• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
To test your reflexes. If you're failing them... you're getting old grandpa.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so Resident Evil 4 has terrible game design now?

AggressiveTepidChrysalis-size_restricted.gif
The QTEs being instant-death and giving the player half the time to react at 60 FPS (on PC at least) is bad game design.
Watching someone else fail the QTEs at the end of the lengthy minecart sequence in RE4 several times in a row and having to play it all over again - with the first death being because they put down the controller during a cutscene - made this very clear.
It's not a perfect game.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
To keep you from falling asleep and to get you to pay attention to the max. It's an effective trick.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but my point is - at least a cutscene only plays once, and gets the story across. A failed QTE has to play twice (or more), meaning it's neither a success as gameplay, nor as a cutscene any more.
If the fail state is interesting or funny, I think it can make for something more memorable. In general, repeat QTEs are brief... if it makes me watch a minutes-long unskippable scene every time, yeah, that would suck.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
They're fun depending on the context. The finale to the Wonderful 101 wouldn't have been as cool if that button prompt wasn't there.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Until Dawn was QTE: The Game.

I loved it and hated it at the same time.

I think Until Dawn is an example of QTEs done right.

Everything has a consequence so the stakes are raised. Unlike other games where you have to go through the same sequence of qtes if you failed until you get it right, Until Dawn will just let what happened play out good or bad.

Also was a big fan of the don't move the controller to keep silent, and the split second decisions you have to make. It's a game that has great stakes thanks to the mechanics.

It's okay in RE4 with Krauser, but if you fail and have to watch the same cutscene and sequence of qtes for a second or third time the design really makes you hate it.

It's not as bad when you don't insta-fail but instead get an another prompt, but I like that games have moved away from them.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's the pure essence of trial and error, which people seem to like. It's not unlike learning to beat a boss in Sekiro by fighting it dozens of times and trying to memorize its attack patterns and which buttons to press in certain situations, if you think about it. It's like that but condensed to the absolute minimum. Press X. Press A. Press Up. Wrong button? Fail, try again from the start. Try to memorize it better next time.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so Resident Evil 4 has terrible game design now?

AggressiveTepidChrysalis-size_restricted.gif
Yeah it's interesting that Resident Evil 4 - one of the most praised games of all time - along two other fan-favorites (Shenmue and God of War) made QTEs what they were for a long time. But suddenly QTEs became a sign of bad and lazy game design?!

IMO, as long as they are implemented well (just like any other gameplay feature), there is nothing bad about QTEs.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade is clearly the champ of this.

a314a4c256b68355beb549e7266a4d8c1a20a7c1.gifv

If you fail, you get into a fight that you otherwise wouldn't have had to. Or you take some damage that otherwise you wouldn't have had to. You get this cool change of pace, you get some neat camera angles, nothing gets repeated, and the player is still engaged.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're tense. Fighting Krauser in the RE4 cutscene is always super intense and leads to me sitting forward.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Wonderful 101 were really fun as 4th wall breaks. Really felt like the whole game was a tv show.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I didn't really get the point of adding "failable" in there, but now that I think about it if there were QTEs where your button options detirmined what happened, but they finished regardless, it could be pretty great. I'm sure that's been done before.

TRUSTNO1

Banned
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't really get the point of adding "failable" in there, but now that I think about it if there were QTEs where your button options detirmined what happened, but they finished regardless, it could be pretty great. I'm sure that's been done before.
Yeah, Until Dawn did exactly that.

Oct 27, 2017
There was a time when I thought qte heavy games like heavy rain were a great way to get my non gamer family and friends to play some games. Turns out they don't like qtes either. They were an interesting idea but compelling gameplay it's not.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
theyre a very artificial way to "engage" the player.

QTEs add nothing.

Going to have to disagree very hard here

Microwave snake would not have been the same if it was just a cutscene,

Several spoilerffic moments in The KH3 DLC wouldn't have been the same if it was just a cutscene

(almost made that awful story worth it actually, ...almost)

The entirely of Asura's Wrath wouldn't have been as fun if it was simply animated film (though it probably would have been just as pleasing to look at I bet)

I think that QTE's are simply tools and just like tools in real life, they can be used rather skillfully or very poorly.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
One of the absolute worst implementations is actually in one of the best games ever made. RE4 throws them at you in the middle of cutscenes when you're not expecting them and the result is that you have to watch the cutscene again from the beginning. Just, why?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Going to have to disagree very hard here

Microwave snake would not have been the same if it was just a cutscene,

Several spoilerffic moments in The KH3 DLC wouldn't have been the same if it was just a cutscene

(almost made that awful story worth it actually, ...almost)

The entirely of Asura's Wrath wouldn't have been as fun if it was simply animated film (though it probably would have been just as pleasing to look at I bet)

I think that QTE's are simply tools and just like tools in real life, they can be used rather skillfully or very poorly.

fair enough. There are certain instances like Asura's Wrath where they're fine and that's because the game is designed around them.

But for the most part, like in OPs example. They're a really cheap way to have "engaging" cutscenes.

I love deadly premonition. Finally played it last month but the absolute worst part was the instant fail QTEs that set the player back a few minutes and felt like they added nothing.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quantic Dream games actually account for failures and integrate them in their games' plot to a point, like Until Dawn as well. Telltale did that too, sometimes.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I feel like i accomplished something when i not fail in a fail able qte.

Imo QTE are mostly bad in execution rather than the idea itself. Like, i hate how the buttons appear so suddenly most of the time, but if there's any way to know which button need to be pressed in the next seconds, would be really cool.

If you think about it, Guitar Hero is kinda like doing lots of QTEs at the same time, but it's fun because you see from afar when you have to press a button and what button is it. Devs could be inspired by this notion when making qte's.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fair enough. There are certain instances like Asura's Wrath where they're fine and that's because the game is designed around them.

But for the most part, like in OPs example. They're a really cheap way to have "engaging" cutscenes.

I love deadly premonition. Finally played it last month but the absolute worst part was the instant fail QTEs that set the player back a few minutes and felt like they added nothing.

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta go back and finish it, and you are very right, they are pretty bad there.

Felt like Swery was smoking a different blunt then usual when he came up with those, unlike the rest of the game lol

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
As much Quantic Dream and David Cage gets (rightfully) shit on, he did have the right idea with the QTEs.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Thanks for reminding me, I gotta go back and finish it, and you are very right, they are pretty bad there.

Felt like Swery was smoking a different blunt then usual when he came up with those, unlike the rest of the game lol

I think it was just a check list on the "things we need from RE4" lmao. But yeah amazing game and I need the sequel ASAP🤝

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anybody else fail the short QTE early in Assassin's Creed 2? You know the one..
You can't repeat that, I still feel bad :(

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I'm playing The Order 1886 - I know, please send your condolences this way. And among various baffling decisions, fail-able QTEs that cause your character to die are the most pointless. Clearly this isn't gameplay. Me playing Simon Says and being the developer's button-press monkey isn't fulfilling for anyone involved - either they or I.

But the stupid thing is that by making a piece of video - for that is what a cutscene, with or without QTE, is - something that can repeat, they rob it of any effect it may have had even in that limited capacity.

So to recap - QTE cutscenes fail as gameplay, but they also fail as story-telling devices when they have fail-states that cause them to repeat.

Or, in other words - there is no area of videogame development in which a player's failure more greatly reveals the developer's failure.

So I ask: what is the point?
i like how they work in Yakuza they usually occur during bosses and if you fail you are usually just damaged usually never outright killed

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The order 1886 is such a trash fire of a game, i played it for the first time last year, that game puts kojima to shame when it comes to cutscenes, kojima's games have longer cutscenes but the order has to have some kind of a record for number of cutscenes and pointless qte's in the measly 6 hours it takes to beat it.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019
I had to record the TV with my phone and replay in slow motion to get past many QTE scenes in Shenmue II. Great experience.

Deleted member 61326

Banned
Nov 12, 2019

If you fail, you get into a fight that you otherwise wouldn't have had to. Or you take some damage that otherwise you wouldn't have had to. You get this cool change of pace, you get some neat camera angles, nothing gets repeated, and the player is still engaged.

I love the 3D style from older arcade titles. I need to play this game.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna do QTEs, they should be fail-able. They are an utterly pointless button prompt if it's not actually going to affect anything.

Now, I don't think failure in QTEs should result in death either. If they reduce your health, make you repeat a bit of what happened previously, or do something like that, I think that's fine. The best QTEs, however, are the ones that make failing them entertaining without punishing for it too hard, like the ones in The Wonderful 101.

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
The only good QTEs that not only worked but actually added to the experience are the old games - Shenmue, RE4, God of War, Bayonetta. After that it was all downhill, actively souring the gameplay experience.
No. Bayonetta has the worst QTEs ever. I'm talking about the cinematic ones, I hate that they are so punishing to the player.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry for going off topic, but this game looks amazing to me honestly. I would love indie games to embrace the blocky polygonal, PSX texture era like this.

Oct 25, 2017
QTEs are generally pretty weak, but they definitely need to be fail-able. They are literally nothing otherwise. Failure doesn't necessarily need to mean death or restarting, but there absolutely needs to be two states depending on whether or not the button was pressed properly and on time. Otherwise it's not a "quick time event". It's not even an event at all, just a resume cutscene button.

Of course, 90% of the time I'd say a game is better off having not QTEs at all, but if they're present, there must be a risk of messing up.