• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the Ghostbusters videogame.

The full cast reunited for the first (and only) time since GB2, it's basically GB3, and it's a well made, well playing game with really neat ideas that offers a new spin on the third person shooter formula... with a dash of whimsy and light horror.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
LISA and Omori get stereotyped as "Depression/Mother clones" when they're so much more. Still need to play Eastward.

Well then now I shall play Omori. And it's interesting that people dismissed LISA for being too edgy or depressing when TLoU is so popular. I think if it had a console release a lot more people would have given it a go.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, yeah. I feel like no one has really managed to articulate the "special something" that BotW has. It's absolutely there, but discussions tend to try and distill things into checklists of "does BotW have X or Y relative to other games," and I feel like that misses the point when the things that make BotW special are the moment-to-moment craftsmanship, the develeoper's "invisible hand," etc. But those are really abstract concepts -- things you feel while playing but that are difficult to put into words. It deserves its GOAT status, but I feel the dialogue around it barely scratches the surface.
I don't think It's underappreciated at all, I thought it was great fun, but on the other hand I thought some fans got really on the offensive, protective of the game, when you say you personally don't like the weapon shattering.

Charbox

May 21, 2018
Conkers Bad Fur Day, it's one of a kind and it's multiplayer isn't given the credit it deserves when most people discuss good multiplayer games on the N64.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
EX Troopers has my some of my favorite combat in a video game and definitely my favorite take on ranged gun-focused combat. The movement is exhilarating, the visuals/music/story are all good, the game never lets up. It was never localized for a western release and to this day most people have no idea what the game is.
The opening cutscene where the protag "enters the comic" and the ending cutscene where he "exits the comic" was incredibly stylish.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Psi-Ops_-_The_Mindgate_Conspiracy_Coverart.png

I feel like no one but me remembers this game, but it was amazing and set the stage for things like Control later.
Psi-Ops and Second Sight are a great double feature of suspiciously similar PS2 psychokinesis sci-fi thriller action games that somehow both came out in the summer of 2004. Despite all that they're still very different where it counts.

dong

Dec 28, 2021
Based on your examples I interpret your definition of underappreciated to mean games with the greatest disconnect between critical acclaim and the amount the game is cited within the popular gaming discourse. From that standpoint I would probably say something like Stephen's Sausage Roll is the most underappreciated, an incredibly intricate and difficult puzzle game that has had exceptional influence, particularly on independent game designers.

But, if I could change the meaning of underappreciated to refer to games that have had significant impact on modern games yet are rarely discussed, I would throw out Passage. Though, as a quick aside I would point out that the developer, Jason Rohrer, is someone I would politely describe as "controversial". Because I am citing his work in a public forum, I want to make sure I do not ignore this aspect of the creator and thus cannot blindly endorse his work, but still feel there is value discussing his art.

That said, to those unfamiliar, Passage (fully playable at the link) is an extremely short (~5 minutes) experimental game about....

"Literally" the game is about the passing of time and inevitability of death, but more thematically the game is about choice, consequence, and control.

The game is presented horizontally, and as the player progresses they age, visually depicted in the sprite work and the player physically moving within the camera view from the far left to the far right of the screen. While the right side is initially foggy, as the game progresses it becomes clear and the left side of the screen is muddied. The player also has the opportunity to move vertically through the world to explore further, through the numerical value increasing as they progress to the right (an abstract representation of progress, perhaps a metaphorical "age" meter) will never decrease.

What this project expressed more explicitly than other games at the time was the visual metaphor presentable through the language of games, and how the choices players make in games can have dramatic emotional impact because the player is making the decisions. Visually, the future (right side of screen) becomes clearer as you age while the past (left side) gets forgotten, and the impact of aging on the character sprite and player movement is felt directly. This is almost a simplified version of MGS 4 microwave sequence, with the player physical feels the character's age.

Thematically, the game offers true choices and consequences in the most simplistic but impactful ways possible. You have the opportunity to gain a partner to join you on your journey, but they add to the physical space your character occupies making navigating tight spaces impossible. As the game progresses the characters age together, exploring the world as a two. Near the end of the journey, the partner dies, leaving the player once again alone, though this time at the end of their life. Is the heartbreak of having a partner die before the player worth the comradery the player feels exploring the world with a companion? Is the added difficulty of decision making and navigating the world with another person worth the erasure of loneliness experienced if an individual tackled these experiences alone?

Thematically the game is straightforward - I really didn't need that writeup, anyone who plays the game will "get it" - but this type of expression wasn't as mainstream at the time, especially not in flash games, and I believe paved the way for a significant increase in experimentation and desire to push the limits on what games can really mean as works of expression.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Super Metroid sold more than a million copies.

And yet its almost always in a conversation for the GOAT video game due to its insanely brilliant level design.

Granted people on this site are very familiar with the game but I wonder if the gaming public at large has played it or knows much about it. I would guess most gamers know of Samus (and probably several other characters) via Smash Brothers.

I would also include most of the Saturn's library and the best games on every other failed console.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I don't think Super Metroid sold more than a million copies.

And yet its almost always in a conversation for the GOAT video game due to its insanely brilliant level design.

Granted people on this site are very familiar with the game but I wonder if the gaming public at large has played it or knows much about it. I would guess most gamers know of Samus (and probably several other characters) via Smash Brothers.

I would also include most of the Saturn's library and the best games on every other failed console.

It is really strange to think how much smaller Metroid is as a franchise than its Nintendo peers, at least when we're talking sheer sales numbers. Super Metroid was my favorite game growing up and so I suppose I always assumed that it was as big to everyone else as it was to me. Even Dread, though it did well, didn't exactly set the sales world on fire.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It is really strange to think how much smaller Metroid is as a franchise than its Nintendo peers, at least when we're talking sheer sales numbers. Super Metroid was my favorite game growing up and so I suppose I always assumed that it was as big to everyone else as it was to me. Even Dread, though it did well, didn't exactly set the sales world on fire.
Metroid is still pretty well known all things considered but I agree with you on the disconnect in how its viewed online and via publications and with the population at large.

When you think about it most gamers starting gaming AFTER the PS1. The industry was way smaller before that. And different regions focused on different systems, titles, etc.

I think you could honesty say most great Sega and arcade games are criminally underappreciated. I really think Daytona in the arcade is one of the best games I have ever played but how many people have ever played it in the arcade? Or honestly even been to a non Dave Busters Chuck E Cheese arcade?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, one of my favorite games ever made, like 3 people have heard of it on Era

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Actually, yeah. I feel like no one has really managed to articulate the "special something" that BotW has. It's absolutely there, but discussions tend to try and distill things into checklists of "does BotW have X or Y relative to other games," and I feel like that misses the point when the things that make BotW special are the moment-to-moment craftsmanship, the develeoper's "invisible hand," etc. But those are really abstract concepts -- things you feel while playing but that are difficult to put into words. It deserves its GOAT status, but I feel the dialogue around it barely scratches the surface.

BOTW is not "underappreciated", jfc. And the stuff you talk about is mentioned ALL THE TIME lmao

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Golden Sun

I know it has its fans, but it has a fantastic mix of flashy turn based RPG combat and terrific Zelda-style dungeons/puzzles that no other game has really replicated.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Indies are almost always underappreciated unless they are FNAF or Undertale levels of success. So I'll leave out indies.

I'd say Astro Bot, Lone Echo / Echo VR, and Half Life Alyx are all heavily underappreciated. They are the most revolutionary AAA/AA games of the last decade, but get very little time in the spot light.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most overlooked last gen was Full Metal Furies. A great co-op title, reviewed pretty well, but just didn't gain much traction.

I think Rain World is under rated, but at least that has a cult fan base.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Evil With 1. It's by far the best tps action horror game since RE4 and 100000000000x better than it's broken overrated sequel

May 31, 2021
EGS_Prey_ArkaneStudios_S1_2560x1440-66103490180b56a8a132ae2487e18f2f

It "only" got 81 (and a poor 75% recommend). And sales were lackluster (-60% in the UK at launch compared to Dishonored 2 which was already -38% down compared to the first game).

The world failed Prey.

3vxz.jpg
That 75% recommend rating is ridiculous man lol Prey is one of my favorite games and I would kill for a sequel...😭

Gravity Rush and Until Dawn are great mentions too.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I hope to see more people give Library of Ruina a shot, the gameplay has a lot of depth and the story is very engaging, way more than I expected, lots of really great memorable characters, an engrossing and interesting storyline and great music.

And trains!

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Depends on what kind of underappreciated you're going for. Critically? Unironically I think Destiny is super underappreciated critically/awards wise and doesn't get enough credit for the amazing, living world and story it has created with lore to rival amazing sci-fi books + fantastic gameplay systems.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
You got me. It was actually 41.

www.gameawards.net

We're tracking Game of the Year (GOTY) awards from around the world. Discover what media outlets and players voted as the best titles every year.

Honestly there's a dope game in there. I've been playing through it recently and it's waaaaay better than I expected because of the review scores. Yeah there were technical issues, but a ~50 MC makes me think it had a lot more issues than technical issues. After a year+ of patches, I've had no issues while playing it on a One X. And the game itself has been super great. I'm not THAT surprised by the number considering the hype levels + the fact that surely some people got through it major glitch free.

Waiting4East

Aug 27, 2021
Its a hard question to answer since there are so many. Especially indie games. Some I play and I am like, "why isn't this much bigger then it is." There are lke four or five indie games a year I absolutely love but barely get a mention anywhere, on here or podcasts.
Indie games often face this problem. Maybe we need a thread where no self-promotion is allowed at all, and only the indie games we really like are recommended

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The answer will always be Prey.
Recent example is Inscryption, game got a lot of buzz for a bit but that didn't last and it seems people straight up dismissed it.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon gets kinda overlooked even by the PMD fanbase. It's got the best gameplay in the series imo and I'd say it's the 2nd best after 2 but a lot of people will still say to skip it. Feels like Gates poisoned the waters for any games after Sky so a lot of people dont even give Super a chance.
Super was pretty good yeah. Story wise it's definitely up there, though I didn't really like some of the gameplay changes they made. And as far as postgame was concerned, it just didn't seem as enjoyable to keep playing after the story compared to the DS titles. The connection orb thing was weird. As a fan of the series it was still a blast though.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
The Forgotten City
I haven't played it yet and I already know that it's incredibly underrated (in a sense that it's not getting a lot of buzz despite scoring incredibly well).

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They are Billions

store.steampowered.com

They Are Billions on Steam

They Are Billions is a Steampunk strategy game set on a post-apocalyptic planet. Build and defend colonies to survive against the billions of the infected that seek to annihilate the few remaining living humans. Can humanity survive after the zombie apocalypse?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
The first game that popped into my head was Death Stranding. However, I feel as if the general feeling on that game has only increased past it's launch.

Pound for pound, best hiking simulator of all time.

In reality, there is some indie game that fits the bill on this better.

I think the Pathless is one of the best games I played last year and the score is one of the best ever recorded for a video game.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Mass Effect: Andromeda. People hate it for what it isn't (an exact copy of the Mass Effect trilogy) instead of focusing on what it is, which is a fun as hell game about space colonists finding a foothold in a far-off galaxy. Also it has the best gameplay in the entire series, without question.
mea_movie_night_0019_Layer_19.jpg