• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Dragon Ball Z for weebs?

• Yes

Votes: 295 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • It depends

Votes: 218 27.0%

• Total voters

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
A long time ago, a friend of mine was friends with an Asian girl, and apparently she had a white American dude as a boyfriend, and he joined the military but got legitimately upset when he found out he wasn't going to be stationed in Japan and pouted for weeks about it.

To me, that's a weeb.

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
I've always considered weebs to be people who think Japanese culture, Japan as the best and such, wanting Japanese girlfriends/boyfriends, speaking Japanese randomly or with people who don't even speak Japanese... and yeah, some of those cringy stuff that other people posted.

Anyway, there are those people in my Japanese class who speak Japanese with each other, but it's obviously going off lines that they've heard from anime and stuff.

Also, I guess I never really thought of using the Japanese title to come off as a weeb. My friend does that a lot and she watches anime and reads manga daily and she also hates English dubs LOL, but honestly, I personally don't consider her a weeb? Because it's not like she thinks Japan is better than her own country and culture, etc. or does the other things that I listed in the beginning.

But also, I do use Hibike! Euphonium when talking about that series, and at first I did try to use Sound! Euphonium but it always felt a bit off to me. Like, using the word 'sound' in that way seems weird. And other meanings for hibiku also wouldn't feel any more natural, such as 'resound' or 'reverberate.' I dunno, maybe it's just me.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
IMO, it should be a forbidden word. Everywhere.

Same with "loli." Too many people use those ridiculous words nowadays in an attempt to sound cool & don't exactly know what they mean.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, men like Kevin Federline, Riff Raff etc are wiggas, and the man unironically feeding his waifu body pillow spaghetti is a fucking weeb.

I don't get the association between weebs and body pillows.

Like, I ended up rooting against Japan during the 2018 World Cup, but is the idea of a semi-erotic body pillow at least slightly appealing to me? Of course.

Body pillows are just another product, like anime or Amiibo. They appeal to a variety of people. The essence of being a weeabo isn't in the act of consuming any particular product, but in this particular linkage between consumption and the fetishization of a culture.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the association between weebs and body pillows.

Like, I ended up rooting against Japan during the 2018 World Cup, but is the idea of a semi-erotic body pillow at least slightly appealing to me? Of course.

Body pillows are just another product, like anime or Amiibo. They appeal to a variety of people. The essence of being a weeabo isn't in the act of consuming any particular product, but in this particular linkage between consumption and the fetishization of a culture.

waifu+lover.jpg

What do you see in this image?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
What do you see in this image?

I see someone who presents as the worst otaku stereotype.

Again, though, otaku and weeabo aren't synonymous with each other. And even putting that aside, people like the person in that picture make all anime fans look bad, not just body pillow owners - you can't selectively appeal to confirmation bias here. :P

In any case, the core point is this: weeabo aren't defined by the products they purchase, so much as the way they frame those purchases. When your purchasing habits become linked to your fixation on and/or glorification of Japanese culture, you're probably a weeabo.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see someone who presents as the worst otaku stereotype.

Again, though, otaku and weeabo aren't synonymous with each other. And even putting that aside, people like the person in that picture make all anime fans look bad, not just body pillow owners - you can't selectively appeal to confirmation bias here. :P

In any case, the core point is this: weeabo aren't defined by the products they purchase, so much as the way they frame those purchases. When your purchasing habits become linked to your fixation on and/or glorification of Japanese culture, you're probably a weeabo.

That's a god damned weeb and you know it.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I see weeb as a variation of Geek/Nerd/etc

Weeb being about Anime and Japan Culture mostly

It started basically as a negative connotation that was accepted by that same group that was supposed to be attacked/insulted by it.

Now people wear it with pride it seems, but some take it to a unhealthy measure.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
If you need to ask if Dragon Ball Z is for weebs, I think deep down we already know what the answer is.

As for the term itself, I mostly see it used as a self-depreciating term for people who feel a little self-conscious about consuming Asian media. This feels apt, since that's what this "DBZ doesn't count" debate pretty much revolves around. Folks who feel insecure over the things they consume, and looking for reasons why they're still cooler than their peers.

Either way, some are playful about it, while others don't. Makes it hard to attach a vibe to the word. That makes it more like "Geek" these days.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
This poll is out of whack. DBZ is fucking massive, and extends well beyond Anime fans. That shit was on Cartoon Network after school in the 90s.

Weeaboos are people that put on Naruto headbands and ninja run around, or the type of people that can't go a conversation without quoting an Anime. They usually also love Family Guy and make/watch AMVs. Weeaboos are basically the "you have to be very intelligent to enjoy Rick and Morty" types of Anime fans.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Someone who obsesses over Japanese media, and to a lesser extent, culture. Like, fetishizes it.

Usually insufferably so - I might only use it as an insult or a self deprecating term.

Japan makes a lot of cool stuff, but enjoying things specifically because they come from Japan is what makes you a weeb, in my eyes.

I love animation, and watch a lot of it. I don't view Anime as a separate entity from other animation, not really; I don't watch anime for the sake of watching anime, if that makes sense. That's something I might (sometimes lovingly, other times not) describe as a weaboo doing in my head.

It's harmless though, as long as you're not toxic about it. I would never actually use "Weeb" aloud in conversation or even written out directed at someone as a jab, as it's just a hobby or interest, and I can't reasonably get upset at that. But like "nerd", I find it easy to dunk on the collective "weeb culture" when it shows it's many pockets of toxicity.

hE7659A7A

This is it.

Japan makes a lot of amazing media. It also makes a lot of mediocre media and a lot of shit.

The fetishization some people make of it is ludicrous.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Anime is for weebs. But at this point it's just as endearing of a word as "nerd".

Oct 29, 2017
Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Anime Avatar
You regularly watch more than one anime
You regularly read manga
90% of the video games you play are Japanese
You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available
You collect traditional Japanese things
You've attended an anime convention
You own anime themed clothing
You took Japanese as a foreign language in school
You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

This is really good.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I guess to some people i'm a weeb for watching anything in their original language, be it english movies, german movies, polish games or anything like that

P.S. : To be fair i'm a real weeb, love plenty of japanese shit, but lol at some of these definitions

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I feel like weeaboo has undergone the hipster treatment. It was a group that originally was given a pretty narrow definition that got diluted from overuse to the point it now it applies to a huge group. It's weird to see it as somewhat of a badge of honor when it was originally meant to label people who had an unhealthy to offensive love of Japanese media and Japan (really their incorrect assumptions of what Japan is like). It's not someone who watches a bunch of anime or whatever but is meant to be someone who actually goes around lamenting that they aren't Japanese or talks about how great visiting Japan will be because it's just like their dramas/animes. There's that bit of it being someone who is (intentionally or unintentionally) being casually racist in their fetishization of Japan that has been lost when people start calling anyone who loves J-Rock or J-Pop, anime/dramas, etc a weeaboo.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A weeb to me is anyone who actually says "nani" in conversation and isn't referring to the former Man Utd Portuguese footballer

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
You're the one that jumped into a conversation acting aggressive and making judgement calls about someone you never met. Grow the hell up.
Keep living that petty life while I continue to work with amazing developers on games that I adored as a child.

Also, welcome to the ignore list. lol
No need to ignore. He banned

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Weebs aren't just people who watch a ton of anime and play JRPGs, they are people who assume something is better just because it's Japanese. So for example people who say subs are always better than dubs no matter the show, or that the worst anime is still better than the best Western cartoon.

So if you are like me and think the DBZ English dub is better, you're actually on the weeb shitlist.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Relevant

Edit - Before someone gets upset, there is an Urban Dictionary definition of Weaboo in this video that could be offensive. Ignore it. Skip to 0:38 if you can

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Weebs now in 2019 just means people who have a strong preference to things from Japan.
It used to be more of a derogatory way of saying japanophile. But it's hardly used as such. It's just a catch all term for people who like japanese things.

But I guess it's still mean spirited

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
My understanding is it is an insult directed to people of Western decent that have a strong fascination with Asian (Japan in particular) culture.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Two levels of distinction: one being "haha weeb" which is just mostly these days used as a meme and I use it as such as well

Then there's actual weaboos who have body pillows and dedicated to their waifus and shit who I more kindly label degens

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Weeaboo implies a love of Japanese culture so I'm not a fan of being called that. I like some of their anime and videogames but I generally dislike Japanese culture, particularly their work culture & xenophobia.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
lmao this whole time I thought it was pronounced Wee-Boh

Lol same here. First time I ever knew the actual pronounciation.

I thought weeaboos went extinct in the early/mid 2000s after the Internet made it clear that Japan was just another place like everywhere else, foibles and all. Come to think if it, that was around the time that the Great White Hope/Charisma Man types started disappearing as well.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Weeaboo implies a love of Japanese culture so I'm not a fan of being called that. I like some of their anime and videogames but I generally dislike Japanese culture, particularly their work culture & xenophobia.
I'll conjecture that few people get called weebs over their love of the pottery, poetry, immigration policies or labor laws of Japan.
I've always, always seen it applied to the narrow interest in their cartoon and toy industries.