• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
bzxb7k6u

I choose to ignore your fake truth, SIR

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
6000 moves and you can't find a single one you like? Go for Tekken, especially if you already have it downloaded. Tekken's very casual friendly imo and there's room to grow if they catch the itch. So many characters there's gotta be one that is appealing - then just find one or two moves that are satisfying to hit and do them ad nauseum.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Casual play, i'd say Dragon Ball Fighterz, you will do a lot of flashy stuff at the press of a button.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
GBVS, meanwhile, is a slower game
I agree, the game seems aimed to new fighting game players (mostly to the gacha crowd for sure) and it's slow compared to most 2D fighting games. It's really a shame that the characters are so bad (IMO of course), because this kind of game could be a great option for people like me that love fighting games but don't have the time to invest a lot of hours in complex games while playing lots of SP games. I hope it does well enough and ArcSys gets some more appealing project soonish for a new "slow" fighting game.

Oct 27, 2017
MK11 and Injustice 2 should fit your needs if you want good netcode, good singleplayer content, and easy inputs (supers are two buttons, no quarter circle or dp inputs, etc).

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
The first hurdle for casual players: the single player doesn't help you with shit and you need to accept you're gonna be doing some losing.

Any of the fighting games that are popular with active communities have some okay SP content and a playable, but not ideal online set up. Street Fighter has been plenty good for casuals to learn.

Actually learning a fighting game n characters is on the player to put in the effort.

Pick a fighting game that looks cool, play it. Put in the effort to learn it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a fantastic and simple First Fighting Game that doesn't lack depth once you master the mechanics. Blade Strangers, Granblue Fantasy, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle all have some simplified ideas but are still deep and interesting.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Killer Instinct (2013) - Tons of single player content, including an X-Com style adventure mode, and more importantly, Shadow-AI that behaves like real actual players. Combo assist mode to help you training wheels your execution. Only simple command inputs (qcf, dp, b-f, and d-u motions with no charges).

Divekick - Two button fighting game. Lets you play mindgames and footsies with almost no learning curve. Totally unique experience and helps you learn from and see your mistakes as results of your choices a lot easier than other games.

Granblue Fantasy Versus - Great single player and co-op RPG mode. Easy special move inputs available, similar to smash (direction + button). Small roster right now, but very pretty game.

(Yes, some personal bias here, but not that much :D )

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, the game seems aimed to new fighting game players (mostly to the gacha crowd for sure) and it's slow compared to most 2D fighting games. It's really a shame that the characters are so bad (IMO of course), because this kind of game could be a great option for people like me that love fighting games but don't have the time to invest a lot of hours in complex games while playing lots of SP games. I hope it does well enough and ArcSys gets some more appealing project soonish for a new "slow" fighting game.
Can't say I agree at all with the characters being bad. And I don't picture Arc making anything other than more fast-paced air dashers for additional projects in the near future.

Samurai Shodown is the only other game that comes to mind in respect to slower 2D fighters.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
While Tekken is definitely hard to master, I would say it is pretty casual friendly actually. I mean if you just want to have fun with friends and family button mashing is just fine. You really don't need to know all of the moves.

SF5 works great for getting in every now and then too.

If you like the anime just pick up DBFZ.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Can't say I agree at all with the characters being bad. And I don't picture Arc making anything other than more fast-paced air dashers for additional projects in the near future.

Samurai Shodown is the only other game that comes to mind in respect to slower 2D fighters.
As long as Arc keeps doing fighting games for other companies, I think we will get more games like this as are easier to approach for new users. DBZ is fast but more approchable than GG or BB for example. Which is not that great IMO, considering that their games are more unique and their "over-the-top" character design is something I enjoy, but I feel that at the moment they can do both.

Samurai Shodown is another game I think is "ugly", but mostly because of the tech used and low-quality models, the characters are at least charismatic in this one but the tech/gameplay doesn't appeal that much to me.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I'm trying to find a fighting game that

a): Is less complicated and technical than like Tekken (which I tried a PS Now trial of and it's really impressive but... There's like 6000 moves). Simple enough for like my brother (who doesn't play fighting games) and I to be able to play well so we can play against each other.

b): Has a fun single player campaign so I can get to an acceptable level of bad instead of getting there rough just endless practice mode grinding or getting killed online.

c): Has good netcode for people playing with wired connections.

What game comes closest to hitting all three of these marks and which is the best? What does Era recommend with regards to fighting games?
Injustice 2 fits A & B perfectly.

Great campaign + less complicated and deep as Tekken.

It relies mostly on timed face button presses instead of stick rolling too, which may or may not be a bonus to you (I can't manage stick rolling).

Also once the campaign is done, there is a cool Tower style mode called Multiverse that you can play afterwards that gives you different challenges and wacky modifiers, if you win you unlock new gear for characters. You could spend lots of time in that.

DBFZ is also very accessible as it goes but the campaign bored the tits of me.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Silly question from a casual (and SP) fighting game fan: what the fuck are rollback and delay-based netcodes?

sorry for the tangent but I'm kinda lost, and I want to know same thing the OP asked...

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Them's Fighting Herds has basically no single player content, but it does have good Netcode and there are only 6 characters, so only 6 matchups to learn lol It's also fairly straightforward and not too pick up and figure out. Fight of Gods and Animal Fight are similarly dumb fun games that have good net code.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question from a casual (and SP) fighting game fan: what the fuck are rollback and delay-based netcodes?

sorry for the tangent but I'm kinda lost, and I want to know same thing the OP asked...
This video describes the difference pretty well.

The tl;dr is that rollback netcode is designed to preserve a users' inputs during a connection drop by predicting what the player will do and will rewind the game state if it predicted wrong (hence rolling back), whereas delay-based just pauses the game entirely when the connection drops and any inputs made at that point are lost.

With delay based netcode, a laggy game will look like slow-motion and you'll get a lot of dropped inputs. With rollback, you might notice some weirdness with the game being rewound a bit sometimes, but you won't lose any of your inputs, which is a big deal when it comes to fighting games.

Last edited:

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017

Short answer is rollback netcode allows you to play like offline and "rolls back" when it gets out of sync. Delay based netcode needs to be in sync all the time and will slow down the game to stay in sync. The video explains better.

Edit: damn, too late lol

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to find a fighting game that

a): Is less complicated and technical than like Tekken (which I tried a PS Now trial of and it's really impressive but... There's like 6000 moves). Simple enough for like my brother (who doesn't play fighting games) and I to be able to play well so we can play against each other.

b): Has a fun single player campaign so I can get to an acceptable level of bad instead of getting there rough just endless practice mode grinding or getting killed online.

c): Has good netcode for people playing with wired connections.

What game comes closest to hitting all three of these marks and which is the best? What does Era recommend with regards to fighting games?
Power Rangers Battle for the Grid is 100% what you are looking for and more.

Its had ggpo and crossplay since day 1.

It has one button for special moves. Pushing it with forward or backwards or by itself or in the air is generally all you do for specials.

It's got 3 main attack buttons , light medium heavy. Each has a mashable combo if you wanna use em or string em together. Or dont. It's a sandbox kinda game. You be surprised at just what all it let's you link together. No real motion inputs. Most you'll ever do is forward backward down or up.

Game has a pretty long comic book story. No really it's based on the award winning comic book story battle for the grid. It's awesome. Plus it has generic arcade mode type one liner dialogue story for every character.

Tons of support from devs and frequent improvements and updates with more to come still so it's still growing and not on it's way out.

Its 3v3 with assists. Get crazy and play as all sorta of folks. No need to just pick one and even if you did you could make a ton of teams for em.

Game has great balance. Even the lowest on tier lists are all still super viable. Drakkon has always been bottom 3 and yet hes on a ton of top teams online. Game is just that versatile.

Great movement. Not an airdash fighter, but you can do crazy shit like plink dash or wave dash or even kara cancels if you wanna be advanced. Do you have to? Not really. Unlike other wavedash fighters I generally dont see a ton of zipping around in bftg. It's there but not necessary most of the time cuz walk speeds, normal dashing and move range is solid in this game.

Super variety in the roster movesets. Not a "which ryu fighter is best shoto" at all. Devs worked hard so every character has a good identity of their own without ever goin so far that you end up in blazblue "too many systems to figure out" territory.

Stupid easy to learn. Like even advanced stuff like juggle combos are hit M on the upward part of your jump and then H on the downward part then jump repeat for about everyone. Really... those combos where you see a dude hop over and over and loop someone are actually beginner easy and dont involve a lot at all. Try Gia Moran to see what I mean. You can do em by accident they're so easy, but in general scaling and such prevent touch of death and infinites from being common even at high level because infinites get patched out fast and most touch of death is stupid hard.

Seriously. Power rangers battle for the grid is everything you want and unlike most it has ggpo crossplay and it's still set for longterm support and isnt about to end. Plus its flashy as fuck and made by veteran marvel vs capcom folks to be exciting. Jump on board already. Its morphin time.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a fantastic and simple First Fighting Game that doesn't lack depth once you master the mechanics. Blade Strangers, Granblue Fantasy, and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle all have some simplified ideas but are still deep and interesting.
I'd say BBTAG falls under the same category as DBFZ in setting out to make something casuals can get into easily, but ultimately having too much going on to actually be manageable for them (especially when accounting for things like Cross Combos).
As long as Arc keeps doing fighting games for other companies, I think we will get more games like this as are easier to approach for new users. DBZ is fast but more approchable than GG or BB for example. Which is not that great IMO, considering that their games are more unique and their "over-the-top" character design is something I enjoy, but I feel that at the moment they can do both.

Samurai Shodown is another game I think is "ugly", but mostly because of the tech used and low-quality models, the characters are at least charismatic in this one but the tech/gameplay doesn't appeal that much to me.
Keeping expectations lower in respect to production values will remain necessary for SNK's 2.5D efforts.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The SP obviously isn't going to have MK11 levels of production values, but I think this one covers all the bases:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
This video describes the difference pretty well.

The tl;dr is that rollback netcode is designed to preserve a users' inputs during a connection drop by predicting what the player will do and will rewind the game state if it predicted wrong (hence rolling back), whereas delay-based just pauses the game entirely when the connection drops and any inputs made at that point are lost.

With delay based netcode, a laggy game will look like slow-motion and you'll get a lot of dropped inputs. With rollback, you might notice some weirdness with the game being rewound a bit sometimes, but you won't lose any of your inputs, which is a big deal when it comes to fighting games.

Thanks a lot! Although it reminded me of stadia's negative input lag, if it works I can see it being favoured.