and a lot of these cool branches in the story and stuff and like what-if scenarios depending on how fast you beat your enemies or how little damage you took and stuff like that.

BFOHXjD.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
also i keep forgetting these are fighting games but DBZ Supersonic Warriors had super fun story modes as well. its the DBZ story cut down but still pretty competantly executed to where you can enjoy it if you know the original tale.

especially 2 which had like a lot of these cool branches in the story and stuff and like what-if scenarios depending on how fast you beat your enemies or how little damage you took and stuff like that.
It's the first DBZ game I can recall that went all in on the idea of what if scenarios. It was pretty cool.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A story mode that tells a good story? Urm... doesn't really exist to be honest. I like how funny the gag endings in Blazblue can get. But the lore in that series gets way too complicated.

Stories that are actually fun to play through? Weapon Master mode in Soul Calibur II is still king I guess, even if it's essentially a mission mode.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Don't know if it counts or if anyone agrees but Super Smash Bros Brawl even though the gameplay kind of drags on the Subspace Emmisary is ace as hell

Oct 25, 2017
also i keep forgetting these are fighting games but DBZ Supersonic Warriors had super fun story modes as well. its the DBZ story cut down but still pretty competantly executed to where you can enjoy it if you know the original tale. they give you a lot of original character stories depending on which character you go in story mode with, which is fun times for a fan of the series. like Piccolo going Majin in a timeline where Vegeta isn't there or Ginyu being relevant through the whole story cause he beat Goku early

especially 2 which had like unlocking abilities and a lot of these cool branches in the story and stuff and like what-if scenarios depending on how fast you beat your enemies or how little damage you took and stuff like that.
Daaamn, I never played 2, need to get on that

Supersonic Warriors is a great shout out in general, the what if stories are super fun.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I think there's often a tradeoff between a good single player mode and a well balanced multi-player. A lot of fun single player modes involve character customization, rpg elements, or even gameplay that isn't the core mechanics. So the question is if you prefer that, or if you want the story mode to be standard 1-on-1 fights with interspersed cutscenes.

I'm not much of a fan of very technical fighters, so I love a story mode that includes character progression. But if I had different tastes, I would for sure prefer a story heavy single player mode that doesn't mix things up too much.