• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Dragon Ball Z for weebs?

• Yes

Votes: 295 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • It depends

Votes: 218 27.0%

• Total voters

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PBF071-Weeaboo.gif
Should have been the first post smh

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The term sometimes comes off as low key racist to me, I think because sometimes it bleeds over to a sort of overarching anti-Japanese sentiment. I generally understand and respect anime hate lol, but don't trash on an entire nation of people just because you find some of the domestic fanbase corny or obnoxious or whatever.

Other than that, it comes off as a bit mean spirited and unnecessary. But when it's used in a non-derogatory way, I'm okay with it.

Also: I think critiques of fetishization is spot on and needs to be addressed, and I don't blame anyone for generally trashing on the subculture for that reason.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Weeb are disgusting, self-loathing creatures who have never known love.

In other words, good people.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It means going to Shibuya crossing and seeing a bunch of go karts pull up with people dressed as Nintendo characters with the guy in front at the red lights standing up his kart screaming "Yeah boi!" and taking selfies. Immediately after that some tourists took too long taking photos in the middle of the crossing and held everything up and a week ago in the same spot some dumb tourist violated rules by flying a drone overhead which is illegal.

It's like **** off. You're annoying. Japanese people find you irritating and so do expats. That's what weeaboo means to me living in Japan, people who just come along and do dumb YouTuber stuff just because it's Japan. They don't think about being a public nuisance or holding up traffic, they just "hurr durr it's Japan"

Recently someone thought it would be fun to stick a camera on a sushi conveyor belt and record all the customers. People are eating, they are not there to be tools for your social media clicks.

Being a weeaboo isn't just about liking Anime, it's not about enjoying Japan it's just about coming out and gawking at everything and pretending everything in Japan is the best. "In Japan school children have to clean the classroom, this installs respect and shows why Japanese schools are superior." What about having to still go into school 6 days a week? These kinds of statements are irritating.

I'd post that Filthy Frank video if I could but I'd probably get instantly banned for it.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yea DBZ was the gateway drug for many people before they started getting into harder shit. So it is the beginning of weebery.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
As for what makes a Weeb that's easy. Someone who is obsessed with Japan and their culture. They tend to view it as superior than other cultures, including their own. Which is ironic considering how racist and xenophobic Japan is.
I don't know where you are from, but it's also ironic when I see this sentiment coming from countries with their own history of racism and xenophobia that is easier for someone to see from the outside than acknowledge when you are surrounded by it. Pot calling the kettle black, as it were. Throwing stones in a glass house, etc.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in the projects of New York City. Most of us black folk could only afford local tv. So before school the choices were save by the bell or DBZ.

It ain't weeb, and anyone who can disagree can catch these digital hands.
I lived in the Bronx growing up. Can confirm. (Edit: At least as far as what was on local TV. Can only speak as someone who migrated from Ireland, but we sure as hell weren't getting anything beyond over the air TV)
DBZ > Zach and his jerk highschool friends any day all day.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Weeaboo = someone who opts to play video games with Japanese language audio (but they don't speak Japanese) and require subtitles of their native tongue.

So if I started off similar to that but now speak fluently and work in a Japanese company, what am I?
Is it like an evolved Weaboo form similar to Pokemon evolutions?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
To me it's someone who's white and obsessed with Japan. Identifies more with their culture then where he's at.

Always checking in from any Japanese restaurant, movie, festival on FB.

Desperately wants a Japanese girlfriend, if he could potentially get someone else he will turn them down instantly.

In frustration writes stuff like "If you want a Japanese girl all you need is money".

I know someone like this.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
to me its like someone calling someone else a n***** lover. trying to gatekeep someone else's interests by casting them into some stereotype to other-ize them by association. i don't like it. but i also understand its jokey too so its difficult to pass immediate judgement on its use.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
DBZ is too mainstream.

To me a weeaboo is someone who worships a caricature of Japanese culture in a very embarrassing way. They usually lack self awareness.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Point of Comparison
For me, the word as a bad connotation. It's used by somebody that hates Japanese culture to denigrate somebody else that does. The w-word is similar to the n-word however. Between fans of Japanese media, it can be used to poke fun of oneself and becomes an insult otherwise. Some people, like me, doesn't like to be called the w-word at all. Can I love Japanese media without being called the w-word. I believe that, yes, I can.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the word as a bad connotation. It's used by somebody that hates Japanese culture to denigrate somebody else that does. The w-word is similar to the n-word however. Between fans of Japanese media, it can be used to poke fun of oneself and becomes an insult otherwise. Some people, like me, doesn't like to be called the w-word at all. Can I love Japanese media without being called the w-word. I believe that, yes, I can.

Is this a copypasta?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Weeb.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

What does that have to do with culture? I like japanese culture, I like korean culture, Taiwanese culture, Chinese culture etc.
And I can call out problematic parts of the culture. Japanese culture isnt just "anime/manga/games" but thats what it is to a lot of "weebs".

In my personal experience the people most obnoxious about that hobby/the "weebs" are actually the ones that know the least about the country, people, society, hobby. I knew a lot of people who where so obnoxious about that, but only knew Naruto, some weird ass ecchi shows and nothing besides it.

Weebs are the ones that are saying "Wow, look at you. Listen to this shit music. I listen to superior japanese music!" "Well. In Naruto people die so its a real mature show!" "Japanese girls are far superior to western ones! So cute!" "Girugamesh!"

Fuck. I would argue I have the biggest physical manga collection here on Era maybe (over 1300 books as of now), but I do not go around talking about a "superior culture" or how "anime/manga greatest artform." or how everyone should watch Attack on Titan.
But no one really called me a weeb/weeaboo in RL.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of my YouTube history is in Japanese or from a Japanese property so I guess I'm a weeb.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Anime avatars and people whose lives revolve around anime and Japanese culture. Lately, though, having alt-right leanings and being a garbage human being in general is becoming par for the course for weebs so the first two categories I mention sound not so bad in contrast.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Is this a copypasta?
No. I just typed that.

What does that have to do with culture? I like japanese culture, I like korean culture, Taiwanese culture, Chinese culture etc.
And I can call out problematic parts of the culture. Japanese culture isnt just "anime/manga/games" but thats what it is to a lot of "weebs".

In my personal experience the people most obnoxious about that hobby/the "weebs" are actually the ones that know the least about the country, people, society, hobby. I knew a lot of people who where so obnoxious about that, but only knew Naruto, some weird ass ecchi shows and nothing besides it.

Weebs are the ones that are saying "Wow, look at you. Listen to this shit music. I listen to superior japanese music!" "Well. In Naruto people die so its a real mature show!" "Japanese girls are far superior to western ones! So cute!" "Girugamesh!"

Fuck. I would argue I have the biggest physical manga collection here on Era maybe (over 1300 books as of now), but I do not go around talking about a "superior culture" or how "anime/manga greatest artform." or how everyone should watch Attack on Titan.

Well, culture. Hate of Japan in general. In that sense. If you were to like anything from Japan, technology, movies/shows, manga, history, etc... and actually show it to somebody that, well, doesn't like it, you'd be called the w-word. I won't deny that I like Japan; past manga and whatnot. I refuse to be called the w-word because of an interest.

And I agree with the second half of the last sentence. I'm the same.

---

May I remind you all that it's my opinion. You may agree or not with it. It's fine but, please, don't pick me for it.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime avatars and people whose lives revolve around anime and Japanese culture. Lately, though, having alt-right leanings and being a garbage human being in general is becoming par for the course for weebs so the first two categories I mention sound not so bad in contrast.

We're not all alt right trash. Sometimes it feels like Era treats anime fans and alt right / incels as the same thing.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Well, culture. Hate Japan in general. In that sense. If you were to like anything from Japan, technology, movies/shows, manga, history, etc... and actually show it to somebody that, well, doesn't like it, you'd be called the w-word. I won't deny that I like Japan; past manga and whatnot. I refuse to be called the w-word because of an interest.

No one called me a weeb in RL for reading manga and watching anime and liking certain parts of Japan, even people who do not like Japan. I also do not bring that up in random convos because its a hobby/entertainment to me, not my whole identity.

And that is in my opinion the difference between someone who just sees it as a hobby and someone who bases their identity, their decor etc. around it. I do not go around saying how everyone should watch Tatami Galaxy randomly. Other people though have to insert their love of a medium or a country into conversations that do not have anything to do with it or even defend bad parts of their culture (sexualization of minors) and somehow revolve their whole identity around that and try to convert and "evangelize" people about a hobby they like.

Small anecdote: At university I had chinese classes in the asian department of our University. Before our class was a japanese class. 1/4th of the attendants literally were wearing cosplay to a university lesson. The other 1/4th were wearing Visual Kei stuff. The other half looked normal. The japanese teacher told us one day how she hates how a lot of people come to class like this and just focus on that one aspect of their culture.

We're not all alt right trash. Sometimes it feels like Era treats anime fans and alt right / incels as the same thing.

I think the problem is that, at least on the internet, how it seems, a big part of the fandom (or maybe just the loudest?) has some pretty strange views. Sankakucomplex is big. MAL comments are full of "fuck SJW crap" stuff. Heck. Even on ANN you often see racism against other countries in the comments of news. Crunchyroll is also full of those "GG-like" leaning people. And those are some of the biggest anime communities in the western world.

Last edited:

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware, but anime fans with those leanings are becoming really loud whenever anything anime related pop up (see anything related to Japanese games and attempts to alter content to fit tastes outside of Japan). There was a marathon by a podcast just a few days ago that attempt read a document for an hour filled with Crunchyroll threads and forum posts and they had to change what they were reading because the content was too vile and gross with misogyny and racist garbage. Those who are just into Japanese stuff like the classic definition of weebs are all right in my book, though, even if we don't have much to talk about related to it.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Weeaboo = someone who opts to play video games with Japanese language audio (but they don't speak Japanese) and require subtitles of their native tongue.
What about those playing games with Japanese Audio with English Subtitles while having a whole another native language like me? Subtitles are awesome. Learned my two foreign languages from it, English and yes Japanese.

On Topic : People who for no rhyme or reason just sprinkled Japanese words in everyday conversation. Can't stand those ugh

Last edited:

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No one called me a weeb in RL for reading manga and watching anime and liking certain parts of Japan, even people who do not like Japan. I also do not bring that up in random convos because its a hobby/entertainment to me, not my whole identity.

And that is in my opinion the difference between someone who just sees it as a hobby and someone who bases their identity, their decor etc. around it. I do not go around saying how everyone should watch Tatami Galaxy randomly. Other people though have to insert their love of a medium or a country into conversations that do not have anything to do with it or even defend bad parts of their culture (sexualization of minors) and somehow revolve their whole identity around that and try to convert and "evangelize" people about a hobby they like.

I get you. I dunno but, for me, I always saw the w-word in the context I mentionned and not from people that likes one one aspect of Japan. EDIT: Well, no, I saw that too but most often in the bad manner toward somebody that likes Japan.

Small anecdote: At university I had chinese classes in the asian department of our University. Before our class was a japanese class. 1/4th of the attendants literally were wearing cosplay to a university lesson. The other 1/4th were wearing Visual Kei stuff. The other half looked normal. The japanese teacher told us one day how she hates how a lot of people come to class like this and just focus on that one aspect of their culture.

Heh. Shows how serious some people are in regards to their studies.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A weaboo, to me; is someone who blindly fetishizes Japanese pop culture as a consumable item and disregards the rest of Japanese culture while treating Japanese people as if they exist to fulfill their fantasies. It's boorish and disrespectful.

Japan has very cool pop culture. But keep your enjoyment of it grounded in reality.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Anime Avatar
You regularly watch more than one anime
You regularly read manga
90% of the video games you play are Japanese
You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available
You collect traditional Japanese things
You've attended an anime convention
You own anime themed clothing
You took Japanese as a foreign language in school
You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What does the word mean to you?

Who are the weebs? What do they consume?

Is Dragon Ball Z for weebs?

Does any and all Japanese media consumption brand you a weeb?
1) It depends on context.

If it's self-deprecating, I've found it usually means you're a person without Japanese heritage who thinks Japanese culture is fascinating and like learning about it and respectfully engaging with it, but are aware to the average Westerner that might seem weird. As a friendly joke towards a friend it's used the same way too.

When used as an insult, it's the same, assumption being your interest in Japanese culture is inherently strange.

When used by Asian Americans or allies to criticize problematic members of, say, the anime or gaming community, it's used to describe people who fetishize Japanese culture who aren't of Japanese heritage. (Japanese people who do that are just nationalist.)

2) Again, depends on context. First and second cases, anything produced in Japan, related to either traditional or popular culture. Third case, generally a lot of random Japanese paraphernalia without actually understanding the context behind it in tandem with pop culture merch like body pillows or titty figures. Not that non-weebs can't buy the latter, it's just they tend to.

3) Dragon Ball Z is generally not the anime of choice for variety 3 weebs (though some people who insist on using Japanese pronunciations in English for names clearly meant to be puns are pretty borderline- Kakarot vs. Kakarotto or Piccolo vs. Piccoro, for example). The former two may. But a lot of people just like Dragonball without even considering country of origin.

4) No. The first type of weeb is more or less self-appointed. If you don't want to be one, don't call yourself one or ask your friends to stop. The second is an insult, and generally, used for people who are in no way actually worthy of being called one. The third is extensive fetishization of Japanese culture to the point one simultaneously worships it and feels they know what it means to be Japanese better than Japanese people.

FINAL NOTE, IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO GET ITS OWN SECTION
Weeb can also be a racist term, anecdotally to several Japanese people I've talked to. Not inherently, but rather, when used in the type 1 or 2 way against... Japanese people or characters. Do not call Japanese people weebs. Genji is not a weeb, he is Japanese. Any given samurai character of Japanese heritage is not a weeb, they're Japanese. And so on. To call a Japanese person weird or undesirable, even as a joke, for being interested in their own culture, is fuckin' wack. Now, wrt 3, a Japanese person can fetishize their own culture and elevate it onto a pedestal as categorically better than all others, but as said earlier, that's just nationalism.

I hope my post has been helpful. To any Japanese diaspora or those living in Japan itt, feel free to correct me though.

Oct 30, 2017
Someone who tells me its better subtitled with Japanese voices when they don't understand Japanese besides the words they learned from Naruto and One Piece.

I kind of get the impression that people who think this way haven't actually explored much out of their cultural comfort zone

Opera, foreign film, and most traditional audio/visual storytelling just gives people subtitles and not a fully translated experience because the people who like these things realize that language is an integral part of storytelling - and why wouldn't you try to get as close to a piece of art as you can? Seems very close-minded to me to insist on avoiding other languages

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
WORSE than the NWORD

Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Anime Avatar ✓
You regularly watch more than one Anime ✓
You regularly read manga ✓
90% of the video games you play are Japanese
You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available ✓
You collect traditional Japanese things
You've attended an anime convention ✓
You own anime themed clothing ✓
You took Japanese as a foreign language in school
You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

Thats's 6 for me

main-qimg-bb8606fbfa3574e370382fb8c44e388b

Do I get a bonus point if the anime themed clothing is of my own design?

Last edited:

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
I like to watch action Anime is that weeabo also or do you have to wear costumes and do weird shit like naruto run.
Edit: Yes i only watch subbed Anime, the Dub is so cringy and fail to replicate the atmosphere of the creator

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Actually fetishizing the anime culture is a web for me. People who actively watch every anime show of the season are weebs for me.
On the other Hand, naming them is also shaming them and that's somehow cruel.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who are native English speakers who refer to Attack on Titan as "Shingeki no Kyojin" or My Hero Academia as "Boku no Hero Academia."

Aka the absolute worst people.