• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Steve Dillon. I never cared for his work.

Also OP I love Adam Kubert but you're not playing fair by using an obviously much older material to show off Andy's art. His work on Batman with Grant Morrison is great imo.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ramos doesn't work for me at all, and Bachalo can be really hit or miss. They're not bad artists, it's just that I have a hard time reading books they illustrate, because I find their respective styles distracting.

Someone mentioned J. Scott Campbell, I find him super tacky. He's like the Razer of comics illustrators.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Greg Capullo. His Bruce Wayne has a tiny baby face in the middle of his giant hamhock head and it's just terrible.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Steve Dillon. I never cared for his work.
Don't like to speak ill of the dead but I was never a fan, he did small stuff in 2000ad but then he followed Dave Gibbons, Cam Kennedy and Brett Ewins and took over Rogue Trooper and I remember thinking "WTF is this shit?". It was also jarring seeing a beautiful Glenn Fabry Preacher cover just to have Dillon's work on the inside. His original work is worth a lot now, more than Fabry, Kennedy or Ewins, though not quite at Gibbons levels. Wish I'd bought some in the 80's but my sense of good taste wouldn't allow it.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yes. It was a literal joke between and my partner, both huge Emma Fans, that the only way she would wear that outfit is if it was literally the only outfit available.

And even then she'd still consider going naked.

The way Bendis wrote Emma seemed to be determined to make her a joke character because... Reasons?

And of course this fucking thing.
3815133-screenshot%20%281%29.png

This is supposed to be the same woman who stays ahead of every fashion trend and defines her own fashion trends.

Is there a reason he started drawing her with gold/yellow skin like she is Elixer? I'm just past Battle of the Atom in my X-Men read-thru and she's still being drawn pale white like normal.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ramos doesn't work for me at all, and Bachalo can be really hit or miss. They're not bad artists, it's just that I have a hard time reading books they illustrate, because I find their respective styles distracting.

Someone mentioned J. Scott Campbell, I find him super tacky. He's like the Razer of comics illustrators.

He's the Axe Body Spray of artists.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually find that every artist has a spot where they shine. I don't like dismissing an artists whole portfolio because they don't particulary match the tone of the series they are illustrating. Frazer Irving in Morrison's Batman & Robin, for example. I love his work, but maybe it wasn't the best choice for that book.

That being said, I've never seen anything done by John Romita Jr. and thought that it didn't look like ass. He's simply not a good artist, if you ask me.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
MĹ“bius. I mean I fucking love his art but usually the stories he works on are not for me. Something like Incal is most overrated comic ever, beautiful art but beyond that it's kind of a meh.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's like a two year age difference; not that drastic.

It can be a pretty big difference when youre young in the industry, actually, because you tend to be a lot more inconsistent. Andy got started in comics much earlier than Adam did, Adam went to medical school instead and back then young artists were just told to draw like Jim Lee. Plus, those spot illustrations back in the day for promo stuff were done in a really rushed manner, so its not a great comparison with how much time they get these days per book.

I also graduated from the Kubert School and met both of them, so Im a bit biased :P

Oct 25, 2017
Quietly is fantastic, as is Allred. For very different reasons. "But potato face" is a pretty terrible take, but then again I think comic fans often have bad taste in art and design.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Gary Frank if just for the weird ass faces/expressions. Or at least I think it's Gary Frank I'm thinking about with the weird under/over bite thing in Superman comics. I can't remember now.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still to this day, Romita Jr is one of my favorite comic book artists. His work on DC recently is... not great but before then dude just NAILED how Spidey looks and moves.
My man! He has such a wonderful style and everything he does feels really tangible and solid and nice and chunky... I love it so much.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

God yes. I can't believe fantastic artists like Allred and Quietly get dragged in this thread. This right here is what bad comic art from a successful and prolific artist looks like.

MĹ“bius. I mean I fucking love his art but usually the stories he works on are not for me. Something like Incal is most overrated comic ever, beautiful art but beyond that it's kind of a meh.

He didn't even write the Incal, and he's one of the best artists to ever work in comics. Let's not rag on him for someone elses writing.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Humberto Ramos is the big one for me. I have bought a ton of Spider-Man trades in the last few weeks and it sucks that the stories are so good because Ramos is so bad.

One that jumps out in my mind is Howard Porter. I love the 90's Grant Morrison JLA books (especially the roster) but Howard Porter fucks up a ton of Super-Man's faces and it is so off-putting to me.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Frank Quitely
Andrea Sorrentino
Rob Liefeld
Fraser Irving
Humberto Ramos
Alex Ross
Mikel Janin

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Still to this day, Romita Jr is one of my favorite comic book artists. His work on DC recently is... not great but before then dude just NAILED how Spidey looks and moves.
You kinda feel like he's at the end of his carreer but I still enjoy his art.

His work on 80's/90's Marvel books is soooo fucking good. From his start on Uncanny X-Mem where you actually see his growth from issue to issue, his Daredevil run with Ann Nocenti and his loooong stint on Spidey. Dude is a legend.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I feel like we're being harsh on Pat Lee...

By forgetting the awful stuff he did for Marvel, like House of M Iron Man.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Is there a reason he started drawing her with gold/yellow skin like she is Elixer? I'm just past Battle of the Atom in my X-Men read-thru and she's still being drawn pale white like normal.
That's just how the coloring was done in that comic. All the Caucasian characters have that skin tone.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I know this is blasphemy but I've never been a fan of George Perez's work.

mOTAlvo.jpg

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it technically. It's usually very well done and very technically detailed and no doubt the man is talented. I just don't like the style of it and I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's something to do with the way it's usually inked or maybe I'm just not a fan of the way it still leans towards the Bronze Age look or maybe I just don't like the way he draws faces.
Alan Davis.

Not because his art is ugly, but because I can't stand everyone having the two middle fingers touching thing in EVERY. DAMN. PANEL.

alan-davis-2.jpeg
RS_DH_DC.jpg
DCd99mnVYAAnbid.jpg

George Perez and Alan Davis are the hottest takes I've seen yet. Both are top notch to me, and have been for decades. Perez on NTT and Davis on Excalibur are iconic to me. But I appreciate that both of these weren't just hot takes but did provide some explanation. However if someone brings up the likes of Art Adams, Chris Sprouse, etc. then we have a fight on our hands.

Can't believe people think Romita Jr. used to be bad.

jrjrhodcover_sm1.jpg

TeukHQP5_0110172324021gpauxiu.jpg

tumblr_luelk9TMca1r5fe0fo1_1280.jpg

I actually loved the blocky style that Romita Jr. had when he did Spider-man, Daredevil, even his second stint with the X-men.

Some artists, it depends on the project:
Ramos is very cartoony and loose, and I like him better on characters like Impulse or Spider-man. I think he's gotten better with his layouts, though.

Bagley is another one where I don't love his art, but I think he did a great job on Spider-man, but his stint on Justice League was... mediocre. I'm not sure if that's because I associate him so much with Spider-man and Marvel or what.

Bachalo has a great style but it's so chaotic. I couldn't tell what was going on at all in his Image series, and even his X-men run was so chaotic. I feel like he's regressed since his Gen X days.

And lastly two artists I think improved a ton:
Someone mentioned Jae Lee but I remember when he was a hot artist on Namor and I just couldn't make heads or tails of a lot of his panelwork. By the time he got to Inhumans he seemed a lot more refined.

Travis Charest was like the cloniest of Jim Lee clones when he started out, but (ironically) by the time he took over WildCATs I actually preferred his work over Jim's.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
He didn't even write the Incal, and he's one of the best artists to ever work in comics. Let's not rag on him for someone elses writing.

Yeah, I know that's why I said stories he worked on. But instead I should have said I dislike Jodorowsky's writing. I also dislike many other collabs he has done. Beyond art Incal is just another three star comic for me. Dude is GOAT but I can easily skip mountain of his work because the stories aren't for me.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
Greg Capullo is pretty overrated to me. Most of his characters who aren't wearing masks often look similar while also looking overly aloof. I like some of his work, but overall nah.

Also every artist that has worked on Joshua Williamson's Flash run

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Greg Capullo is pretty overrated to me. Most of his characters who aren't wearing masks often look similar while also looking overly aloof. I like some of his work, but overall nah.

Also every artist that has worked on Joshua Williamson's Flash run

I actually kind of liked Capullo's early, pre Spawn style, especially his work on Quasar. Maybe that was the inker, though.

One guy I never really "got" was David Finch. He certainly puts a ton of detail into his work but the faces always seem off and probably because of his Top Cow roots he always comes off to me as a Silvestri clone.

Also Stephen Platt. I get that drawing lots of details and lines is cool, but some of his art just has no depth at all so I can't tell what the heck is going on. He is vastly improved from his first stint on Moon Knight, though, when he was thrust into the spotlight despite being super green.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't going to be a popular opinion here, especially since I know ComicsEra loves him, but I cannot stand Szymon Kudranski. Don't @ me.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a legit dark admission but I don't really like Greg Capullo's art that much. I don't dislike it but if I never saw anything by him again I would be fine.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Frazier Irving for sure. I actually liked his work in Seven Soldiers of Victory, but that's it. His style is so bizarre and I truly cannot stand the way he draws most faces.

I respect that people like him. But it's certainly not for me

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
wow, dumping on quietly (as always), allred and kuberts on page 1...scust

who's on ASM these days again? i dug invincible but his style isn't great for me there. some stuff (like the last run of Thor) takes me getting used to

i'm kinda glad we're past ashley wood or whoever on horror stuff; action scenes were always a blurry mess (though that digital MGS comic actually made their busted style work)

Blunt

Oct 26, 2017
Chalk me up as another one that's soured on Alex Ross' art over the years. I can still read Marvels/Kingdom Come because the stories are great and his style is well suited to them but anything he writes and draws himself I find lifeless and pontificating.

Is Jason Fabok popular ? I certainly wouldn't call his stuff bad per se but it really doesn't do anything for me.

And anyone who says Steve Dillon is wrong. I was devastated when he died (I will admit that his style never was suited to super hero stuff though).