• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If they lay idle then 6-7 hours rings true for me.

If there's even a slight hint of rumble in the game, it's 4 at best
I have noticed that it goes quicker during rumble intensive games. I remember my Overwatch days of being a Mercy main, where her damage-boost causes a constant rumble for as long as it's engaged, the controller definitely lasted less hours during those days.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Better build quality. The DS4 is shockingly bad, even the V2 ones; the amount of defective ones we've had returned to the shop is absolutely insane.

Other than that: get rid of the touchpad and give better placement for the left analog stick and options and share buttons. Also at least twice the battery life.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
No lightbar. That was a pretty worthless feature and it only served to decrease the already low battery life and create a distraction reflecting on your screen (thank God for electrical tape). Still can't believe Sony only ever patched in an option to dim it, and not turn it off altogether.

It was shown the track pad was what actually drains the battery, not the light bar. And, as others said, it's currently needed for Psvr.

Oct 29, 2017
BTW, for all those asking for them to remove the light bar or the touch pad... That's not going to be possible if they plan to incorporate backwards compatibility into the console...

Anyway, I expect the DS5's main new features to be HD Rumble and NFC. They're gonna rip off the Switch Pro Controller absolutely wholesale, because that is exactly how Sony operates and always has done.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
better sticks, triggers and battery. Get rid of sharp edges and create a more ergonomic grip(gamecube-ish) instead of the wiener handles but unless they move to haptic or do a redesign I don't see it happening.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It was shown the track pad was what actually drains the battery, not the light bar. And, as others said, it's currently needed for Psvr.
Is it? I haven't needed it the times I've used my PSVR, is it only certain games?

It's an unneeded annoyance. If they ultimately decide it's needed for VR, give us the option to turn it the hell off out of VR.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
DS4 is a competent controller with an awful batterylife.

I get roughly 4-5 hours from both of my controllers and that's just awful.
In a perfect world I would like them to make the jump to asymetric sticks but that wont happen so the batterylife is good enough for me :P
Do you own any of the "V2" controllers? I can usually get 10+ out of my 25th anniversary controller

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To help get around the battery life I have 2 controllers and a little charging dock. When one taps out I just tag the other one in

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Better Battery life really all I'd need.
I doubt we'd get anything really good like Paddles on a default controller and something like fully customizable buttons would be a console U.I thing more than a controller thing.
Push To Talk button
lyedjq4.jpg
That's a really good idea.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Wireless charging, with PS5 base console to charge it or using extended charger pad.
This would honestly be fantastic.
Throw in a couple of paddles so that they can replace L3/R3 (which I honestly dislike) or give more options and I think that's all I would really want (build quality and battery life are not features).

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Like you, OP, I felt that the touchpad was useless...until I played God of War. The option to remove the HUD and pull it up temporarily by grazing the touchpad is genius. Playing through BB again and really wish the feature was in every game

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
IMO, not existing.
this comes from a new controller will enable Sony to do the same they did from PS3 to PS4, deny the usage of the older control. all my DS3 even tho have all the same core features became unusable trash on PS4, which means I had to buy a set of controllers once again for MP with my friends.

Oct 30, 2017
São Paulo
I think they can't remove the Touch Pad if they want to give Retro with PS4. I like the DS4, they only need to add an option to turn off the light - they will not remove it because PSVR support.

I'm ok with the battery life I think ppl forgot to recharge they controllers because I can play everyday without stopping to recharge. When I'm not playing the controller is charging.

The real problem for me was the cheap quality in some materials like the Analog stick.

Last edited:

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Bigger battery, xbox like sticks but bigger, no gimmicks like lightbar or touchpad. And please don't ape joycons, most uncomfortable controllers on sale.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Remove the led thing and improve battery life. Doesn't need anything else tbh.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just keep it simple, but higher quality.

No touchscreen, no controller sounds, better battery life, grip texture on the back, more premium looking colors.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Better battery, paddles, rumble triggers.

I don't care about gyro or touch - let users use PS4 pads for any BC stuff that needs them. I play 99% of my PS4 time with an Xbox One controller and there's very very rarely any issues related to not having touch and gyro.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the rubbery Options and Share buttons. The big middle button also fees superfluous. The Switch and Xbone have much better controllers in my mind, it's time for Sony to branch out a bit.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It should have a large screen to allow off tv play, and allow Lego city undercover to be played as intended.
Also no more immersion breaking map screens.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Split or touch bumpers and grip buttons, in addition to what the DS4 already had.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Not much, I really think DS4 is close to perfection.
I do play wired with super long cheap micro USB cable though.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Sony could copy the analog triggers with rumble motors or HD Rumble.

I hope not. I love the ergonomics of the Xbox One controller, but the rumble in the triggers is awful for me. And in some games they vibrate so much that they make a terrible noise. Recore was one of those games.

My wishes:
- Keep the touchpad (it is nice when utilized, like in Killzone Shadow Fall)
- Keep the headphone jack. It was the best feature in the DS4
- Keep the share button (even if you don't "share", it is still nice for taking screenshots for yourself). Maybe call it "capture"
- paddles
- decent battery usage. If I'm not mistaken it is not that the battery is terrible, but it just uses too much energy. (it is not the lightbar, maybe the touchpad?)
- surprise us

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
eInk touchscreen instead of touchpad. It would not affect battery life much [I hope it will get a size boost, no matter what], it would add new functionality and preserve DS4 compatibility.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same as PS4 controller, but totally up the quality of everything & make it super premium.

No new gimmicks.

Well, the only thing I'd allow is paddles.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly the same layout as the DS4 but with a better battery, paddles, wireless charging, and USB C.

No asymmetrical stick garbage or changing the D-Pad or face buttons. The triggers are also good already.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Comparable replaceable battery life to the Xbox One controller.
USB-C

Beyond that, I want to be surprised by their improvements.

Edit: ⬆️ Oh, good call. Adding USB-C

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with DS4 is the front facing LED which does reflect in the TV screen way too often. The rest are perfectly fine. I also have an XB1 controller, and DS4 is miles better IMO in both build quality and ergonomics.