• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So the big question is. before the conference we all expected Microsoft to knock google down a peg, but what I saw it didn't.. they did not really go into a lot of detail into x cloud as a service and what you can expect!

So what does it offer exactly? does it do it better? cheaper? more games? all big questions still.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like Google caught both Amazon and MS with their pants down.
Remote Play is fantastic though, so hope Xbox guys enjoy it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, perfectly well aware that Remote Play existed on PS3, but the post I responded to was talking about the PS4 and - more importantly - Remote Play on PS3 really isn't a great point of comparison here. Only a few PS3 games were compatible, the main attraction was PSOne games, the controls were a fudge, and the PSP was limited to 802.11b so image quality was a bit messy even on a PSP screen. The Vita improved things a bit, but there were still huge limitations (mostly on the PS3 side), and it was only with the PS4 that those limitations were removed and the service became something that might appeal to a wide spread of gamers.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The whole 'for free' clearly means the cloud version will be an additional subscription cost. Looking at maybe $20 if you include streaming and the ultimate gamepass?

Sony have had this for a while but only recently on iOS - was only pc/Mac and Sony vita/Xperia before

I assume Sony does something similar and adds the remote streaming part - they already have PS4 cloud servers for ps now
Yes, I think the best guess right now would be that xCloud lets you stream your disc-based and downloaded games from your own Xbox at no cost, with some cost (in some form) if you want to stream from Microsoft's cloud. There were a lot of people assuming that it'd be free to stream your own games (and that could still hypothetically be true), but I think the ongoing cost to Microsoft mean that some kind of payment will be necessary.

We got like no info, pretty sure it was a single sentence.

Was hoping I would be able to stream MS games without an xb1
I think that no matter what the specific details at the launch of each of these services, including xCloud, they're all going to converge on adding whatever features are technically possible, and they're all going to converge on price. One of the common features is almost certainly going to be hardware independence, so the ability to stream to any device (that the service providers can get approval to release upon) without needing to own specific hardware.

That means yeah, it's virtually certain you'll be able to stream Microsoft games to devices like a PC or a mobile phone, without owning an Xbox.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty suprised how bad the entire xcloud part was.
Thought MS was going to really offer a great counter towards Stadia and the lackluster reveal.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Vinny;s question on GB asking if streaming from the cloud will let you stream x1x quality to an x1s. That'd be good for me - I have no interest to update right now until next gen so that would be an option I'd consider paying for

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I did not expect after stadias info that I would know even less about xcloud after MS's conference. It really looks like they are saving everything for next year and it gives stadia a huuuuuge advantage.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox console streaming = Remote Play

xCloud = PS Now & Stadia

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, you can use your smartphone to control PS4 remotely. I'm sure MS's technology would produce better results and be more consistent (at least until Sony migrates to Azure) but it's a shame that they didn't take the advantage of this conference to show sth meaningful regarding XCloud or Next XBox.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Their information on xcloud just made me more interested in stadia since they gave no info on xcloud

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Technically you could do it with PS1 games and a VERY select few games on PS3 with a PSP

Yes, since 2007. People should keep that in mind before they try and claim Sony has to "catch up" in the streaming market.

I liked Vinny;s question on GB asking if streaming from the cloud will let you stream x1x quality to an x1s. That'd be good for me - I have no interest to update right now until next gen so that would be an option I'd consider paying for

We know the xCloud servers us One S hardware. You will not get One X quality anytime soon.

Yes, you can use your smartphone to control PS4 remotely. I'm sure MS's technology would produce better results and be more consistent (at least until Sony migrates to Azure) but it's a shame that they didn't take the advantage of this conference to show sth meaningful regarding XCloud or Next XBox.

For console streaming/remote play the cloud infrastructure has no bearing on your experience. It's how good the internet is at your house, in your current location, and how far away you are.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already answered but it means that you can use your Xbox to stream stuff to a device over the internet, not just LAN like it is now.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Similarly, I am wondering if xcloud will be like stadia and allow us to run the next-gen xbox games in 2021 via streaming on xbox one's (specifically the X)? I'd rather not have to buy an entire new console during the first year or two.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain to me what they mean with that console streaming? Phil Spencer talked about your console to be a server? So thats a idea to give you better quality at home right? Because a console is most of the time wired and can give you for example better streaming when your are using your phone?
I think
xCloud = MS version of PS Now
Console streaming = MS version of Remote Play

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Can't Xbox Ones already do this to PCs through the Xbox app? (It barely worked for me from memory)