• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly the problem: the community doesn't want to let devs do what they want, if it doesn't align with their world views (which, in many cases, come from a very privileged, US background). You have people on this forum calling Aonuma a misogynistic prick because he won't transform Link into a girl, for example.

This. Games are a work of fiction and it's sad that it needs to be a statement for some.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue the term makes it pretty clear where they stand. They are AGAINST social justice. This says it all.
Social justice is an economic concept. It's basically communism (or more precisely "scare quote communism") with another name. The UN put it as, "Social justice may be broadly understood as the fair and compassionate distribution of the fruits of economic growth." Some people, particularly Americans, become extremely nervous at the merest hint of communism/anti-capitalist rhetoric or forced redistribution of potentially ill-gotten gains. Most people who talk about "social justice" don't really have a clear understanding of what they're talking about.

What happened somewhere along the line is that social justice got tangled up in the idea of arts and culture; artistic underclasses akin to economic ones. It's the redistribution of power as currency within culture. Typically forcibly. And the forcibly part is where the tensions invariably start. We look at the disadvantages women face getting into IT. A social-justice minded person seeks to redistribute that power structure so that women have a fair chance within this structure. I think most people don't really think through what social justice is. But in practice it's fairly basic "give the short kid a crate to stand on" shit.

And people who use SJW as an insult use it as shorthand for "fanatical person". They genuinely don't care about any deeper meaning of the words. And it has become a surprisingly common insult globally. It is concerning that the alt-right used GamerGate to springboard a relatively obscure term into global mainstream usage.

It was bound to happen eventually, however. When someone is called a Dunce, the person calling them a Dunce 101% doesn't care that John Duns Scotus was arguably one the greatest minds of his generation; writing highly influential works on Catholicism and philosophy. Most people don't care that Luddites fought against violations of labour laws and exploitation of the working class. To them, a luddite is someone who hates technology. The truths behind insults are easily forgotten.

Last edited:

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Sad to break it to you but Anti-SJW culture is a world wide issue. Hint: It's a huge issue in countries where women's and LGBTQ rights and acceptance are not on par with western EU or NA countries.

Edit: As a non-white guy, it often bugs me how most of Era often forgets or side steps the fact that white people are not the only ones who are capable of bigotry, in spades.

It's natural product of... people. Both bigotry, but also how a group of people will talk about bigotry. This board is all about a particular subculture that's, significantly, dominanted by a few societies, many with outsized cultural influence etc etc, but with an international audience. Thus terms are thrown around that just don't fly in different cultures (e.g. 'whiteness' means a lot more to more people in the US than it does in the UK, I'd wager), ditto other attitudes and understandings and nuances.

Even with the best intentions (being respectful, inclusive, imaginative, conscious), we're still living and talking in a world that's extremely complicated and there's no one-size-fits-all answer. That's the basic lesson of history and it is amazingly easy to forget.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly the problem: the community doesn't want to let devs do what they want, if it doesn't align with their world views (which, in many cases, come from a very privileged, US background). You have people on this forum calling Aonuma a misogynistic prick because he won't transform Link into a girl, for example.

I'll just call whoever did that shitty crossdressing quest in BotW a piece of shit instead. I have yet to see a good argument for its inclusion. Persona 5 gets a lot of hate, rightfully so, for its shitty gay panic stuff but man that BotW stuff was awful.

Sep 12, 2018
As for the "forced diversity", IMO that would be if Sam Fisher in the next Splinter Cell is a PoC or with the new casting of James Bond as a woman (if that's true, just went over a headline the other day). I definitely have no problems with main or side characters of other races and genders, but changing the gender or race of an already established character is what I would call "forced" diversity.
And I call sticking to the same character traits over and over forced uniformity, same for media that could easily be more diverse but isn't.

I love how people bring in these loaded and scary terms like "FORCED" and "AGENDA" whenever these topics arise but don't bat an eye when something just serves to maintain the status quo. Why is changing somebody's gender or skin color an inherently bad thing that it needs these scare-quotey labels attached to it?

Oct 30, 2017
They are immature and selfish and lack the basic respect for the others.

They will never change so I just ignore them, like I do with stupid people in real life.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's because somewhere, someone made a decision that didn't *immediately* cater to their interests and therefore that's bad and must be stopped.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Rationalizing prejudice and previous severe infractions for bigotry
Sad to break it to you but Anti-SJW culture is a world wide issue. Hint: It's a huge issue in countries where women's and LGBTQ rights and acceptance are not on par with western EU or NA countries.

Edit: As a non-white guy, it often bugs me how most of Era often forgets or side steps the fact that white people are not the only ones who are capable of bigotry, in spades.
This is also a fantastic point, that echoes what I said before about the (mainly) US-centric perspective. Latin America is seeing a huge raise in far-right movements that go against abortion, LGBT, and inclusive language. The reason? People reject the sudden and extreme "SJW" movements that have been making its way into some sectors of society (aka the "woke" young people) through social media. Pushing this radical agenda will only cause these conservative sectors reject it and retract to a right-leaning shelter.

Gaming is trying to be pushed in the same direction, and I personally don't see it ending well.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO that would be if Sam Fisher in the next Splinter Cell is a PoC or with the new casting of James Bond as a woman (if that's true, just went over a headline the other day). I definitely have no problems with main or side characters of other races and genders, but changing the gender or race of an already established character is what I would call "forced" diversity.

Your rules are arbitrary and pointless.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They sell their games in the rest of the world, so they should expect the rest of the world to view it through their own cultural lens too. If they want to claim insularity, they're free to not sell their games in worldwide markets.

THANK YOU.

Don't hang your art in the gallery if you don't want it analyzed and critiqued.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Usually I stay away from topics that are non-game specific, but this one caught my attention, because of how you all are referring to all "gamers being crap/shit" for being anti-SJW in youtube comments. Well, firstly, for me all the toxicity in youtube comments went rampaging when streaming/broadcasting became so widespread all 8 year olds could do them themselves without specific hardware and software, click and stream Fortnite/Minecraft. Then all their 7-10 yo friends jumped on the "gaming trend" and started posting (offensive) memes and/or toxic comments. Most of them never touched or played a game.
So yea, please don't call me or other gamers crap or shit for playing games, just because of some kids on Youtube.

Can you post in your real account, please? Mr. I only have 10 post in two years.

And fuck gamers. The fact I love videogames that don't mean I love all the communities out there.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually I stay away from topics that are non-game specific, but this one caught my attention, because of how you all are referring to all "gamers being crap/shit" for being anti-SJW in youtube comments. Well, firstly, for me all the toxicity in youtube comments went rampaging when streaming/broadcasting became so widespread all 8 year olds could do them themselves without specific hardware and software, click and stream Fortnite/Minecraft. Then all their 7-10 yo friends jumped on the "gaming trend" and started posting (offensive) memes and/or toxic comments. Most of them never touched or played a game.
So yea, please don't call me or other gamers crap or shit for playing games, just because of some kids on Youtube.

As for the "forced diversity", IMO that would be if Sam Fisher in the next Splinter Cell is a PoC or with the new casting of James Bond as a woman (if that's true, just went over a headline the other day). I definitely have no problems with main or side characters of other races and genders, but changing the gender or race of an already established character is what I would call "forced" diversity.
when you are criticizing a group its normal in argument to not make use of the word "most" or to not show exceptions, when people criticize the united states for example they are not talking about every american, only to those the critic is aplicable.
like for example: united states is a racist country, does everyone in america is racist? no, people have to stop thinking that we should create execeptions to every argument, there's always exceptions, and people will understand that when i talk like that there's a bunch of racists in US, including the president, and thats a big problem in the country and there's good people fighting against it.

Good for the people that is not part of what the sentence is about, these people dont need to get angry with the argument because they know its used to fight a real problem in that group (Americans).

When people argue gamers are sexist and racists does it means everyone that plays videogames? no they are talking about the majority of the group, resetera is the only place where racism if banable in game forums, its an exception.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is also a fantastic point, that echoes what I said before about the (mainly) US-centric perspective. Latin America is seeing a huge raise in far-right movements that go against abortion, LGBT, and inclusive language. The reason? People reject the sudden and extreme "SJW" movements that have been making its way into some sectors of society (aka the "woke" young people) through social media. Pushing this radical agenda will only cause these conservative sectors reject it and retract to a right-leaning shelter.

Gaming is trying to be pushed in the same direction, and I personally don't see it ending well.

This is only part of the story, surely (and a very particular telling of it too).

One thing we rarely hear about is the economic side of things. The focus on 'SJWs' and 'extreme' changes to 'traditional' societies etc feels to me a fig-leaf for many more complicated and larger things behind the scenes.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And I call sticking to the same character traits over and over forced uniformity, same for media that could easily be more diverse but isn't.

I love how people bring in these loaded and scary terms like "FORCED" and "AGENDA" whenever these topics arise but don't bat an eye when something just serves to maintain the status quo. Why is changing somebody's gender or skin color an inherently bad thing that it needs these scare-quotey labels attached to it?
I guess it's the difference between a title and a person. Anyone can be 007 but James Bond is a trickier situation. Then again authenticity went out the window from the beginning as Connery is Scottish. Ultimately, the IP holders have domain over the characters and decide who and what they are.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil

And yet, the mere mention of a new character, in a new IP, being queer is considered "forced diversity" by a large contingent of the gaming community.

So yes, Gamers are mostly trash, but you are free to for on that hill.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Racial, religious, gender based, and many other types of discrimination. That's why. Try making a world war game that puts equality between genders, you'll be in for some fun times. :)

It will change in the future. It will get better. But that requires education, cultural adaptation and time. Expect this to last for a few decades.
This made me chuckle. Glad EA and Dice stood their ground with all that nonsense being thrown against them.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

How is having a female lead or even a trans character a "radical agenda"? People lost their shit at women in BF5 or female generals in Rome 2. They lost their shit at "Ellie being lesbian". I dont really see how absolutely normal things that exist in this world are a "radical agenda".

spidye

Oct 28, 2017

It must be nice living in a bubble if you really think only children from 7-10 are toxic
What's the problem if an established character changed sex or color? Seriously, these are virtual fictional characters not some real person.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

Can you explain to me what these "extreme SJW movements" are?

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Thing that really bothers me about all this stuff is like... the idea that gaming was ever a safe space for marginalised white male "nerds" was largely a myth to begin with.

The truth is that women (and LGBT+ and nonwhites to some extent) who enjoyed games were constantly dismissed. Gender culture has been segregate in most media for a long time, games that actually catered to and were widely popular with women have been dismissed as "non games" and are getting lost to history. When I was a kid every girl I knew had played some kind of game. Maybe it was educational text adventures at school, maybe it was barbie horse adventures, maybe it was centipede on their phone, tetris, bejeweled, petz, rollercoaster tycoon, the sims, nintendogs... but a large chunk of them never identified as "gamers" because society had taught them that being a "gamer" meant military shooters on a home console or some-such.
And then even girls like me who actually did play "traditional hardcore games" widely recognised by gamer geek culture would be dismissed anyway. Maybe our boyfriends or brothers made us play? Maybe we dabbled but weren't that good at it? maybe we were "NOT NORMAL GIRLS(tm)"? Every female gamer I know born before the 90s has these kinds of stories.
I'd also like to point out, this is anecdotal but LGBTQ+ gamers seem to make up an extraordinarily large portion of devs, hobbyist gamers and people who have been gaming for 3 or more decades compared to their proportion in the overall population?

It was awfully telling in the Wii era when nintendo were criticised for making "non-games" and the term CASUAL started appearing everywhere. And after that it was the controversy of "walking sims" on steam. Why would you need such gatekeeping in the first place if you weren't trying to keep people out?

So I think it's a mistake to label straight white male supremacist gatekeepers as "gamers", just like their fantasy of a pan-european white blood legacy (that somehow homogenises vikings, celts, greeks and romans as some singular ethnic identity) is massively inaccurate, so is the idea that gaming *ever* truly belonged to all those boys who were typecast as the primary consumers by the media. It is historical negationism thanks.

Jan 11, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): denying the existence of well-documented hate groups, dismissing concerns of sexual harassment + account in junior phase.
This whole conflict does not exist. SJWs do not exist. An anti-SJW-crowd doesn't really exist. All there is, is a few people on the internet that prove man's inability to sit in a room alone.

Out on the streets, I hear more people arguing the health benefits of avocado. Now for people who live on the internet....

Other example: Sargon of Fuckwad argues that Metal Music is becoming too "safe". Metalinjecton or some other irrelevant youtube channel invites two women who argue that metal shows are not "safe". Well, Metal shows are not meant to be "safe". Neither are they meant to be "dangerous." They are somewhere in the middle. I go to metal shows every week. They are never too "safe", nor are they "unsafe." I punch chicks and they punch back, one almost broke my nose recently.

None of this shit exists. Out there. It's all nothing but irrelevant youtube poopoo.

There is, of course, a discussion regarding our society. I welcome it. I do not see it reflected in the youtubes.

Last edited:

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest losers on the internet think they're waging a culture war in the gaming space. Gamergate has had a disgusting legacy of bigotry and sexism.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
They are bitch-ass manchildren who deserve to be slapped with an OG XB pad.
And this aint gonna change, seeing how social media gave them a voice to be whiny idiots whenever a minority *dares* being visible, or you know, breathe.

That's... disrespectful to the OG XB pad.

Agree with the social media aspect, though. Way too easy to spout your toxic views anonymously, without having to worry about any repercussions.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
It must be nice living in a bubble if you really think only children from 7-10 are toxic
It was an overstatement.
What's the problem if an established character changed sex or color? Seriously, these are virtual fictional characters not some real person.
There is no problem, just an example of what I would consider forced. This goes both ways, of course. If ND change Chloe or Elie, it would feel just as forced.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ban of louis89 is perfect example why Era has reputation of alt-left-SJW-forum outside. He talks nice and polite, tries to bring his point of view on this sensitive topic - still being banned by some power-tripping asshole because don't you dare to have other opinion here. Feel free to ban me too, for, I dunno, hidden white suprematism or something.

I saw this topic and I thought "Wow, in the old days, this thread would be a graveyard of banned accounts, but luckily, we're beyond that now".

Nope.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this is not only a white guy-only thing. A lot of Latino cultures within the US have strong religious/conservative views. It really seems to be an outcry among conservative men in many countries when it comes to the representation of women and LGBT within media.
For sure. My dad suddenly has a lot of concern about how Captain Marvel is going to lead the Avengers, and how Marvel is forcing heroes no one wants like Shang Chi down our throats. We're Puerto Rican and he's 56

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This whole conflict does not exist. SJWs do not exist. An anti-SJW-crowd doesn't really exist. All there is, is a few people on the internet that prove man's inability to sit in a room alone.

Out on the streets, I hear more people arguing the health benefits of avocado. Now for people who live on the internet....

Other example: Sargon of Fuckwad argues that Metal Music is becoming too "safe". Metalinjecton or some other irrelevant youtube channel invites two women who argue that metal shows are not "safe". Well, Metal shows are not meant to be "safe". Neither are they meant to be "dangerous." They are somewhere in the middle. I go to metal shows every week. They are never too "safe", nor are they "unsafe." I punch chicks and they punch back, one almost broke my nose recently.

None of this shit exists. Out there. It's all nothing but irrelevant youtube poopoo.

There is, of course, a discussion regarding our society. I welcome it. I do not see it reflected in the youtubes.

I'm trying to give this a charitable reading but it sounds like you punch women at metal shows...

I'm not sure what you're really going on about though with 'this doesn't exist', it definitely exists. Are you trying to give a philosophical argument that we live in a simulation or something? Anti-SJWs absolutely exist. People that fight for equality and social justice absolutely exist as well.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Revolutions are usually pretty horrendous things, though.

In other news: I think there is still power in the idea that contempt for SJWs is slot about despising performance. SJWs are seen as somehow insincere. Whether they are or not is irrelevant, but a lot of people dislike the idea of virtue signalling. This isn't mutually exclusive with being a repressive asshole, and nor am I saying all 'SJWs' are virtue signalling, etc. Just that I suspect the reasons this shit resonates with some people are myriad.

You are giving to much credit to the concept of SJWs. Sure there are posers in real life, people who like to post on facebook or instagram showing their association with various ''virtuous causes'. But outside the virtual worlds of the internet, I don't think the stereotype that alt right has generated of the SJW meme, exists that much. It certainly isn't a particularly useful characterisation of say many activists fighting for progressive causes in the real world.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
For sure. My dad suddenly has a lot of concern about how Captain Marvel is going to lead the Avengers, and how Marvel is forcing heroes no one wants like Shang Chi down our throats. We're Puerto Rican and he's 56

Similar here. My 60 year old mom, ever since Bolsonaro has become a thing, decided to always complain about PC culture whenever I mention movies with female leads, such as Captain Marvel. Or how Black Panther only won some Oscars because it was a black majority movie.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The fact that pushing for equal representation pisses some of y'all off so much is like the main reason to continue being vocal about it.

Y'all literally mad we exist. Stay fucking mad losers.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Too much black and white. Not enough gray.
That's just what I see.

The problem as I see it is that we've essentially come full circle to a sort of Haye's Code enforced externally by interest groups instead of by a group of Catholics controlling the movie industry. Essentially if a work doesn't comply angry people on the internet will try their hardest to "cancel" the work.

Who decides what is and isn't acceptable to portray in media? Especially on a global stage. If Australia decides something is unacceptable, such as positive portrayals of illicit drug use -- should the entire world follow suit? Who decides what messages are acceptable in media? Is it the group who can whip up the loudest social media campaign? You have your set of beliefs. I have my set of beliefs. Some are personal. Some are derived from where we live. Local law and customs we never really thought about. Where these differ, whose wins out? We all like to think that our views on moral/ethical/social/political topics are the correct ones. It's why we hold them.

Consider the Haye's Code. Easily the most infamous example of art conforming to a mandated moral standard. From the perspective of the Catholics behind the Haye's Code, the things it forbade and the things it placed heavy restrictions upon were completely reasonable. Any film that violated the code was in the wrong. They were protecting vulnerable groups from attack, vulnerable minds from corruption. They were upholding the moral standards of their time, which included some eyebrow raising stuff, if you look through the list.

People have every right to criticize works that they are offended by or that they feel spread harmful messages. Nothing wrong with that. But there have been many books banned in the past. Many films restricted. Once upon a time, conventional liberal thought was that book banning and film restriction was wrong. Defending the right of offensive things to exist, even if you were personally critical of the work, was the default liberal position. This has slowly but surely changed, I think.

Martin Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ was viewed as a deeply offensive film when it was released. It was banned in several countries. Detractors viewed it as an attack on their religion, on their messiah, and as a corrupting moral influence on vulnerable people.

We also have works such as Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses. That book offended a great many people. It blasphemed their religion, or so they felt. It was an attack on an integral part of themselves. Millions of people wanted Rushdie to die for what he wrote.

We come back to the problem of videogames as being overtly mass market to the point of being insipid. If you're religious and you find The Last of Temptation of Christ offensive, you don't have to watch it. There are endless movies. You don't have to watch them all. You don't have to watch movies that have messages that (you feel) attack you or the things you believe. That's the conclusion a lot of people came to. That sometimes works of art are offensive to certain people. But we live with that. Games are different. There's this impression that games are for everyone. That "everyone" should be able to play a game without encountering content that offends them. If the content does actively offend them, it should be corrected. This is not necessarily viable because society is a melting people of people with contradictory views. You can cover your bases by avoiding easy offensive pitfalls. But sooner or later you tread on toes once you start dealing with meaty political topics.

When Devotion deeply offended people in China, and was subsequently scrubbed from the entire Chinese internet, and then vanished from Steam, a lot of people outside China didn't care. When it comes to art offending people with its messages or themes, people's care generally only really extends as far as the interest groups they care about. (Or just themselves.) Chinese nationalists don't rank among most people's list of "offended people I give a shit about". Their offense is still genuine, though.

Propaganda that exists to further marginalize and encourage violence against vulnerable people should not exist. Whether it doesn't exist because we make people who have those opinions uncomfortable with sharing them, or because we let products with those ideas die out of the gate, doesn't matter. Vote with your wallet and don't support them. Openly criticize the product and the people making them. Make people feel uncomfortable and not wanted in society for being racist, misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, and generally speaking xenophobic. We aren't going to kill these ideas with kindness.

Media that has harmful ideas, but is well meaning, should be criticized as well so the people in charge understand this and do better the next time.

The question to ask is if a person's outrage about protecting fragile demographics of society or the harmful status quo. Things like the Hay's Code are largely about the latter.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's how it was written. "Boys" all stop. Not "some boys" or "many boys" just "boys".

You can act exacerbated about it but what you wrote was a generalization that isn't needed. There's plenty of boys as well as girls that play games for fun and not empowerment for their failed social abilities/situations.

I have absolutely no doubt there's a group exactly as you describe out there and they are shitting on an industry we all love and society in general. That said, using absolute terms for groups of people is never a good idea no matter what side of it you're on.

Please get out of here with the "not all men" horseshit. This is just a derailing tactic and concern trolling. "What about the good boys?!" I don't know. We're not talking about them right now. Either engage with the actual issue or leave.

Lol what.

When I was a boy I picked up videogames because they were extremely fun. Still are.

OK!

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I find it difficult to understand, honestly. There are probably lots of factors at play that I'm not aware of.

Still, if I were to hazard a (perhaps reductive) guess, I would say folk find change threatening and even a bit scary, so they get angry. Having a 'safe' kind of enemy like "dem SJWz" probably gives them something to project their anger onto that won't, y'know, physically retaliate.

Like I said, I don't really know.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
When you're using a term like social justice warrior I just can't take you seriously anymore, no matter what you say.