• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what they want. These white kids cant handle not being the target audience. It's privilege, trans/homophobia, sexism, and racism in its entirety.

I do think it will get better, though. We are seeing many more woman in the lead roles. Colored folk seem to be the next thing that'll take a while.
Personally in my experience this is oversimplifying. Because I've seen non whites who say the same thing as well.
It's sexism and/or misunderstanding feminism.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SJW is just the new term for "Feminazi" cause they needed something new to say.

Always uncomfortable when people used either term unironically.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
do they want Miku to be in every game?
c55028c19282529b969cf1e3717a72a5.gif

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Sadly, this is not unique to the gaming community. I have a few unfortunate friends that get very bent out of shape at inclusive/"SJW" things. Stuff like "Happy Holidays" in December, International Women's Day ("where's muh Men's day?!?"), etc.

They're both straight white guys that have good careers, want for very little and have faced very little adversity. Yet always mad about something, seems like a sad way to live.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, this is not unique to the gaming community. I have a few unfortunate friends that get very bent out of shape at inclusive/"SJW" things. Stuff like "Happy Holidays" in December, International Women's Day ("where's muh Men's day?!?"), etc.

They're both straight white guys that have good careers, want for very little and have faced very little adversity. Yet always mad about something, seems like a sad way to live.
I find it hard to have friends like that. You have to tiptoe around what you say or talk about to them, because you might trigger them to show their inner snowflake.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I find it hard to have friends like that. You have to tiptoe around what you say or talk about to them, because you might trigger them to show their inner snowflake.

Yeah. One of them is a colleague. Last December our marketing folks posted a pre-rendered image that said "Happy Holidays from [Company]" with our logo and said anyone that would like to could share on social media.

Absolutely. Lost. His. Shit.

Like what the hell guy? For starters, you aren't being forced to. Also, in 2 days you won't even remember this and literally has no effect on your life? Couldn't imagine living like that.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Your foot's in your mouth Jeffery. Learn from it and move on. This childish wiggling around and blame fingering doesn't change your words being poorly chosen nor makes taking an absolutism stance on the matter acceptable. I don't know, go away! - isn't something I'd expect from a poster who went to the trouble to get verified as a journalist.

As long as people sit around with this attitude that they can condemn a whole race or sex and that's perfectly OK because there's bad eggs in that group, resentment will grow. You have to be better than your enemies, not stoop to their level. This perhaps has a lot to do with why there's a growing push back against SWJ's. (I hate that term but it's what was used in this post) When you make statements that ALL boys are this or that you then start offending people who aren't part of the problem but are now lumped into it. This more than anything pertains to the subject of this thread: Growing resentment against people trying to advance society.

As the industry moves forward, the toxic people will have less and less bastions of homogenization to hide in. Those who are in actual control, the developers and publishers are on the side of equality and that's all that matters. Look at games like Apex Legends where almost every single character is unique and represented. That game is doing gangbusters! DICE basically said "Fuck you" and made BFV more inclusive. Even "bro" games like Call of Duty now feature characters who are LGBT. (although it's not at the forefront, it still exists) Indie creators are breaking down walls not just for people of color, new genders or beliefs but also making statements on mental health issues and what society is today. Hopefully things like Apple Arcade can enable even more of these types of games that may not be viable otherwise to exist.

There's absolutely no future for racist, sexist or whatever slime people may be in the gaming industry. As far as I see no one's interested in catering to them and before long, they'll be ousted totally. It's inevitable and that's probably what's making them louder every day. Let em cry. It won't stop the future.

I think an interesting question would be: Am I wrong to believe the industry is making these people extinct? As they cry for gaming to be only white, male and straight, are any series actually catering to that? I can't think of any obvious offenders but am I blind to them? Sure there's more work to do but it seems like most series are on the path already in some way.

I never said "all boys," so I really don't know what you are talking about.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Being honest, I didn't really care about representation when I was younger. If it happened, cool, if not...well, I'm a spaniard so we are not represented either way. Over time you grow up, get your head out of your ass, and use that lovely empathy nature gives us, and start seeing why diversity matters. Incidentally, makes games themselves better.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Did you know people Google more about the international men day in March than in the month it actually happens?

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
You don't have to listen to them. You can ignore them

Do you recall around half of people voted for Trump? And they're certainly not all gamers, so what about all those people too
But the people who voted for trump arent all racists and homophobes. Theyre called conservatives and helped build America. Children and idiots of the net dont represent the common people. And dont assume the idiots screaming on twitch, youtube, or any forum for that matter are white guys.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the people who voted for trump arent all racists and homophobes. Theyre called conservatives and helped build America. Children and idiots of the net dont represent the common people. And dont assume the idiots screaming on twitch, youtube, or any forum for that matter are white guys.

Why did you type the same thing twice?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You have met a conservative recently or only read about them in history books?

If you're a conservative,
- you're racist/homophobic/sexist in a blatant or veiled manner
- or you support racist/homophobic/sexist policies and legislature, which is basically the same thing as the first but given enough distance so you don't have to think about your beliefs and can convince yourself that it's a matter of law, safety, the Constitution, taxes, being against regulation, protecting American culture, etc

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019

- or you support racist/homophobic/sexist policies and legislature, which is basically the same thing as the first but given enough distance so you don't have to think about your beliefs and can convince yourself that it's a matter of law, safety, the Constitution, taxes, being against regulation, protecting American culture, etc
This is 100% not true.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you're conservative then you're at the very least okay with racism, homophobia, sexism, and so on. That's not a meaningful distinction.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why did you type the same thing twice?

completely dumb takes

There are some conservatives who only care about the fiscal, business, tax, money side of politics. And only vote for those personal reasons

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The "conservative" movement in America atm is hardly conservative in the broad sense of the term ("preserve the status quo and implement change gradually and carefully"), they're more like a reactionary far-right group ("i want things to return to a glorious past that doesn't exist, and also undo all civil rights gains done in the last decade or more").

There are some conservatives who only care about the fiscal, business, tax, money side of politics. And only vote for those personal reasons

Max Boot (who formerly worked in the Bush administration) came to a conclusion after the election of Trump that the "principled" conservatives who care about the fine details of the ideology are not that numerous, and unfortunately for the average republican voter it's often just a matter of sticking it to people they don't like. And based on what's been happening in the US and other countries in the last few years I think he's right.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

It is impossible to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Liberal politics, in an American sense, requires governmental measures to combat social inequities - it takes money to run Medicaid and Social Security to fight poverty, it takes money to properly administer voting equality, it takes money to enforce anti-discrimination laws, etc. Tax money pays for social programs.

Fiscal conservatism is a patina, a mask, because conservatives simply aren't fiscally conservative. They love spending money on their pet projects, and every conservative administration from Reagan to the present has contributed toward higher spending than their liberal predecessors.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
completely dumb takes

Conservative "Fuck you, got mine" fiscal/business/tax policy?

aka "you support racist/homophobic/sexist policies and legislature, which is basically the same thing as the first but given enough distance so you don't have to think about your beliefs and can convince yourself that it's a matter of law, safety, the Constitution, taxes, being against regulation, protecting American culture, etc"

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
completely dumb takes

Maybe in the USA.

Except the GOP has repeatedly fucked the economy with multiple wars and Trump bullshit. They also are the same kind of rightwing on taxes as some of their European cousins: higher the taxes for everyone by cutting what you can detract, then cut taxes for the richest.

It also signals that conservatives don't give a fuck about minorities as long as they get more money in their pockets. They literally worship the money and put it above people.

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
completely dumb takes

Thank you. The problem here is we're debating with generation Twitter. The gen that thinks it can solve complex world issues with 100 character tweets. The new left quickly tries to stop all discussion by claiming racist or homophobe from the rooftops. Its poor debating and frankly quite uneducated.

My family is mixed. I am a huge supporter of gay, civil and women's rights. I'm open minded and non-confrontational. However, some of my views can be considered right and some left. I have friends on both sides and non are opposite to me.

The right is not racist and homophobic. It's just the right. It's meaning is also being mistaught in schools.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Thank you. The problem here is we're debating with generation Twitter. The gen that thinks it can solve complex world issues with 100 character tweets. The new left quickly tries to stop all discussion by claiming racist or homophobe from the rooftops. Its poor debating and frankly quite uneducated.

My family is mixed. I am a huge supporter of gay, civil and women's rights. I'm open minded and non-confrontational. However, some of my views can be considered right and some left. I have friends on both sides and non are opposite to me.

The right is not racist and homophobic. It's just the right. It's meaning is also being mistaught in schools.
Is there a difference between the fascists putting kids in cages and the conservatives not giving a single fuck about it?

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Okay, how do you justify voting for candidates that are sexist, racist, homophobic, and so on?
Max Boot (who formerly worked in the Bush administration) came to a conclusion after the election of Trump that the "principled" conservatives who care about the fine details of the ideology are not that numerous, and unfortunately for the average republican voter it's often just a matter of sticking it to people they don't like. And based on what's been happening in the US and other countries in the last few years I think he's right.
Glass Arrows I could definitely see that, so I don't disagree with what you say above

Personally I don't vote, but I have a few extended family members who voted for Trump. The only reason is because of money/taxes/business. Because some of them own relatively good-size companies/businesses.

We are racially Chinese, so it's definitely not because those family members are Nazis or KKK members

If I was personally forced to vote, I would also vote for a fiscal conservative. There is no way I would vote for a Democrat, strictly because I fundamentally disagree with their platform regarding taxes/businesses.

But I also could not have voted for Trump because he's too much of a clown personality for me. So I'd have to vote 3rd-party

Mud

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Glass Arrows I could definitely see that, so I don't disagree with what you say above

Personally I don't vote, but I have a few extended family members who voted for Trump. The only reason is because of money/taxes/business. Because some of them own relatively good-size companies/businesses.

We are racially Chinese, so it's definitely not because those family members are Nazis or KKK members

If I was personally forced to vote, I would also vote for a fiscal conservative. There is no way I would vote for a Democrat, strictly because I fundamentally disagree with their platform regarding taxes/businesses.

But I also could not have voted for Trump because he's too much of a clown personality for me. So I'd have to vote 3rd-party
Again, thanks. See guys?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Says common sense and the Republicans very blatant and public platform for at least a decade now. Homophobia, sexism and racism is quite literally part of the parties platform. In fact several very high priority items for them like anti-gay marriage, anti-transsexual, Muslim ban, building a literal wall to keep brown people out, abortion, shall I continue? At the absolute least anyone that votes GOP is ok with those things. For tax breaks. There is no debating this, you're being disingenuous to try.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

In other words they are completely fine with all the racism, homophobia, transphobia, and so on as long as it doesn't directly affect their bottom line. In other words, exactly what I said above.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

"The only reason is because of money/taxes/business" means you're willfully ignoring everything else that conservative policies/legislature supports and only caring about what benefits you.

It's nice to say you're only voting because of money and taxes but your vote doesn't exist in vacuum and doesn't care about your nuance. Your vote isn't for the isolated policy that you like, your vote is for the person and all their policies and agendas

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not that simple that you can sit there and say "I only voted for Trump so that I would make more money" when we have the very real consequences of what Trump is doing affecting us.

Please take a read through some of this, which hasn't been updated in the past few months. The trans military ban is supposed to go into effect next month if you'd like an update on that discrimination.

November 23: The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) erased critical guidance that helped federal agency managers understand how to support transgender federal workers and respect their rights, replacing clear and specific guidance reflecting applicable law and regulations with vaguely worded guidance hostile to transgender workers. While this guidance change did not change the rights of transgender federal workers under applicable law, regulations, Executive Orders, and case law, it is likely to cause confusion and promote discrimination within the nation's largest employer.

August 10, 2018: The Department of Labor released a new directive for Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) staff encouraging them to grant broad religious exemptions to federal contractors with religious-based objections to complying with nondiscrimination laws. It also deleted material from an OFCCP FAQ on LGBT nondiscrimination protections that previously clarified the limited scope of allowable religious exemptions.

June 11, 2018: Attorney General Jeff Sessions ruled that the federal government would no longer recognized gang violence or domestic violence as grounds for asylum, adopting a legal interpretation that could lead to rejecting most LGBT asylum-seekers.

May 11, 2018: The Bureau of Prisons in the Department of Justice adopted an illegal policy of almost entirely housing transgender people in federal prison facilities that match their sex assigned at birth, rolling back existing protections.

March 23, 2018: The Trump Administration announced an implementation plan for its discriminatory ban on transgender military service members.

February 18, 2018: The Department of Education announced it will summarily dismiss complaints from transgender students involving exclusion from school facilities and other claims based solely on gender identity discrimination.

January 26, 2018: The Department of Health and Human Services proposed a rule that encourages medical providers to use religious grounds to deny treatment to transgender people, people who need reproductive care, and others.

January 18, 2018: The Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Civil Rights opened a "Conscience and Religious Freedom Division" that will promote discrimination by health care providers who can cite religious or moral reasons for denying care.

December 14, 2017: Staff at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were instructed not to use the words "transgender," "vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "fetus," "evidence-based," and "science-based" in official documents.

October 6, 2017: The Justice Department released a sweeping "license to discriminate" allowing federal agencies, government contractors, government grantees, and even private businesses to engage in illegal discrimination, as long as they can cite religious reasons for doing so.

October 5, 2017: The Justice Department released a memo instructing Department of Justice attorneys to take the legal position that federal law does not protect transgender workers from discrimination.

September 7, 2017: The Justice Department filed a legal brief on behalf of the United States in the U.S. Supreme Court, arguing for a constitutional right for businesses to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and, implicitly, gender identity.

August 25, 2017: President Trump released a memo directing Defense Department to move forward with developing a plan to discharge transgender military service members and to maintain a ban on recruitment.

July 26, 2017: President Trump announced, via Twitter, that "the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military."

July 26, 2017: The Justice Department filed a legal brief on behalf of the United States in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, arguing that the 1964 Civil Rights Act does not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or, implicitly, gender identity.

June 14, 2017: The Department of Education withdrew its finding that an Ohio school district discriminated against a transgender girl. The Department gave no explanation for withdrawing the finding, which a federal judge upheld.

May 2, 2017: The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced a plan to roll back regulations interpreting the Affordable Care Act's nondiscrimination provisions to protect transgender people.

April 14, 2017: The Justice Department abandoned its historic lawsuit challenging North Carolina's anti-transgender law. It did so after North Carolina replaced HB2 with a different anti-transgender law known as "HB 2.0."

April 4, 2017: The Departments of Justice and Labor cancelled quarterly conference calls with LGBT organizations; on these calls, which had happened for years, government attorneys shared information on employment laws and cases.

March 31, 2017: The Justice Department announced it would review (and likely seek to scale back) numerous civil rights settlement agreements with police departments. These settlements were put in places where police departments were determined to be engaging in discriminatory and abusive policing, including racial and other profiling. Many of these agreements include critical protections for LGBT people.

March 2017: The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) removed links to four key resource documents from its website, which informed emergency shelters on best practices for serving transgender people facing homelessness and complying with HUD regulations.

March 28, 2017: The Census Bureau retracted a proposal to collect demographic information on LGBT people in the 2020 Census.

March 24, 2017: The Justice Department cancelled a long-planned National Institute of Corrections broadcast on "Transgender Persons in Custody: The Legal Landscape."

March 13, 2017: The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced that its national survey of older adults, and the services they need, would no longer collect information on LGBT participants. HHS initially falsely claimed in its Federal Register announcement that it was making "no changes" to the survey.

March 13, 2017: The State Department announced the official U.S. delegation to the UN's 61st annual Commission on the Status of Women conference would include two outspoken anti-LGBT organizations, including a representative of the Center for Family and Human Rights (C-FAM): an organization designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

March 10, 2017: The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced it would withdraw two important agency-proposed policies designed to protect LGBT people experiencing homelessness. One proposed policy would have required HUD-funded emergency shelters to put up a poster or "notice" to residents of their right to be free from anti-LGBT discrimination under HUD regulations.

The other announced a survey to evaluate the impact of the LGBTQ Youth Homelessness Prevention Initiative, implemented by HUD and other agencies over the last three years. This multi-year project should be evaluated, and with this withdrawal, we may never learn what worked best in the project to help homeless LGBTQ youth.

March 8, 2017: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) removed demographic questions about LGBT people that Centers for Independent Living must fill out each year in their Annual Program Performance Report. This report helps HHS evaluate programs that serve people with disabilities.

March 2, 2017: The Department of Justice abandoned its request for a preliminary injunction against North Carolina's anti-transgender House Bill 2, which prevented North Carolina from enforcing HB 2. This was an early sign that the Administration was giving up defending trans people (later, on April 14, it withdrew the lawsuit completely).

March 1, 2017: The Department of Justice took the highly unusual step of declining to appeal a nationwide preliminary court order temporarily halting enforcement of the Affordable Care Act's nondiscrimination protections for transgender people. The injunction prevents HHS from taking any action to enforce transgender people's rights from health care discrimination.

February 22, 2017, 2017: The Departments of Justice and Education withdrew landmark 2016 guidance explaining how schools must protect transgender students under the federal Title IX law.

Other Harmful Trump Administration Actions
The Trump administration has taken many other actions to roll back civil rights and health care protections and target vulnerable communities. While not specifically directed at transgender people or gender identity protections, we list them here because it is critically important that we view our quest for transgender equality as intertwined with other social justice movements. These include attacks on reproductive rights, the Affordable Care Act, refugees and other immigrants and the enforcement of civil rights laws. Many of these actions will also disproportionately harm transgender people. These are just a few examples:

Kicking Americans off Medicaid and Food Stamps: The Trump Administration has taken numerous actions to kick Americans in need off of Medicaid and SNAP coverage. On April 10, Trump signed an executive order directing federal agencies to push for work requirements for low-income people in America who receive federal assistance, including Medicaid and SNAP.

Targeting Reproductive Rights: On October 6, 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services issued a regulation allowing employers and insurers to deny coverage for birth control, as long as they can cite religious reasons for doing so. In April, President Trump and Congress overturned a regulation that protected Planned Parenthood, one of the nation's largest providers of care for transgender people, and other family planning clinics from funding discrimination by states.

Harming Sexual Assault Survivors. On September 7, 2017, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos announced she would withdraw historic guidance on schools' and universities' responsibilities to address sexual assault and sexual harassment. On September 27, 2017, the Department replaced this guidance with flawed and dangerous "interim guidance" tipping the scales against student survivors seeking protection on campus. This is especially dangerous for transgender students, because 47% of transgender adults in the US Transgender Survey were sexual assault survivors.

Cruel and Relentless Attacks on Immigrant Communities. On September 5, 2017, President Trump acted to strip hundreds of thousands of Americans and their families of security, stability, and safety by ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. On April 6, 2018, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a "zero tolerance" policy that separated hundreds of immigrant children from their families. On April 10, a federal official announced that the Department of Justice was halting the Legal Orientation Program, which offers legal assistance to immigrants. On June 11, Attorney General Sessions ruled that domestic or gang violence are not grounds for asylum in the United States. These are just a few of numerous anti-immigrant actions that are especially dangerous for many LGBT immigrants who could face life-threatening violence if deported.

Putting Health Care Out of Reach: On April 13, 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services rolled back numerous Affordable Care Act rules to reduce protections for people seeking and using health insurance. These actions make it harder to enroll in health care plans, allow plans to sharply raise deductibles, and weaken requirements for insurance plans to have in-network providers that serve low-income communities. These changes disproportionately affect people of color and any one with lower incomes, including transgender people. These changes make getting health care coverage harder for people who lose coverage or who depend on community clinics.

Expanding Immigration Detention: The Department of Homeland Security is vastly expanding the number of immigrants held in immigration detention centers nationwide, while also eliminating protections for health and safety in detention centers. Reducing these protections for immigrants who are being detained is wrong, and it's especially dangerous for vulnerable transgender immigrants, many of whom are asylum-seekers who risk extreme abuse.

Banning Muslims and Refugees: On January 27, 2017 and again on March 6, President Trump signed executive orders seeking to ban entry by refugees and travelers from certain Muslim-majority countries and drastically reduce the number of refugees allowed to seek safety in the United States. We cannot stand for a world where people in danger are denied entry because of who they are, including where they come from or whether they are Muslim or any other religion. LGBT refugees are among the many who are fleeing life-threatening persecution because of who they are or what they believe. While the bans were allowed to take effect by the Supreme Court, court cases challenging them continue.

This is what people mean when they say that if you vote for conservatives you are at the very least okay with these kind of policies because none of this in here should be a surprise. These are all directly part of the platforms that they run on.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this article on the esports dress, thought of this thread

Emma Vossen said:
Let me break this down even more. When you are a woman who plays games, you have a few choices if you want to "fit in" with games culture. As a "female gamer", you develop survival techniques that help you participate in games culture. This might be as simple as not identifying yourself as a feminist or declaring a distaste for feminism (many gamers love that), it might be not talking about the phone games you play (many gamers hate phone games), it might mean participating in trash talk (showing that you can give it and take it), it might mean playing games you don't want to play (to show that you are skilled in the games that are popular) it might mean you laugh at rape jokes (it's just a joke right).

Clothes specifically make this phenomenon quite obvious and it is no wonder that what women wear on Twitch is such a controversial topic. Historically, your options as a female gamer are 1) attempt to disguise your more feminine characteristics by not wearing makeup (or wearing what is perceived as no makeup by men and is more likely "natural" looking makeup to give the appearance of so-called "no makeup makeup") and dressing in what is considered "male" clothing, or 2) using makeup and clothing to draw attention towards your feminine characteristics. This is complicated by the fact that as women gamers we are subjected to a sort of dual-objectification. You are objectified once for your body, and once for the fact that you play games. This seems ridiculous, but any woman who has played games in the last 20 years will know what I'm talking about. As a female "gamer" you are sexualized simply for playing games — you are seen as the unicorn. Do you remember the Team Unicorn "Geek and Gamer Girls" video from 2012? It attempted to parody the sexualization of female nerds and was an integral part of starting these discussions, especially when many insisted that the girls in the video couldn't possibly be "geek and gamer" girls because they were too attractive. One of the reasons many male gamers learned to tolerate female gamers over the past 15 or so years is simply to increase their dating pool rather than out of actual respect. But even then, we would have to follow their rules. We are taught that being ogled, or getting harassed is the price we have to pay for wanting to play games.

The contemporary "SJW" figure interrupts this duality of the two types of acceptable female gamers. For years to be a female gamer you either had to be 1) eye candy or 2) one of the guys. To be a good gamer girl you wouldn't complain about sexism in games, you accepted games as they were; you wouldn't complain about trash talk in games, you would simply "git gud". In my research, I've encountered countless memes used to spread these ideas and police female gamer behaviour; the most on the nose of which is this parody of Goofus and Gallant staring gamergate mascot Vivian James.

0*VXFdBlhxpJhcc4AZ

In this image we see Vivian James (the good gamer girl) playing and making games while SJW stand-in Occulass "demands devs change things in games she'll never play" and "complains online about things keeping women out of gaming." The message is clear: you want to be accepted as a real girl gamer? Don't be like Occulass, be like Vivian. Vivian follows the rules and norms set out by male gamers. She doesn't complain about sexist representation or sexual harassment. Maybe she even wears the gamer dress. She will dress and act in a way that doesn't offend, or even deliberately appeals to male gamers as a matter of survival. I know that as a teen, I tried to be like Vivian, I didn't point out when things bothered me, I put up with sexual harassment and jokes about my skill and gender, and worse still, I perceived a lot of these survival techniques that I picked up as genuine parts of my "not like other girls" or "cool girl" personality: they were not. In contrast to the "good gamer girl", the SJW figure is truly frightening to male gamers not only because she points out what is so obviously sexist in their games and behaviour, but also because she does not attempt to adjust her appearance to make them happy.

What has become the stereotyped image of an SJW, queer and fat with colourful hair, ostentatious clothing and a loud mouth (all me now by the way), is the exact opposite of what games culture wants female gamers to be. They want you to be slim and pretty and quiet and never calling them on their shit under any circumstances. Even when that involves sexual harassment and sexual assault.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta

I pointed out to one friend on Facebook that, in addition to literally every day being Straight White Men's Day, there IS an International Men's Day...it didn't stop his ranting. We're no longer Facebook friends lol

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It is impossible to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Liberal politics, in an American sense, requires governmental measures to combat social inequities - it takes money to run Medicaid and Social Security to fight poverty, it takes money to properly administer voting equality, it takes money to enforce anti-discrimination laws, etc. Tax money pays for social programs.

Fiscal conservatism is a patina, a mask, because conservatives simply aren't fiscally conservative. They love spending money on their pet projects, and every conservative administration from Reagan to the present has contributed toward higher spending than their liberal predecessors.

No one is saying those programs you listed should have ZERO money, not even most conservatives. Where liberals & conservatives can disagree is how much and what percents should be contributed to those programs. That just comes down to personal preference/opinion

Also the examples you listed are not the only social topics. There are other subjects which are not related to money, or at least not from a personal individual standpoint. So if you want to use me as an example, here's what I believe in some of those:

-- I am completely atheist
-- Therefore I believe in a complete separation of church from state, I don't think religion should have anything to do with government. That puts me at major odds with the current day Republican party, especially since GWBush times.
-- I staunchly believe in pro choice for abortion
-- Gay marriage, sure why not. Doesn't affect me, so go for it. I tell religious conservatives to mind their own business, won't change their lives in any way
-- I staunchly support legalization of marijuana (albeit for a different reason than pot smokers themselves)
-- Gun control, I wouldn't mind if handguns and assault rifles were banned

aka "you support racist/homophobic/sexist policies and legislature, which is basically the same thing as the first but given enough distance so you don't have to think about your beliefs and can convince yourself that it's a matter of law, safety, the Constitution, taxes, being against regulation, protecting American culture, etc"

I read your full post the first time. It's just as silly the second time.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what your angle here is when we're about to enter a recession thanks to Trump's tax plan. If you want to talk objective facts, Republicans have historically been bad with using the taxpayer's money.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Just wanted to pipe in to say that I live & grew up in Appalachia and aside from the overtness of the bigotry there doesn't seem to be much of an attitudinal difference from the folks I saw when I was on 4chan oh so long ago.

Definitely saw trucker (ex-)friends joking about running protesters over with their semis when there was a BLM-related march somewhere off the mountain

Have definitely seen an issue with baseline hostility, i.e. if someone says something hurtful and you ask them how they'd feel if someone else said the somethin similar to them, they basically respond as if it's a threat

Just the other day some mid-thirties-and-older managers at my job were complaining about TLJ and "SJW" came up a non-negligible number of times

DEFINITELY had ex-Army brats threaten to shoot me when I pointed out contradictions in their anti-SJW rhetoric

Not particularly thrilled about dudes in here saying this is just children on the Internet

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"The only reason is because of money/taxes/business" means you're willfully ignoring everything else that conservative policies/legislature supports and only caring about what benefits you.

It's nice to say you're only voting because of money and taxes but your vote doesn't exist in vacuum and doesn't care about your nuance. Your vote isn't for the isolated policy that you like, your vote is for the person and all their policies and agendas
It's not that simple that you can sit there and say "I only voted for Trump so that I would make more money" when we have the very real consequences of what Trump is doing affecting us.

Please take a read through some of this, which hasn't been updated in the past few months. The trans military ban is supposed to go into effect next month if you'd like an update on that discrimination.

This is what people mean when they say that if you vote for conservatives you are at the very least okay with these kind of policies because none of this in here should be a surprise. These are all directly part of the platforms that they run on.
Of course I technically understand that a vote ends up being a single result.

But some of you seem to not realize (or ignore) the simple principle of prioritizing criteria? When you have a list of totally different criteria, do you not rate different levels of importance on each item? Not every item ends up being the same importance

I'm in real-estate Sales. When you buy a home, there are different factors. Location, standard features, finishes, view, lot location, school district, property tax rate, etc etc

Buyers rate each criteria to a different importance level, even though you have to compromise on some criteria in the end. What's the difference with voting?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I technically understand that a vote ends up being a single result.

But some of you seem to not realize (or ignore) the simple principle of prioritizing criteria? When you have a list of totally different criteria, do you not rate different levels of importance on each item? Not every item ends up being the same importance

I'm in real-estate Sales. When you buy a home, there are different factors. Location, standard features, finishes, view, lot location, school district, property tax rate, etc etc

Buyers rate each criteria to a different importance level, even though you have to compromise on some criteria in the end. What's the difference with voting?

The difference with voting is that you're weighing money as more important than people's fundamental rights. When you buy a house, it's just for you and has no impact on others. You are sending a message to the people who are affected by these policies "As long as I can fill my pockets, it's okay what happens to you. It's okay that you'll lose rights, access to healthcare, and might face increased discrimination or violence. "

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure what your angle here is when we're about to enter a recession thanks to Trump's tax plan. If you want to talk objective facts, Republicans have historically been bad with using the taxpayer's money.
You're talking about two different things.

When it comes to managing government finances, then some Republicans throughout history have been bad, no doubt.

But when it comes strictly to an individual citizen's own bottom line, sometimes a Republican president ends up with the best result for a person.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No one is saying those programs you listed should have ZERO money, not even most conservatives. Where liberals & conservatives can disagree is how much and what percents should be contributed to those programs. That just comes down to personal preference/opinion

Also the examples you listed are not the only social topics. There are other subjects which are not related to money, or at least not from a personal individual standpoint. So if you want to use me as an example, here's what I believe in some of those:

-- I am completely atheist
-- Therefore I believe in a complete separation of church from state, I don't think religion should have anything to do with government. That puts me at major odds with the current day Republican party, especially since GWBush times.
-- I staunchly believe in pro choice for abortion
-- Gay marriage, sure why not. Doesn't affect me, so go for it. I tell religious conservatives to mind their own business, won't change their lives in any way
-- I staunchly support legalization of marijuana (albeit for a different reason than pot smokers themselves)
-- Gun control, I wouldn't mind if handguns and assault rifles were banned
You say you support those ideals and policies, but a vote for a conservative or Republican supports policies that either opposes or wants to destroy those things.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're talking about two different things.

When it comes to managing government finances, then some Republicans throughout history have been bad, no doubt.

But when it comes strictly to an individual citizen's own bottom line, sometimes a Republican president ends up with the best result for a person.
"Fuck you, got mine"